Cedric Mullins Eastern League Player of the Week

weams

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

My quarrel with Mullins is his lack of power.When Manny and Adam leave as they will, we will be looking at a major power decrease in this lineup.I wish we had a more dangerous hitter in terms of power. Everything else looks pretty good in his skill set.

Good defense, speed, and a good OBP would be a welcome addition to this team.  It seems the only way he'll play CF is if Jones is traded, so that's what I am hoping for.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

My quarrel with Mullins is his lack of power.When Manny and Adam leave as they will, we will be looking at a major power decrease in this lineup.I wish we had a more dangerous hitter in terms of power. Everything else looks pretty good in his skill set.

If your only quarrel with Mullins is his power, then he'd be a perfect player.  Power is one of his strengths.  Remember, he had 61 XBH's at Delmarva in 2016, and he's slugging .510 this season.  This is the first year he's also hitting with a very good OBP.  Meanwhile, Adam's OBP has reached the terrible range.  He's not a good hitter, anymore.  He's a very poor defensive CFer.  His decline is one of the many reasons the O's are falling apart.  It's become sad to watch him.

You're right. It would be great if Mullins projected as a guy who can hit HR, too. But we don't have a potential Mookie Betts in the system that I know of.

As -- maybe I should say if -- this team gets younger, and loses Manny and probably Schoop -- it will have much less power. We'll probably have some frustrating games, or stretches, where we lose because we get out-homered, especially at home, Albert Speer Stadium or Fenway. I hope that the younger Orioles have a lot more speed, better defense, and higher OBP. Some of them will probably gain power as they move into their mid- and late 20s. We'll have to see.

What's the alternative? Who's our CFer after this season if not Mullins?

Slugging % for O's prospects at Bowie:

Mullins .510

Mountcastle  .471

Santander   .409

Hays  .374

Rifaela  .359

And power really isn't the problem with any of them.  It's learning how to hit.  

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I am hoping Jones is traded and Mullins takes his place.  I believe Mullins is a better major league CF than Jones right now, taking into account hitting and fielding.  How many runs would Mullins save in CF over Jones over a season.  Is 20 runs an exaggeration?

I am hoping for this scenario too, but I'd take the OF overhaul even further: Stewart to LF, Mancini to 1B, Davis and Trumbo platoon at DH.  Then when Hays is healthy and hitting again, put him in RF.  I'd tune in every night to watch that young outfield, no matter how poor our record is.

I'd take a team of 15 homer guys if they all had .380+ OBPs.  

48 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If your only quarrel with Mullins is his power, then he'd be a perfect player.  Power is one of his strengths.  Remember, he had 61 XBH's at Delmarva in 2016, and he's slugging .510 this season.  This is the first year he's also hitting with a very good OBP.  Meanwhile, Adam's OBP has reached the terrible range.  He's not a good hitter, anymore.  He's a very poor defensive CFer.  His decline is one of the many reasons the O's are falling apart.  It's become sad to watch him.

image.png.744bf4a253fa977ec3bcb4d8c7798389.png

Honestly, I do not see the decline. 

Mullins would make a great lead off bat. OBP, SH, SB, 2B/3B hitter, plus defense. B Rob II any one?

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nothing about the Orioles outfield makes sense, when Buck thinks it's ok to play Mancini, Jones and Trumbo at the same time.  

How about tonight, when it's Peterson, Jones and Trumbo in the outfield.

And Davis batting cleanup.

32 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Leave Mullins and all our top prospects in minors for the season. Don't let them near this cesspool until the field and FO are totally revamped.

Huh? You think it is infectious?

Archived