Embrace the Losing

wildcard

The O's are having a great losing season.   They lead all of baseball with 38 loses and are in 2nd with fewest wins to the White Sox with 17 wins to the Sox 16.    So if the O's are not going to win,  let's embrace the race for the highest draft choice.  That is the way the O's got Manny.  So instead on getting mad or disappointed when the O's lose, be glad.   Be glad that the O's are positioning themselves for the future.

So how do we watch the games and enjoy them?   Don't root for winning.   Root for individual players to do well.   Root for Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach to improve their trade value with good performances.   Root of young players like Sisco, Mancini,  and Schoop to have good seasons and be ready to help next year and in the future. In fact,  this is prefect time to extend Schoop during the season.  The distraction could help him.

Root for  Givens, Scott, Castro, Hart and Bleier to have good seasons and be part the future pen.

Root for the starters to allow 3 runs or less.  During last night's game they showed that if a team holds its opponent to 3 runs or less they win 70% of the time.  So if we see the O's doing that its good for the future. So what if the offense stinks.  The O's can work on fitting that for the future.  Wouldn't it be nice to have 7 starters all with ERAs under 4.00.   Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Harvey and Akin could do that next year.  With two of them in the pen the O's could afford to let a starter like Cashner only pitch 5 innings.  That is what the Nats are doing with Hellickson and its working.

Root for Mullins, Steward, Hays, Santander, Akins, McKenna, Luis Gonzalez to do well and be part of the solution in the future.

I say play Chris Davis every game.  He is helping us lose which is the team's best direction now.   And get him to try to hit the ball to left field.   Beat the shift.  This is the perfect time for him to perfect that skill during games.

So lets have the O's take advantage of the position they find themselves in.   Embrace the Losing. Get the #1 draft choice.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Was Manny the first overall selection? I don’t believe that’s the cause.

The thing that is mystifying is that they appear in no rush to trade the veterans that have value.

Manny was picked third overall.  But the O's got him by losing 98 games  in 2009.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The thing that is mystifying is that they appear in no rush to trade the veterans that have value.

Other than the Thrift "purge" when has this organization ever conducted business with urgency? I don't think there will be a rebuild because of the structure in place. They are incapable of making multiple meaningful trades or "do what it takes" because of the stagnant organizational flow.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is the thing that gets me. I understand the idea of wanting to put a competitive team out there, but you are 21 games under .500 with the veterans you have.  Guys from AA and AAA could probably do about the same. There is no justification for not trading off veteran pieces and getting younger. 

I'd be putting everyone that has less then three years of control on the block. 

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is the thing that gets me. I understand the idea of wanting to put a competitive team out there, but you are 21 games under .500 with the veterans you have.  Guys from AA and AAA could probably do about the same. There is no justification for not trading off veteran pieces and getting younger. 

I'd be putting everyone that has less then three years of control on the block. 

1st)  the contending teams have to  sure enough on their needs to part with top minor league talent.  That seem to have not happened  yet.  It will probably happens in July.   2nd) with so many teams tanking their will be competition for the contender top minor talent.   3rd)  Their are only a few O's that will be attractive to contending teams to give up useful minor league talent.  Manny, maybe Britton if he shows he is healthy and effective.  Jones and maybe Brach if he is pitching well and their is not better relievers on the market.

I’m embracing not watching baseball.    Read the paper, read a book, watch hockey, watch a TV show that isn’t sports.    Check the score on my phone and tune in around the 7th inning if we’re actually winning.    Watch the post-game show (which I’ve named “Gloatfest”) if they win.   Otherwise, pretend this season really isn’t happening.    

It’s working pretty well, but the absence of unhappiness is not happiness.  

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's are having a great losing season.   They lead all of baseball with 38 loses and are in 2nd with fewest wins to the White Sox with 17 wins to the Sox 16.    So if the O's are not going to win,  let's embrace the race for the highest draft choice.  That is the way the O's got Manny.  So instead on getting mad or disappointed when the O's lose, be glad.   Be glad that the O's are positioning themselves for the future.

So how do we watch the games and enjoy them?   Don't root for winning.   Root for individual players to do well.   Root for Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach to improve their trade value with good performances.   Root of young players like Sisco, Mancini,  and Schoop to have good seasons and be ready to help next year and in the future. In fact,  this is prefect time to extend Schoop during the season.  The distraction could help him.

Root for  Givens, Scott, Castro, Hart and Bleier to have good seasons and be part the future pen.

Root for the starters to allow 3 runs or less.  During last night's game they showed that if a team holds its opponent to 3 runs or less they win 70% of the time.  So if we see the O's doing that its good for the future. So what if the offense stinks.  The O's can work on fitting that for the future.  Wouldn't it be nice to have 7 starters all with ERAs under 4.00.   Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Harvey and Akin could do that next year.  With two of them in the pen the O's could afford to let a starter like Cashner only pitch 5 innings.  That is what the Nats are doing with Hellickson and its working.

Root for Mullins, Steward, Hays, Santander, Akins, McKenna, Luis Gonzalez to do well and be part of the solution in the future.

I say play Chris Davis every game.  He is helping us lose which is the team's best direction now.   And get him to try to hit the ball to left field.   Beat the shift.  This is the perfect time for him to perfect that skill during games.

So lets have the O's take advantage of the position they find themselves in.   Embrace the Losing. Get the #1 draft choice.

Embrace the Losing!  Because Respect the Process was already taken.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

When I turn on a game it is usually with no sound. I read a book and look up once in a while. I expect to take more interest when there are different, younger players on the field.

Joe and Brob (Otter and Ben) are entertaining and give sidelights on matchups, pitching sequences, batting, other team players, relationships, etc.  When those pairings happen, I do listen to them with sound muted on tv.  A good crossword or I suppose a good glass of wine might be nice also while the game airs.  I do want to see Max and David Hess tonight, though, with sound appropriately muted.

There is currently no Bryce Harper, but you never know who will emerge this summer and fall. I have indeed Embraced the Losing. 

I'd like to see Mancini moved to 1st and DH Davis. 

I'd like to see Hays brought up in July. 

I'd like to see Wynns platoon with Sisco. 

I'd like to see Mullins brought up in July after Jones is traded. 

I'm already thinking about next season. 

Archived