Bruce Kison Died (MLB Pitcher and Longtime Orioles Scout)

OFFNY

o

Kison pitched for 15 seasons in the Majors, from 1971 through 1985.

He won 115 games while losing 88, had a career ERA of 3.66, and had 36 Complete Games and 8 Shutouts.

In that span, his teams won 6 division titles (1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1979, and 1982) and 2 World Series titles (1971 and 1979.)

He was also the Orioles' pitching coach in 1999, the Orioles' bullpen coach in 2007, and was a long-time Orioles scout.

Kison was 68 years-old.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1002952786454212608

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kisonbr01.shtml

Image result for Bruce Kison

o

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Kison pitched for 15 seasons in the Majors, from 1971 through 1985.

He won 115 games while losing 88, had a career ERA of 3.66, and had 36 Complete Games and 8 Shutouts.

In that span, his teams won 6 division titles (1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1979, and 1982) and 2 World Series titles (1971 and 1979.)

He was also the Orioles' pitching coach in 1999, the Orioles' bullpen coach in 2007, and was a long-time Orioles scout.

Kison was 68 years-old.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1002952786454212608

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kisonbr01.shtml

Image result for Bruce Kison

o

Wow only 68. That's young in my book. My thoughts and prayers to out to his family. 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

'71, also.

o

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

and he beat us in the 79 WS with a sidearm delivery....RIP

Actually,  Bruce Kison pitched in relief in TWO games as a rookie in the 1971 Series...the first game he pitched in was Game 2 when he came in after the starter Bob Johnson had already imploded....Kison walked the only two batters he faced and then Bob Moose came in and imploded further and we won 11-3.  We all remember the great game he pitched in game four in 1971-he was thrown  in the first inning of Game 4 after we had already scored 3 runs off Luke Walker and he shut us down into the seventh and was excellent- he also clobbered Davey Johnson in breaking up a double play with a hard slide and the Pirates came back to win the game 4-3 tying the Series at 2-2.

In 1979, he was the Game 1 starter in the freezing cold and got hammered in the first inning giving up three hits, issued two walks, and threw a wild pitch and  Decinces homer leading to five runs (four earned) and was lifted after registering just one out in Pittsburgh’s 5-4 loss.  His arm was bothering him and he was unable to start Game 5 and was replaced by Jim Rooker who pitched the Pirates to a 7-1 win in what would have been an elimination game as we were up 3-1.  It brought the Series back to Memorial with us up 3-2 games and we lost both at home.   GRRRR.       Rest in peace, Bruce...too young!

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Bruce, Willie Stargell, Manny Sanguillen and Dock Ellis were the only Pirates on BOTH teams.   

o

Ellis pitched in 3 games for the Pirates in September of 1979, but he was not on (or eligible for) the postseason roster.

o

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Actually,  Bruce Kison pitched in relief in TWO games as a rookie in the 1971 Series...the first game he pitched in was Game 2 when he came in after the starter Bob Johnson had already imploded....Kison walked the only two batters he faced and then Bob Moose came in and imploded further and we won 11-3.  We all remember the great game he pitched in game four in 1971-he was thrown  in the first inning of Game 4 after we had already scored 3 runs off Luke Walker and he shut us down into the seventh and was excellent- he also clobbered Davey Johnson in breaking up a double play with a hard slide and the Pirates came back to win the game 4-3 tying the Series at 2-2.

In 1979, he was the Game 1 starter in the freezing cold and got hammered in the first inning giving up three hits, issued two walks, and threw a wild pitch and  Decinces homer leading to five runs (four earned) and was lifted after registering just one out in Pittsburgh’s 5-4 loss.  His arm was bothering him and he was unable to start Game 5 and was replaced by Jim Rooker who pitched the Pirates to a 7-1 win in what would have been an elimination game as we were up 3-1.  It brought the Series back to Memorial with us up 3-2 games and we lost both at home.   GRRRR.       Rest in peace, Bruce...too young!

I watched a long clip of the ‘71 Series a couple of weeks back and I remember Kison well (even then, I was about to turn 10 the next week). Rest in peace. 

Still a sore spot that the O’s lost either Series. Blass and Clemente stepped up and were huge for them in ‘71. The reason I was looking at the clip was a YouTube search for Clemente’s best throws. 

14 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Ellis pitched in 3 games for the Pirates in September of 1979, but he was not on (or eligible for) the postseason roster.

o

Stand corrected...though I think I read somewhere that he had two rings which is why I thought that. 

And that game 4 that Bruce Kison was the star of in the 71 Series ?

...was the first night game in  WS history.  

Watch from 2:30-6:15 of this clip(or the whole thing from the start) of the NBC pregame show for Game 5 which recaps Kison’s game 4...I laughed out loud at Kison clobbering Johnson and picking up the wrong cap...lol...wonderful to see interviewed by Sandy Koufax and my goodness, how young Bruce was at the time.   His family will surely treasure the memories forever, I am sure. 

• 1 hour ago, tntoriole said:
    • And that game 4 that Bruce Kison was the star of in the 71 Series ?
    • ...was the first night game in  WS history.  
    • Watch from 2:30-6:15 of this clip(or the whole thing from the start) of the NBC pregame show for Game 5 which recaps Kison’s game 4...I laughed out loud at Kison clobbering Johnson and picking up the wrong cap...lol...wonderful to see interviewed by Sandy Koufax and my goodness, how young Bruce was at the time.   His family will surely treasure the memories forever, I am sure. 
    •  
    •  

Nice interviews. Actual conversation.

Archived