How did they get this bad?

connja

39 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Got a feeling it’s going to take another 10+ years to turn things around again.

This is what your owner should say to signing a utility infielder.  OK and I hope he can help out the team.

Are Angelos and sons going over scouting reports and watching video.  smh 

The way it should work is that the owner should have his say on major financial decisions.  They should have a budget agreed to where the GM can sign players and commit to a certain year and dollar value before getting ownership approval.  The fact that we need ownership approval for a utility player is criminal.  Heck, even approval for spending the money on Alex Cobb, at a huge position of need,  was criminal.  If I was an owner, I would need approval for contracts totaling $100 million plus. terms over five years and/or worth over $20 million annually.  Otherwise, I am leaving the decisions to the baseball guys who know what they are doing.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

DD did not want Trey on the roster and didn’t want to sign Pedro?  

DD did not want Davis or Trumbo. Hence the stacking of DH/1B types and more importantly some pretty serious salary commitments. 

This isn’t rocket science and by the same token this isn’t to deflect blame from DD to Buck.  The team is f’d up beyond reason and it’s personal politics to try and constantly cast aspersions on one person. I say that to those who blame DD or Buck or even Brady. 

DD has done a good job not perfect. He has also been increasingly undermined and this is no longer a question of if but simply how much. Buck inspired this group to be better than anyone thought it could. Brady loves the O’s. PA is willing to spend. 

Somehow this group functioned until it didn’t. I really don’t care who any person chooses to blame. The org chart isn’t designed in a fashion that is functioning. And more importantly no one is held accountable. That’s on ownership and there is no other credible way to see it. 

Unfortunately, from here it gets a lot worse before it gets better and we cannot even begin to see the bottom until there is accountability. Ownership needs to name a GM, give him/her a budget and announce the rebuild.

My fear is that just as we are allowing current leadership to trade Manny and Zack and others...we will be told we are retooling and we are going for it next year too.  Of course that is doubling down on a bad bet to begin with.  The window is closed. We had a choice to go all in or to rebuild about a year ago. We chose neither and now the only real choice is to rebuild. The question is when will the organization admit it. Until it does, the beatings will continue. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That makes no sense.

I've said it before, there needs to be a section of this forum where the profanity flood gates can open. This is a piece of news that reinforces that feeling.

With all the negativity every day, I thought "Ok, I will at least wait to see what hopefully exciting, young talents we can acquire in some big profile trades" so I'm given something to look forward to. And yet, I get Hanley Ramirez rumors who makes no sense from a roster perspective and plus....I just don't like Hanley. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No it doesn't because the team still has too many DH's.  Now if they cut Davis and Trumbo they could move Mancini to first and DH Hanley.

I hear you, but at least it’s an upgrade.   

7 hours ago, foxfield said:

Interesting because these items you site are not the work of DD. 

But, I have no problem with him moving on. He is the only one of our Front Office “problems” that will absolutely not extend. That makes you happy of course...but it should make you wonder. 

Is this where we are as fans? Basically anything that is *most likely* Dan's responsibility...is no longer his responsibility because we want to blame some bugaboo? I fear that Tony's article, whereas informational, has turned things into simply black or white. I.e. anything prior to 2015 was all Duquette and anything after is "if it's a minor move, it's Duquette...anything more is somebody else". And that's sad.

Truth be told, Duquette has been infatuated with 1 dimensional players his entire tenure with the O's. The sheer volume of DH types that he picked up off the scrap heap and/or traded for is approaching a dozen. At least a few listed by @connja are in some way, shape or form a function of Dan Duquette. You *might* be able to make the case that Davis isn't, but certainly Alvarez AND Trumbo are 100% on Duquette. Mancini I don't think is fair...I think a competent front office would have traded Trumbo for Clevenger considering the log jam and racial epithets. But they also would have seen Trumbo's track record and the makeup of the roster and realized that a long term Trumbo contract would have been irresponsible. So 1 year? Fine. Anything more? No thank you.

I'd have loved a Trey Mancini as a DH and then not have any of Trumbo, Alvarez, Valencia, etc. Unless only 1 of them is a PH/platoon type at DH. But the problem is Duquette year in and year out seemingly has like 3-6 of them on the roster throughout the year. Which is a huge reason why this club sucks from a defensive standpoint. And that is NOT Buck's fault.

Archived