2018 38th Round (1135) Slade Cecconi - RHP - Trinity Prep School (FL)

1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Gary Rajsich said on The Fan this morning that they really like Cecconi but referred to him as a "back up plan" and that they wanted to hold his negotiating rights in case he changes his mind or there is an unexpected pile of money they can offer him. 

Sounds like he's a backup plan in case someone like Knight asks for an outrageous amount of money. And as others have mentioned Knight really doesn't have much leverage to ask for a lot more than slot. I don't see our first two picks asking or getting overslot so I'm not sure who else would command more money.

When the SD talks about an insurance plan, it is usually about a back-up plan in case someone in the first 10 rounds turns down an above slot offer.  

Maybe we can free up $500k or so from the bonus offer to our second pick to sign this kid - who would appear to be a much better prospect.

Disappointing to think we did not have a pre-draft deal to take this kid with our second round pick and then have big $ for someone else.

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

When the SD talks about an insurance plan, it is usually about a back-up plan in case someone in the first 10 rounds turns down an above slot offer.  

Maybe we can free up $500k or so from the bonus offer to our second pick to sign this kid - who would appear to be a much better prospect.

Disappointing to think we did not have a pre-draft deal to take this kid with our second round pick and then have big $ for someone else.

The O's didn't have a second round pick.

They forfeited it when they signed Cobb.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's didn't have a second round pick.

They forfeited it when they signed Cobb.

I meant our second pick - just so used to typing round after it.

Thanks for correcting the error.

I asked around, and I was told he was not signing. Has a strong Miami commitment and really had little interest in signing if he wasn’t a top half first round money pick. When he’s healthy, he’s legit. But that is not more than half the time. Good kid and all, but better to pass for now and see him in three years.

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I asked around, and I was told he was not signing. Has a strong Miami commitment and really had little interest in signing if he wasn’t a top half first round money pick. When he’s healthy, he’s legit. But that is not more than half the time. Good kid and all, but better to pass for now and see him in three years.

Hard pass from me dog.

37 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yeah, I figured if he wanted 2nd/3rd money, he’d have been drafted there.

Archived