2018 38th Round (1135) Slade Cecconi - RHP - Trinity Prep School (FL)

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t know his number, but my impression is that Luke is correct. I will see what I can find out. 

Will definitely take a few more zero's than the 100k allotted. MLB.com had him ranked at #63. Here is MLB's scouting report:

Cecconi's summer started with a bang as he lit up radar guns at the Perfect Game National Showcase. He kept it up with a strong showing at USA Baseball's Tournament of Stars and made the 18U National Team's trial roster, though he did not make the final cut. And that was it, leaving scouts wishing they had seen more of the right-hander on the showcase circuit.

Scouts had to wait even longer this spring to see the projectable high schooler at Trinity Prep outside of Orlando, as a triceps issue kept him off the mound until late April. He was up to 96-97 mph in those summer outings, and sat in the mid 90s without too much effort, though he wasn't close to that when he first returned to action this spring. He has the prototypical projectable build at 6-foot-4 with room to add strength. Cecconi throws two breaking balls, with scouts preferring his low-80s tight slider to his slow curveball, though he does show the ability to spin that as well. He has some feel for a changeup and stays in the strike zone fairly well with a quick arm and balanced delivery.

Cecconi's summer definitely whetted scouts' appetites, though there was some concern over why he didn't participate in more events. There are still unanswered questions, the toughest one being what it will take to sign him away from his commitment to the University of Miami.

The slot money for the #63 pick in the draft is $1,035,500. My guess it will take close to that to get him signed. Worth the risk in round #38.

1 hour ago, markpolis said:

Will definitely take a few more zero's than the 100k allotted. MLB.com had him ranked at #63. Here is MLB's scouting report:

Cecconi's summer started with a bang as he lit up radar guns at the Perfect Game National Showcase. He kept it up with a strong showing at USA Baseball's Tournament of Stars and made the 18U National Team's trial roster, though he did not make the final cut. And that was it, leaving scouts wishing they had seen more of the right-hander on the showcase circuit.

Scouts had to wait even longer this spring to see the projectable high schooler at Trinity Prep outside of Orlando, as a triceps issue kept him off the mound until late April. He was up to 96-97 mph in those summer outings, and sat in the mid 90s without too much effort, though he wasn't close to that when he first returned to action this spring. He has the prototypical projectable build at 6-foot-4 with room to add strength. Cecconi throws two breaking balls, with scouts preferring his low-80s tight slider to his slow curveball, though he does show the ability to spin that as well. He has some feel for a changeup and stays in the strike zone fairly well with a quick arm and balanced delivery.

Cecconi's summer definitely whetted scouts' appetites, though there was some concern over why he didn't participate in more events. There are still unanswered questions, the toughest one being what it will take to sign him away from his commitment to the University of Miami.

The slot money for the #63 pick in the draft is $1,035,500. My guess it will take close to that to get him signed. Worth the risk in round #38.

My son and I know him fairly well. They’ve been playing against each other for years in high school and in summer tournaments and they are friendly. He’s been on scouts radar since he was a freshman. I will make an inquiry.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

My son and I know him fairly well. They’ve been playing against each other for years in high school and in summer tournaments and they are friendly. He’s been on scouts radar since he was a freshman. I will make an inquiry.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear his thoughts. Perhaps we can start a "gofundme" page to bridge the gap between his slot and asking price. ?

12 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Gary Rajsich said on The Fan this morning that they really like Cecconi but referred to him as a "back up plan" and that they wanted to hold his negotiating rights in case he changes his mind or there is an unexpected pile of money they can offer him. 

If they do a last minute deal with him let's hope it's before the deadline expires this time.

And yes I think it's smart to have a guy or two like this sitting around as insurance.

Archived