Could the leader we desperately need already be here?

Greg Pappas

There is a great deal of speculation about the future of the franchise, from who will be leading the team in the dugout, to who will be the head of baseball operations, and as it relates to the eventual change in ownership. 

With a good bit of Orioles fandom turned/turning apathetic towards this team, due to the pathetic performance on the field and the multiple-layered failings of both ownership and management, this franchise feels like a rudderless ship on stormy seas.  Amidst all of this, there may yet be a person in a position of power to right the ship and steer this organization back into what it could be and what it should be... a strong and respected Major League franchise.  That person just may be John Angelos.  I say "may be" because I know very little about the man, outside of what I've been able to gather from various articles or mentions online.  I like some of what I've been able to gather.  Other things, such as his seemingly strong relationship with Brady Anderson, is concerning.  

Because I lost faith in his father a long time ago, I had felt disinterested at the potential taking over of the team by John.  Yet, I learned at an early age not to judge people based upon their family members.  I reminded myself that while it's possible the apple didn't fall far from the tree, it's just as likely that John is a notably different apple altogether.  If John does eventually become the owner, I'll be the first to harshly criticize him if he maintains the status quo of his father's regime, but, before that, I'd welcome the change and give the man the fair shake he deserves. 

Regardless of whether John is this potential franchise-saving leader, or not, this team and we fans need more than a light at the end of the tunnel... we need a lighthouse.

I'd be very interested to read everyone's thoughts on this.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd definitely welcome the change, but wouldn't hesitate to criticize if things stayed the same as they are now. 

I'm not sure he's the light at the end of the tunnel, but he couldn't possibly be worse than his dad.

This franchise needs to clean house, and start fresh, but that cleaning has to start from the top, and I don't just mean personnel either, the entire direction of this team has to change.

Everything from the lack of international signings, the slow pace of the front office, no direction or idea of who's doing what job, down to the HR or bust offense has to change. Until that happens I don't think it matters if it's Peter or John Angelos running the team, things will stay the same.

I'd say it's 50-50.  Too soon to say.  I admire the optimism, though,

On one hand, I can't imagine someone being so tone-deaf to the way the team has been run since his father purchased it.

On the other, I look at him rubbing shoulders with Brady and I roll my eyes.

1 hour ago, billw76 said:

I'd definitely welcome the change, but wouldn't hesitate to criticize if things stayed the same as they are now. 

I'm not sure he's the light at the end of the tunnel, but he couldn't possibly be worse than his dad.

This franchise needs to clean house, and start fresh, but that cleaning has to start from the top, and I don't just mean personnel either, the entire direction of this team has to change.

Everything from the lack of international signings, the slow pace of the front office, no direction or idea of who's doing what job, down to the HR or bust offense has to change. Until that happens I don't think it matters if it's Peter or John Angelos running the team, things will stay the same.

Good post.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd say it's 50-50.  Too soon to say.  I admire the optimism, though,

On one hand, I can't imagine someone being so tone-deaf to the way the team has been run since his father purchased it.

On the other, I look at him rubbing shoulders with Brady and I roll my eyes.

50/50 seems about right.  We sure could use a shot in the arm here... because I'd like to believe that hope isn't a four-letter word. ?

7 hours ago, billw76 said:

Heck. Why stop at location.  That's a whole new direction. 

I was under the impression that Peter hasn't been involved in day-to-day operations for years. Though it seems clear that PA retains veto authority, John has been the de facto owner for some time. Just my view from the cheap seats, I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, beervendor said:

I was under the impression that Peter hasn't been involved in day-to-day operations for years. Though it seems clear that PA retains veto authority, John has been the de facto owner for some time. Just my view from the cheap seats, I could be wrong.

But has anything changed?    Is Peter still calling the shots on staying out of the international market?  Does he have to approve every trade?     I am just not sure that the talk of John and Lou being more involved means any change to the way the O's are run if Peter still makes the big decisions.

10 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

There is a great deal of speculation about the future of the franchise, from who will be leading the team in the dugout, to who will be the head of baseball operations, and as it relates to the eventual change in ownership. 

With a good bit of Orioles fandom turned/turning apathetic towards this team, due to the pathetic performance on the field and the multiple-layered failings of both ownership and management, this franchise feels like a rudderless ship on stormy seas.  Amidst all of this, there may yet be a person in a position of power to right the ship and steer this organization back into what it could be and what it should be... a strong a respected Major League franchise.  That person just may be John Angelos.  I say "may be" because I know very little about the man, outside of what I've been able to gather from various articles or mentions online.  I like some of what I've been able to gather.  Other things, such as his seemingly strong relationship with Brady Anderson, is concerning.  

Because I lost faith in his father a long time ago, I had felt disinterested at the potential taking over of the team by John.  Yet, I learned at an early age not to judge people based upon their family members.  I reminded myself that while it's possible the apple didn't fall far from the tree, it's just as likely that John is a notably different apple altogether.  If John does eventually become the owner, I'll be the first to harshly criticize him if he maintains the status quo of his father's regime, but, before that, I'd welcome the change and give the man the fair shake he deserves. 

Regardless of whether John is this potential franchise-saving leader, or not, this team and we fans need more than a light at the end of the tunnel... we need a lighthouse.

I'd be very interested to read everyone's thoughts on this.

I agree he does need a chance. I hope he is the answer. It depends on who he picks as the GM and if he allows the GM to pick the manager. If not then it's the SOS. 

9 hours ago, billw76 said:

The thing I am concerned about is the possible relocation of the team if it's not the Angelos Family. 

9 hours ago, billw76 said:

For better or worse he's probably OUR light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just not sure if that tunnel is 2 miles or 2,000 miles.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Heck. Why stop at location.  That's a whole new direction. 

I guess thats one way to possibly get an owner not named Angelos lol.

Unfortunately for me if the team moved I probably wouldn't be a fan anymore.

20 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

The thing I am concerned about is the possible relocation of the team if it's not the Angelos Family. 

That would concern me a little also, but how many teams in baseball or any of the major sports have moved because of an ownership change?

I may be wrong, and don't have time right now to look, but I would guess that most teams move because they can't get new stadiums built, or the fans just don't support the team.

I'm not sure if Angelos was to sell the team he could make a stipulation that the buyer has to agree to keep the team in Baltimore. Is that even legally possible? I'm not sure what the O's lease with the MD stadium authority for Camden Yards is either, and I'd guess they would oppose a move while under lease also.

Archived