Photography at Camden (calling all Moose Milligans)

Barnaby Graves

I remember a long time ago a member posted some nice crisp shots from the Yard and I think it was Mr. Moose.  And if I am wrong I apologize, but if I'm right, his expertise is wanted bigly!

I'm headed down for the Marlins games this weekend and would like to bring the camera, and have some basic questions like:

Is it a pain in the butt getting in with a DSLR and a few lenses in a backpack?

Do ushers get mad about wannabe photogs running around the stands for shots?

And some photographer-centric questions:

Where do you shoot for nice batter/pitcher shots?

With what gear?

What settings did you use?

I have a Nikon D750 and a 28-300/3.5-5.6, my longest lens because I never do this stuff, and if that's not long enough to shoot from box seats then I'm not going to bother.  But want to hear some opinions.  Thanks to anyone that can advise!

And also if anyone has personal shots from the Yard they are highly encouraged to post!

@Barnaby Graves

Yeah, I used to take my camera into games there.  It was a blast.  Have some good pictures from over the years.

It is NOT a pain to get in there with the DSLR and a few lenses.  I think the last time I took photos at a game was 2 years ago.  I am not sure what it is like right now, I know the Nats have an anti professional camera policy but the Orioles never have.  Might want to doublecheck online to see what the photo rules and regulations are.  But I used to haul a pretty big lens into the stadium, no one ever said anything.

The ushers behind home plate are the absolute worst.  Understandable when it's a packed house, but if it's in the later innings and you want to move down to take pics they still will swoop in and kick you out.  I used to make prints of my stuff and take it to games for one usher years ago, he'd let me stay for an inning or two.  The other ushers up the baselines and behind the dugouts can be a little more accommodating, but not by much.  If you move around, they will want to see your ticket to make sure that you actually belong in the lower bowl/box seats.   

I am not sure what your chances will be to get something clear and crisp with the new nets in place this year.  My tactic in this case would be waiting until you see a player that you want to take a photo of emerging from the dugout to wait in the on deck circle, hustle down and see what you can snap before the ushers kick you out.  It's worth a shot.

1+ADAM+JONES+WEBSITE.jpg?format=750w

If you go up the baselines behind the dugouts, you might have some success, I was about 20 rows or so back when I took this: 

A01A5450-2.jpg?format=750w

A great spot to go before the games is out in the bullpens, I've gotten some nice shots there before.  Out in the left field seats there's a fence that separates the crowd from the bullpens.  There used to be a small break in the fence behind the home plates, big enough to stick a camera lens in between and take some shots.  

1+Sync.jpg?format=750w

1+Gausman.jpg?format=750w

IMG_3474.jpg?format=750w

1+Caleb+Joseph+A01A7796-3.jpg?format=750

IMG_3471.jpg?format=750w

Those last two of Wieters and Joseph,  I was sticking my camera lens through that hole and looking down into the Orioles pen.  The top two were taken from the concourse behind the bullpens.  Some of the best shots are taken before the games.  Get there early.

As I mentioned before, I think the new nets are going to be hard to work around.  I am going to look at them more closely next time I go.  If I am going to try to take photos at a game this year I'm going to go during a random day game in the middle of the week where it's less crowded and I can hopefully navigate around the nets.

In regards to gear, you'll be fine with that 300mm and I'm always at the lowest (fastest) f stop I can be at.  I've got a 2.8 70-200 Canon that I adore and a 2.8 100-300mm made by Sigma that's a little less crisp but still gets the job done.  You'll be fine at 3.5.  I shoot on AV so I pick the f stop and the ISO, the camera picks the shutter speed.  On a bright sunny day I'll keep that ISO anywhere from 100-200 because I like the contrast and dark shadows, on a cloudy day anywhere from 400+.  Just depends on what the light is and what I'm trying to do.

Not sure what the setting is on a Nikon but I shoot on a continuous burst and AI servo to track things that are moving.

Markakis.jpg?format=750w

IMG_3951.jpg?format=750w

IMG_9701.jpg?format=750w

It's a great time, just always be looking around to see what you can get.  Bribe an usher if you can, it's worth it.  

I will say, I used to be obsessed with getting good action shots.  Don't get so caught up in trying to catch a home run swing that you miss out on a good moment.  I don't think I'd trade any action shot for that portrait of Jones I have up there.

Just a heads up on two things:

The professional cameras are fine, as their policy is only "as long as you don't reproduce the game and it doesn't interfere with other fans."

With the netting, if you are able to get down close enough, there is a "gap" on the home plate sides of the dugout netting. If you are able to get to the right spots, you would have a clear, uninhibited view directly across home plate towards the opposite dugout. Though your best bets to get these shots are either: Pregame (when you can go almost anywhere), during the game by buying seats there, or during the game by slipping those ushers a $50 (or more...those ones are pretty ruthless.)

18 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I remember a long time ago a member posted some nice crisp shots from the Yard and I think it was Mr. Moose.  And if I am wrong I apologize, but if I'm right, his expertise is wanted bigly!

I'm headed down for the Marlins games this weekend and would like to bring the camera, and have some basic questions like:

Is it a pain in the butt getting in with a DSLR and a few lenses in a backpack?

Do ushers get mad about wannabe photogs running around the stands for shots?

And some photographer-centric questions:

Where do you shoot for nice batter/pitcher shots?

With what gear?

What settings did you use?

I have a Nikon D750 and a 28-300/3.5-5.6, my longest lens because I never do this stuff, and if that's not long enough to shoot from box seats then I'm not going to bother.  But want to hear some opinions.  Thanks to anyone that can advise!

And also if anyone has personal shots from the Yard they are highly encouraged to post!

I shot all of these with the lowest of the low Nikon cameras (Coolpix) and its built in zoom. You should be fine. Most of these were shot from the upper deck and way out in centerfield, left field seats etc. I didn’t move out of my seat or go in the aisle for anything. Should be totally easy to get good shots with what you have. Btw, that A’s pitcher was their first baseman in a blowout in ‘15. 

https://flickr.com/photos/88659550@N00/sets/72157657372204076

https://flickr.com/photos/88659550@N00/sets/72157655128947043

Archived