Is it time to promote Mullins and move Jones to RF?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I understand your question. But is one month in RF really going to provide clarity?

Chris Davis played 30 games in RF in his walk year, many of them in the second half of the season. Not sure what the O’s were trying to prove then, but that’s what happened. 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

With Cedric Mullins playing very well as a 23-year old at AAA (.821 OPS, with a .874 OPS at AA beforehand) would you look to bring him up now and move Jones to RF, showcasing Jones' corner outfield abilities for contenders?  This was suggested to me yesterday.  Thoughts?

Yes. There is no reason to keep Mullins from coming up. As for AJ I think he is a team player. He may not like RF but I believe he'd move there. 

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes. There is no reason to keep Mullins from coming up. As for AJ I think he is a team player. He may not like RF but I believe he'd move there. 

Not so sure about that.  Jones seems to think all the stats that show he's a terrible CF are bogus, and has been reluctant to change his defensive approach in the past.  Remember when he complained that the corner OF need to improve their defense?  I think he thinks he's still a gold glove CF.

Just now, section18 said:

Yes ! Mullins should already be here.  They must be working on a trade for AJ and don't want any negative vibes with a move to RF or LF. He was a SS and probably would adjust better to the angles in LF.

They don't want to move him to the CO and show other teams he can't play there either.

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why waste the service time?

When the Orioles trade Manny and they need something to bring people to the park in the last month of the season...then maybe.

That would not be my concern if they are planning on him starting next year. 

I think the sooner they deal the vets the sooner the kids are here. They don’t want them in this environment.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

We should but won't happen as long as Buck is manager. I would say bring up both Stewart and Mullins.  Lets see what they can do.   Really I wouldn't mind seeing an outfield of Mullins, Stewart and Rickard.  Couldn't be any worse than the outfield we have been putting out there. 

When asked why Rickard came up instead of Mullins, Buck indicated that Duquette and Graham make decisions like that, with perhaps some input from the Norfolk manager.   [From today's Baltimore Sun].

So, according to Buck, he has no input whatsoever on who is brought up from Norfolk.

2 hours ago, Otter said:

Not so sure about that.  Jones seems to think all the stats that show he's a terrible CF are bogus, and has been reluctant to change his defensive approach in the past.  Remember when he complained that the corner OF need to improve their defense?  I think he thinks he's still a gold glove CF.

I don't think his approach is the problem.   I think at this point he just lacks the ability to be a good CF, sadly.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

When asked why Rickard came up instead of Mullins, Buck indicated that Duquette and Graham make decisions like that, with perhaps some input from the Norfolk manager.   [From today's Baltimore Sun].

So, according to Buck, he has no input whatsoever on who is brought up from Norfolk.

And yet we have been told he has control of the 25 man roster.

Archived