Is it time to promote Mullins and move Jones to RF?

Greg Pappas

Perhaps once the deadline passes they go to Jones if he is still here about moving over to a corner spot. RF is not a true spot for Mullins anyway since his arm isn’t much. They also at this point are committed to playing Valencia some and RF is where that would be. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Chris Davis played 30 games in RF in his walk year, many of them in the second half of the season. Not sure what the O’s were trying to prove then, but that’s what happened. 

They were trying to make a poorly-constructed roster work. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Buck controls the 25 man roster but has no say in what player pool of talent that comes from? Makes sense.  

Come on people keep up....

Buck controls the 25 man roster.  DD controls the 40 man roster on Mondays and Thursdays.  Buck has a window on Tuesdays to offer input, and Brady has the reins on Wednesday and Friday.  Of course, Peter doesn't allow moves without his approval unless all three of the decision makers agree and Sundays are a day of rest unless moves cannot be avoided.

Making changes outside of this...like trades and free agent signups are not as clear cut as the above.  There is an organizational chart on how this works, but it doesn't translate to the english language so it can not be posted in a format for this site.

21 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Come on people keep up....

Buck controls the 25 man roster.  DD controls the 40 man roster on Mondays and Thursdays.  Buck has a window on Tuesdays to offer input, and Brady has the reins on Wednesday and Friday.  Of course, Peter doesn't allow moves without his approval unless all three of the decision makers agree and Sundays are a day of rest unless moves cannot be avoided.

Making changes outside of this...like trades and free agent signups are not as clear cut as the above.  There is an organizational chart on how this works, but it doesn't translate to the english language so it can not be posted in a format for this site.

What about leap year?

12 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Chris Davis played 30 games in RF in his walk year, many of them in the second half of the season. Not sure what the O’s were trying to prove then, but that’s what happened. 

7 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

They were trying to make a poorly-constructed roster work. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. For some reason, I also seem to recall Boras or whomever his agent also talking up how Davis could be marketed as an outfielder in his upcoming free agency. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mullins isn’t even on the 40-man.  

Besides the Rasmus opening, they could easily remove Chris Lee, Andrew Susac and Engelb Vielma from the 40 man.  The 40 man should not be a factor in the  decision to bring up anyone.   

1 hour ago, POR said:

Besides the Rasmus opening, they could easily remove Chris Lee, Andrew Susac and Engelb Vielma from the 40 man.  The 40 man should not be a factor in the  decision to bring up anyone.   

I agree.   I was just responding to CoC’s post that Buck supposedly controls the 25-man roster.   Whether that’s 100% true or not (and I’m not sure it is), the situation is more complicated when a team is considering promoting a player who isn’t on the 40-man roster and obviously the GM has to be heavily involved in that decision.   

17 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Jones needs to be moved to another team

Jones is a tricky situation because he's really the face of the franchise. The Pirates were in the same boat with McCutchen. I tend to agree with you, but I really think they should involve Adam, get a sense of where he wants to go, and do their best to accommodate him. It's the least we can do for someone who has given so much to the franchise and the community. 

Archived