Chris Davis’ defense

Frobby

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Putting aside yesterday’s terrible play, to me Chris Davis has played a pretty poor 1B this year.    B.B.-ref has him at -7 Rtot, -4 Rdrs.   Fangraphs has him at -1.3 UZR.    From what I’ve seen, he’s still very good on starting double plays and executing other throws, but not as good at scooping bounced throws or fielding hard hit balls in his vicinity.   To me, it’s just another sign that his reflexes and reaction time have slipped.

Thoughts?

Definitely spot on and said the same to a friend a few weeks ago. Something is clear wrong with Davis or has changed with him.

Well you have Manny playing a poor SS instead of elite at 3rd, Beckham not playing his natural position off SS.  Beckham was about average at SS, as his mistake tendency was made up by his range.  Davis, as noted has declined.  You have a Jones who is older and should be moved from CF to a corner spot.  Than you have Mancini playing LF instead of his natural position (1B because of Davis), and you have freaking Trumbo lumbering and bumbling around RF..... sigh.

Archived