Who’s your 2018 back-up team?

Frobby

With the O’s hopelessly out of it, do you have a back-up team to root for the rest of the way?    Not necessarily a team you’re passionate about, but just a “best of the rest” team?

For me, it’s undoubtedly Nick Markakis’ Atlanta Braves.    I’d love to see Nick back in the postseason and would be thrilled to see him get a WS ring.    And the rest of that team is fun to watch.    

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With the O’s hopelessly out of it, do you have a back-up team to root for the rest of the way?    Not necessarily a team you’re passionate about, but just a “best of the rest” team?

For me, it’s undoubtedly Nick Markakis’ Atlanta Braves.    I’d love to see Nick back in the postseason and would be thrilled to see him get a WS ring.    And the rest of that team is fun to watch.    

I'm with you. I'm hoping they trade for Manny then it will be even more enjoyable watching them.

I've always like the Cubs.  So there's that.  And also Atlanta, especially if they end up acquiring some more O's.  Houston too, or pretty much anyone in the AL other than NY or Boston.

Well, as I've said before, it's the Nats, because lonnng ago I was originally a Senators fan.  Well, they screwed the pooch of a winnable division.  Undoubtedly, the resultant puppies will all resemble Bryce .213 BA Harper.  ?

Of the teams remaining with a real shot at the playoffs, I'll go with the Mariners, who have never reached the World Series.   That would leave only the Brewers, Pirates, and Nats/Expos who've waited longer to get back to the Series than the Orioles.

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, as I've said before, it's the Nats, because lonnng ago I was originally a Senators fan.  Well, they screwed the pooch of a winnable division.  Undoubtedly, the resultant puppies will all resemble Bryce .213 BA Harper.  ?

Of the teams remaining with a real shot at the playoffs, I'll go with the Mariners, who have never reached the World Series.   That would leave only the Brewers, Pirates, and Nats/Expos who've waited longer to get back to the Series than the Orioles.

Yes, this is the 42nd season of baseball in Seattle and they have 0 pennants....I'll go with them.  Then Brewers.  Those are fanbases that deserve pennants.  I live in Atlanta so I always pull for the Braves. 

I don't hate the Braves and Mariners have some appeal. And of course whoever's playing the Yanks or Sox. 

It's amazing how quickly the Nats have lost their luster. Harper just seems like a douche, Daniel Murphy looks like he's aged 10 years, and I've never really liked Strasburg. Rendon and Soto are the only players I kind of like on their roster. Their terrible announcing team and that concrete ballpark don't help either. 

Mariners. They currently have the longest postseason drought in baseball (and maybe the longest in all professional sports?). It'd be nice for their fans to finally get to see them make the playoffs. They've got some likable players, including Nelson Cruz.

Plus they have a very 2012 Orioles type of magic about them. They've been ridiculously good in one-run games and extra-inning games.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry, not for me, I have trouble following and enjoying other teams.

Dont get me wrong, I did want the Nats to do well, when the Orioles was doing well, just for the thrill of the parkway world series. Other than that, I really dont care what the rest of baseball does.

Just now, PaulFolk said:

Mariners. They currently have the longest postseason drought in baseball (and maybe the longest in all professional sports?). It'd be nice for their fans to finally get to see them make the playoffs. They've got some likable players, including Nelson Cruz.

Plus they have a very 2012 Orioles type of feel about them. They've been ridiculously good in one-run games and extra-inning games.

Agree with this. Segura, Gordon, Paxton, Haniger, etc. all seem pretty likable too. Just in case anyone wants to go "all in"...

https://rotowear.com/collections/seattle

42 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

You know, I’ve tried and tried to develop a strong secondary rooting interest in the Nats.   I’ve lived in the DC suburbs almost my entire life, I work in DC, and many of my friends are Nats fans and always want to talk Nats baseball with me.   I follow how they’re doing, I know their players, but I just haven’t gotten to the point where I really care how they do.    If they won, I’d be happy that a lot of people I know are happy.    But I just can’t get enthusiastic about it.

The Braves and Nats are in the same division, and as I said, I find myself rooting for the Braves to win.  But it’s purely a Nick thing.    He was my favorite Orioles player of the last 15 years or so, not because he was the best, but I just liked the way the guy carried himself and conducted his business.    He went through a lot of bad seasons here before getting to play with a winner in 2012-14, and same with his time with the Braves, and I’d just like to see him get the payoff for being a pro’s pro for 13 seasons.   But the minute he leaves the Braves, my interest in them will evaporate.

I was watching the Capitals win the cup.  Then since the World Cup has started have been watching for that.  Rooting for the French team.  Don't care for another baseball team.  Baseball really isn't exciting enough to watch some random team play.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I’ve tried and tried to develop a strong secondary rooting interest in the Nats.   I’ve lived in the DC suburbs almost my entire life, I work in DC, and many of my friends are Nats fans and always want to talk Nats baseball with me.   I follow how they’re doing, I know their players, but I just haven’t gotten to the point where I really care how they do.    If they won, I’d be happy that a lot of people I know are happy.    But I just can’t get enthusiastic about it.

The Braves and Nats are in the same division, and as I said, I find myself rooting for the Braves to win.  But it’s purely a Nick thing.    He was my favorite Orioles player of the last 15 years or so, not because he was the best, but I just liked the way the guy carried himself and conducted his business.    He went through a lot of bad seasons here before getting to play with a winner in 2012-14, and same with his time with the Braves, and I’d just like to see him get the payoff for being a pro’s pro for 13 seasons.   But the minute he leaves the Braves, my interest in them will evaporate.

This is exactly my take on the Nats.  I was in DC area (for 30 years) when the two former iterations of teams were there and never got attached.  Epstein, Ted Williams, Brinkmann, Frank Howard, etc. were interesting but I never fell in love like with the O's.  I am rooting more for the Braves now with all of their studs.  I loved the series we played them this year.  That is the kind of young talent that's fun to watch (also the Phils to a second degree).

Woe are the O's!  Tear it down and rebuild boldly - but my expectations are low as usual.  Ten years ago I never we would have believed we could have "accomplished" as much as we did under Buck, but his time has passed unfortunately.

I'm in OH now for the summer/fall so maybe the young and "rebuilding" Redlegs will "throw me a bone"?

Archived