Schoop coming on

theobird

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

About time he started hitting.   My guess is he won’t have much trade value until the offseason.  

It was all my fault, I rode him hard on my fantasy team, and refuse to bench him, figuring he would snap out of it.

He finally did, when i benched him, he remembered how to hit, hitting 2 bombs in one game. :):):)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

A rational ownership group would agree with this logic, yes.

I think your last sentence is the most relevant one though.

It's what I am expecting.  It is what happened last time and I don't think Angelos has learned any lessons.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's what I am expecting.  It is what happened last time and I don't think Angelos has learned any lessons.

I was a little young / apathetic when the O's did their last grand 'firesale' that netted us like Melvin Mora or whatever.  Were those mostly pending FAs that we traded away then too?

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I was a little young / apathetic when the O's did their last grand 'firesale' that netted us like Melvin Mora or whatever.  Were those mostly pending FAs that we traded away then too?

Sure, but I was mostly talking about the parade of almost done free agents that were there to bolster the team's chances of hitting .500.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

This FO lacks the bandwidth to pull off multiple deals. We will be very lucky to get Manny traded.

Schoop is just another of the O's half dozen DH's, and his trade value will be held down accordingly.

This is just another of your inaccurate statements.  Schoop has been a positive War fielder at 2nd over his career yeah he doesn't have quite the range some do but he can make throws only a handful of others can which makes up for his range.  He has a negative war this year but i think that is more to do with his offense when he was really struggling with the bat he mad some poor throws which happens to many players when they struggle taking that to the field.  He is still a decent fielder and can turn double plays that other 2nd baseman can't because of his arm strength.  Mancini and Trumbo are guys that are DH's or first baseman but Schoop is still at least an average defender at 2nd and could play at third as well as his arm plays there which you can't say about many second baseman.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Only .80 pts off his career OPS.  Most of that is just BA. He was hurt too. 

I think he pouted during the offseason over not getting a mega contract and showed up looking “bigger” than usual. 

What do you do with the guy?  How much longer can he play 2nd base?  I’m thinking no chance at an extension and he just tries to have a big Walk year next season.  

The problem is that his career OPS isn't very good.

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The problem is that his career OPS isn't very good.

I agree. I'm a fan of Schoop. He's fun to watch when he's hot and he was hot a lot last year. But the reality is that he's turning 27 this fall and is probably what he is at this point as a hitter (variable hitter with 91 career walks/poor on base skills) and will decline as a defender. The team is going nowhere, so I would definitely be open to trading him. I don't think that will happen during this season because of his performance, but if he has a good to very good second half Schoop could be very trade-able in the offseason. Another 30 homer season by Schoop in the next two years is pretty meaningless for the Orioles, but could help a playoff caliber team. Regardless of a trade, I don't want anything to do with a long-term contract for Schoop. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to keep him.  And negotiate with him while his value is down like it is this year.  

Should have negotiated with Manny when he had his knee injuries.  

Oh well.

91 walks in over 600 career games. No thanks to a long-term contract. He will have to hit 30 homers a year to earn his money and his defense is likely to rapidly decline to the point where even 30 homers would be very meh. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree. I'm a fan of Schoop. He's fun to watch when he's hot and he was hot a lot last year. But the reality is that he's turning 27 this fall and is probably what he is at this point as a hitter (variable hitter with 91 career walks/poor on base skills) and will decline as a defender. The team is going nowhere, so I would definitely be open to trading him. I don't think that will happen during this season because of his performance, but if he has a good to very good second half Schoop could be very trade-able in the offseason. Another 30 homer season by Schoop in the next two years is pretty meaningless for the Orioles, but could help a playoff caliber team. Regardless of a trade, I don't want anything to do with a long-term contract for Schoop. 

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this. The answer is to hope he gets hot in the second half so we can shop him in the off-season.  If not, hope he gets hot in the first half of 2019 and then shop him before next year's deadline.  As much as I love Schoop, he won't be a crucial part of the next O's winning team, whenever that will be.  An extension would be a huge mistake methinks.

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

91 walks in over 600 career games. No thanks to a long-term contract. He will have to hit 30 homers a year to earn his money and his defense is likely to rapidly decline to the point where even 30 homers would be very meh. 

Yup.  I think he'll be playing third and even first base in the next four years.

Archived