Schoop coming on

theobird

I'd move him this month if I got the right offer, but he'd have to really get hot.  I'd think at this point it might be better to keep him and hope his roll continues through the remainder of the season and you can sell high this winter.  I just don't know that they'll get enough value in the next 3 weeks after the 1st half he had, but we'll see.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was a month ago, hopefully the epic nature of the team's collapse has changed the dynamic.

They can't think this team is in a position to reload right? 

Oh wait, the owner wants to put out the best product every year regardless of long term effects.

Be as hopeful as you like, but I've seen no signs of any change in strategy. I think the only prospect for such a change would come from a big uptick in Zach's performance, and that seems remote. One trade looks to me like the maximum. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

91 walks in over 600 career games. No thanks to a long-term contract. He will have to hit 30 homers a year to earn his money and his defense is likely to rapidly decline to the point where even 30 homers would be very meh. 

That's true, but no player is perfect.  I'm not saying give him a 10 year deal, but I do think a 4 or 5 year deal until he's 31 or 32 is reasonable.  And if he's killing it in the middle of that contract, he'd be good to trade.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's true, but no player is perfect.  I'm not saying give him a 10 year deal, but I do think a 4 or 5 year deal until he's 31 or 32 is reasonable.  And if he's killing it in the middle of that contract, he'd be good to trade.  

I'm concerned that in two or three years, as his range declines further, he won't have a position that he can play. We don't need another DH/1B type.

24 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm concerned that in two or three years, as his range declines further, he won't have a position that he can play. We don't need another DH/1B type.

You might be able to slide Schoop over to 3B.  I would consider moving Schoop as soon as next year if you can find a legit 2B.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You might be able to slide Schoop over to 3B.  I would consider moving Schoop as soon as next year if you can find a legit 2B.  

I think he's going to have very poor range at third, especially in two years. 

Again, I like Schoop. Love the positive vibe he gives when he and Manny a rocking, etc. Homegrown to boot. But I think his sum is slightly above average player now with a skill set and body that is likely to decline rapidly. Of course I would be happy to be wrong. 

26 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think he's going to have very poor range at third, especially in two years. 

Again, I like Schoop. Love the positive vibe he gives when he and Manny a rocking, etc. Homegrown to boot. But I think his sum is slightly above average player now with a skill set and body that is likely to decline rapidly. Of course I would be happy to be wrong. 

I hope Schoop can play 3B.  His bat isn’t good enough to play at 1B/DH unless he hits like he did in 2017.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

When Manny's desire to play SS came up, I asked about the possibility of trying Schoop at 3B and Beckham at 2B. I can't recall the details, but more than one Hangouter whose opinion I respect expressed doubt that Schoop had the physical tools to play 3B.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

When Manny's desire to play SS came up, I asked about the possibility of trying Schoop at 3B and Beckham at 2B. I can't recall the details, but more than one Hangouter whose opinion I respect expressed doubt that Schoop had the physical tools to play 3B.

He already has some playing time there. I’m sure sss but his numbers were horrible if I recall correctly. 

Archived