Mullins and Stewart aren't getting any younger

FanSince88

They've both got 1600 minor league plate appearances.  

They've proven just about everything there is to prove at the minor league level.  

Mullins is 23 and Stewart is 24, plenty mature enough to handle the big show, especially in this day and age when younger players are getting more chances than ever.  

Why aren't they on the major league roster yet?  

Make it happen.  I don't care what kind of roster gymnastics are necessary, they need a place on the major league team to start their development against live MLB pitching.  If we need to go with a 5 or 6 man bullpen to make room for them on the roster, so be it. 

By this point, the 2018 season is unlikely to count much toward their service time, so I don't buy that argument anymore.  They are ready.  Promote them to the bigs now.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why spend extra money on a season like this.  If you start cutting players you have to still pay them.  Then you have to pay those guy's the extra money on top of that as a major league contract.   the service time issue is always a thing to think about for guys like Stewart that may go up and down at some point.  30-50 games may make them super 2 at some point. 

I’m not really very worried about this one way or the other.     Yes, I’d like to see both get their feet wet this year, but whether it’s 30 games or 65 doesn’t really matter to me.     Hopefully we are able to get something for Jones and that opens a spot for Mullins.    The way Mancini’s been hitting, he may find himself back in AAA with Stewart replacing him.   

Mullins isn't up here because Jones is still here.    Once Jones is gone you'll see Mullins come up.   Or he will have to wait til September.

I don't exactly have a great answer as to why Stewart isn't called up over say.......Joey Rickard.

I'm hoping after Manny goes, things start moving exponentially faster towards a real rebuild.  Trades start dropping fast and continue into the offseason.  Spending on scouting and player development is increased or reallocated.  New brass, maybe even a new owner.  If it still appears this pragmatic come August, we are in trouble.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I'm hoping after Manny goes, things start moving exponentially faster towards a real rebuild.  Trades start dropping fast and continue into the offseason.  Spending on scouting and player development is increased or reallocated.  New brass, maybe even a new owner.  If it still appears this pragmatic come August, we are in trouble.

I think you meant to use a different word, pragmatic would be good. 

45 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Mullins isn't up here because Jones is still here.    Once Jones is gone you'll see Mullins come up.   Or he will have to wait til September.

I don't exactly have a great answer as to why Stewart isn't called up over say.......Joey Rickard.

Because Rickard can play CF, Stewart can't. Stewart is a corner outfielder.

Archived