Mullins and Stewart aren't getting any younger

FanSince88

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. You can't group Jones and Trumbo together. Jones provides leadership/veteran presence and his defensive holes can hidden in LF or RF. He also comes off the books after this season. Trumbo, on the other hand, provides no leadership, is apparently a clubhouse sour puss, can't play in the field, and is still under contract for another year.  

I've never heard that. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that whole thing is an unfortunate narrative apparently based on him showing some mile annoyance at getting pied, and possibly being one reason why it was discontinued.  Overblown, to say the least.

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I'd rather see guys like Stewart figured out how to dominate AAA before moving them up and start the yo-yo back and forth. The next thing you usually hear is they aren't ready after they go 10 for 50.

I don’t think Stewart is ever going to “dominate” AAA, nor will he do it in the majors.    But if he puts up a .360ish OBP with some pop, that’s a pretty useful player.   Kevin Miller as a comp, maybe?

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Mullins isn't up here because Jones is still here.    Once Jones is gone you'll see Mullins come up.   Or he will have to wait til September.

I don't exactly have a great answer as to why Stewart isn't called up over say.......Joey Rickard.

Richard is the back up CF late inning defensive replacement and PR. Marconi is the one blocking Stewart. Davis/Trumbo are blocking Mancini.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Stewart is ever going to “dominate” AAA, nor will he do it in the majors.    But if he puts up a .360ish OBP with some pop, that’s a pretty useful player.   Kevin Miller as a comp, maybe?

Kevin Millar was one of the best 800 for quite a while. 

3 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I'd rather see guys like Stewart figured out how to dominate AAA before moving them up and start the yo-yo back and forth. The next thing you usually hear is they aren't ready after they go 10 for 50.

The O's don't have a big history of sending position players back down.  Look at Mancini, one of the worst players in the league and he's still up.  Remember how they kept Schoop up when he was struggling?

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, too many folks here want guys to come up and be Manny Machado: The Sequel. Some players are just good role guys, and every good team has a few of them.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O's have only have four starters with an OBP over .300: Machado, Trumbo, Valencia, Jace Peterson. Two of those players are probably gone by the end of the month. 

If he can put up a .300 OBP he'd be one of the best players on the team.

Two more weeks till the deadline. Valencia might bring a little something back. That’s worth the wait. Once he is traded then you have an one opening. The other opening is pretty easy to create. Rickard or Mancini down. I’d send Mancini down till maybe September and then have him play 1B the rest of the season. 

Archived