Machado to the Dodgers, 5-1 deal

TonySoprano

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Law, "That's a more reasonable return. It is not a bad trade for Baltimore. It's a little bit of an uninspiring trade for Baltimore." He then said later, "The return they got here was appropriate for a rental. It was more a quantity over quality trade. I don't think they got anybody in this deal who's going to be a star. It's probably quite fair for half a season of Machado. But there's nothing here to truly excite you, if your an Orioles fan..." Then shortly after, "They just got bulk."

There was more, some of which you alluded to, but trying to type and listen is hard. LOL! 

That’s fair. He did say those additional comments and I think even started with that. But I felt like their tone was generally critical and not really highlighting the potential in what we got back. To each his own and we’ll see how it all plays out. 

9 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

That’s fair. He did say those additional comments and I think even started with that. But I felt like their tone was generally critical and not really highlighting the potential in what we got back. To each his own and we’ll see how it all plays out. 

Agreed... they were unimpressed, as was Callis.  

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Opinions are like you-know-what, everyone has one.  If you'd listen to "Peanut Reynolds" on MLB last night, the O's should've gotten back someone on the Dodgers' current roster. He thinks that would be something the fans could appreciate more.  This year is a huge write-off, Harold, you build for the future.

Harold Reynolds is a total moron.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Opinions are like you-know-what, everyone has one.  If you'd listen to "Peanut Reynolds" on MLB last night, the O's should've gotten back someone on the Dodgers' current roster. He thinks that would be something the fans could appreciate more.  This year is a huge write-off, Harold, you build for the future.

What will I do without my Logan Forsythe Orioles jersey, all is not well in Birdland.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I don’t think the Dodgers were going to trade Walker Buehler. 

I’d rather appreciate winning 3 years from now.

Here's a video from the Dodgers' GM's perspective.  They had been working on the trade for about a month.  The Orioles wanted to get something done so they weren't up against a deadline day crunch and take whatever was available.  L.A. is in a tough division race.

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/video/zaidi-on-the-machado-trade/c-2284279283?tid=8878826

10 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Excellent radio interview with Andrew Friedman today...in particular, shoots down the media stuff alleging dragging out of the process by the Orioles..states that DD was a straight shooter, professional,   

https://am570lasports.iheart.com/content/2018-07-19-andrew-friedman-our-focus-is-on-winning-a-championship-this-year/

I got really jealous of Dodger fans listening to this.    Great team, great farm system, great front office.   And now they have Manny.     Not Gerardo Parra or Scott Feldman or Tim Beckham.    

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I got really jealous of Dodger fans listening to this.    Great team, great farm system, great front office.   And now they have Manny.     Not Gerardo Parra or Scott Feldman or Tim Beckham.    

They bounced pretty good, after that nasty ownership divorce and custody battle.

I hear the Dodgers have a pretty solid Cable TV deal with Times Warner and that helps allow them to spend money.

For me, I am glad, Manny is on the west coast and especially the NL. I dont really want to see him play in another uniform.

I think Kremer is going to shock a lot of people as others have said. He may not be a TOR, but man is he really breaking out in a big way this year. You can't keep telling me he's destined for the back of a bullpen with his k rate, stuff, and command.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles did superbly to get OF prospect Yusniel Diaz in the Manny Machado deal. Some might say that the outfield is the least of their worries – behind pitching, the infield and a catcher (in that order). But when you have a chance to get a special player, you should go for it. And that is what they did. “A stud,” one scout called Diaz, who homered twice in the Futures Game, which may have cemented this deal …
— GM Dan Duquette did a very good job with the deal, and it’s interesting to see that he led the trade talk …
— Zach Pop, also acquired for Machado, has a 0.33 ERA at his latest stop in the Dodgers minors and throws 96-98 mph with sink …

Heyman

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

When Harold's wrong, he tends to double down on it.  You can't pander to the least knowledgable fans - which is effectively what he suggested we should have done, and I commend the O's for not listening to pundits like Reynolds.