TT: Orioles get Haul for Machado

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I have two options that are fairly equal and one os left-handed, i'm taking the left-handed outfielder. I just don't think the Dodgers wanted to part with Verdugo.

Agreed ...I figure you could get them to come around since he's blocked and closer to the majors. I wonder if we could get him and a lottery ticket for Britton and his salary? Probably not ...But worth asking IMO.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I used to agree.   But I wonder nowadays if lefties lose a bit of value compared to righties because of the extreme shifts in the majors?

Well it depends if that lefty is a extreme pull hitter I guess. Plus, I really think MLB is going to change the rules to outlaw these extreme shifts, which I'm all for.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Hope your right ....

He supposedly has a plus arm, and decent range for RF, and we'll get plenty of chances to see him in Bowie.  I think he's our starting RF for the majority of the 2019 season, and for years after.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well it depends if that lefty is a extreme pull hitter I guess. Plus, I really think MLB is going to change the rules to outlaw these extreme shifts, which I'm all for.

That would be wonderful for the Orioles, namely for Chris Davis.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agreed ...I figure you could get them to come around since he's blocked and closer to the majors. I wonder if we could get him and a lottery ticket for Britton and his salary? Probably not ...But worth asking IMO.

I think if the Dodgers were also interested in Britton, they probably could have put together a solid offer for him as well, but I don't think they are going to get a Verdugo return for Britton. There still are some questions on Britton's command, plus the Red Sox might want Britton badly enough to give up something of decent value.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Out of curiosity, how do you think the rules could be changed to effectively ban shifts?  Most proposals I've seen appear to have loopholes and gray areas.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I think if the Dodgers were also interested in Britton, they probably could have put together a solid offer for him as well, but I don't think they are going to get a Verdugo return for Britton. There still are some questions on Britton's command, plus the Red Sox might want Britton badly enough to give up something of decent value.

I would take Gonsolin and Jackson right now for Britton.  But chances are he is going to be traded elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, he's a fairly athletic guy overall. whether he can track flyballs will be the first issue and how his arm will play is the second. Saying that, if Mancini can play LF in the big leagues, I can't imagine Mountcastle being worse. I would personally start the transition now.

I know this is a bit off topic, but why is Mountcastle rated so highly? With his plate discipline issues it seems unlikely to this humble, largely ignorant (hence why I ask!) observer's eyes, that he will ever hit enough to be anything more than an average-slightly above average OF, so what am I missing? 

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I would take Gonsolin and Jackson right now for Britton.  But chances are he is going to be traded elsewhere.

I think that would be a fair deal ... You would have to eat his salary or partial salary and take Forsythe back. I suspect the Manny-Zack package was where the rumor on him was coming from. I doubt ownership has changed philosophy on this even with Peter stepping back.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I think that would be a fair deal ... You would have to eat his salary or partial salary and take Forsythe back. I suspect the Manny-Zack package was where the rumor on him was coming from. I doubt ownership has changed philosophy on this even with Peter stepping back.

It'll be fine if Britton goes to say Cleveland for something tangible.  We'll just have to wait with bated breath.  :drek:

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

My thoughts on the five players acquired for Manny Machado including their ceilings, most likely, and floors.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/07/18/machado-traded-to-dodgers-for-five-prospects/

Great stuff! Your projections remind me of a certain other group of five: Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Mickolio, Butler. Would you agree with that comparison?

11 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I know this is a bit off topic, but why is Mountcastle rated so highly? With his plate discipline issues it seems unlikely to this humble, largely ignorant (hence why I ask!) observer's eyes, that he will ever hit enough to be anything more than an average-slightly above average OF, so what am I missing? 

His plate discipline has improved this year and although his walk rate is still not great, he's cut his strikeout rate down. When you add in the fact that he hits for average, and he's got impact power potential, his bat is going to play in the major leagues and has a chance to be special. Let's remember, he's slashing .314./364/.515/.879 at just 21 years old in AA. 

When you watch Mountcastle play, the ball has that special sound when he barrels it and you can see him backspin a ball which should carry into more homers as he grows into his man strength.

Mountcastle has the highest ceiling of any bat in the system, the question is, where will he play defensively?

1 minute ago, now said:

Great stuff! Your projections remind me of a certain other group of five: Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Mickolio, Butler. Would you agree with that comparison?

I wouldn’t.      Jones was Seattle’s no. 1 prospect and a top 20 guy.   I believe Tillman was no. 2 and Butler no. 6.    Sherrill was established as a good major league reliever.    That was a much bigger haul — as it should have been.  

Archived