TT: Orioles get Haul for Machado

Tony-OH

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, he's a fairly athletic guy overall. whether he can track flyballs will be the first issue and how his arm will play is the second. Saying that, if Mancini can play LF in the big leagues, I can't imagine Mountcastle being worse. I would personally start the transition now.

Hmm Mancini cannot play Left Field in the majors.  Didn't you see my thread a couple months ago that he wasn't an outfield.  Please don't let Mancini be the bar that someone has to meet.  I would make Nate Mclouth as my minimum requirement. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, now said:

Great stuff! Your projections remind me of a certain other group of five: Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Mickolio, Butler. Would you agree with that comparison?

I think it's potentially better.

Diaz = Jones
Kremer = Tillman
Pop = Sherrill
Bannon > Mickolio
Valera > Butler

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

His plate discipline has improved this year and although his walk rate is still not great, he's cut his strikeout rate down. When you add in the fact that he hits for average, and he's got impact power potential, his bat is going to play in the major leagues and has a chance to be special. Let's remember, he's slashing .314./364/.515/.879 at just 21 years old in AA. 

When you watch Mountcastle play, the ball has that special sound when he barrels it and you can see him backspin a ball which should carry into more homers as he grows into his man strength.

Mountcastle has the highest ceiling of any bat in the system, the question is, where will he play defensively?

Cheers, thanks for this, makes me much more optimistic! I knew there must've been something I was missing as basically everyone in the scouting community seems to rate him highly.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His plate discipline has improved this year and although his walk rate is still not great, he's cut his strikeout rate down. When you add in the fact that he hits for average, and he's got impact power potential, his bat is going to play in the major leagues and has a chance to be special. Let's remember, he's slashing .314./364/.515/.879 at just 21 years old in AA. 

When you watch Mountcastle play, the ball has that special sound when he barrels it and you can see him backspin a ball which should carry into more homers as he grows into his man strength.

Mountcastle has the highest ceiling of any bat in the system, the question is, where will he play defensively?

Move him to 1B, move Mancini to 1B, and whoever plays better stays there.  The other goes to DH.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Tony is Nunez coming up to replace Manny?  If no word yet do you think its the move? Hes had 3 stints in the majors with 60 ABs total, So he needs a shot IMO.

Glad to hear someone else think the same. He has real upside IMO. I want to see him get an extended look.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it's potentially better.

Diaz = Jones
Kremer = Tillman
Pop = Sherrill
Bannon > Mickolio
Valera > Butler

Tillman was certainly a more highly regarded prospect than Kremer is. Would be happy to get the 12.7 rWAR we got from Tillman's first 6+ seasons out of Kremer.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Hmm Mancini cannot play Left Field in the majors.  Didn't you see my thread a couple months ago that he wasn't an outfield.  Please don't let Mancini be the bar that someone has to meet.  I would make Nate Mclouth as my minimum requirement. 

At the end of the day, Mancini is playing left field in the major leagues and regardless of the defensive analytics, doesn't kill the Orioles by playing out there. Is he a good defensive outfielder? Nope. He is a complete butcher who you are scared when the ball gets hit to him? Nope.

Of course the Orioles should hope Mountcastle, who's more athletic than Mancini, can become a better defensive left fielder than him, but the point I was making is if a major league team, one that was challenging for a wild card most of last year was capable of playing Mancini in LF, then I don't see why Mountcastle can't make himself into a passable left fielder.

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Move him to 1B, move Mancini to 1B, and whoever plays better stays there.  The other goes to DH.

Clearly if the Orioles were able to do this this probably makes the most sense, but I'd try Mountcastle in left field first. No one thought Mancini's arm would play in the outfield either and it's a passable left field arm.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Clearly if the Orioles were able to do this this probably makes the most sense, but I'd try Mountcastle in left field first. No one thought Mancini's arm would play in the outfield either and it's a passable left field arm.

Mancini's arm as it turns out is not the problem.  I don't want to see Mountcastle out there if he can't move.

I suspect this will clear up once Trumbo is gone.

31 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Out of curiosity, how do you think the rules could be changed to effectively ban shifts?  Most proposals I've seen appear to have loopholes and gray areas.

I think they will go to something like you must have at least two infielders on one side of the diamond with their feet on the dirt of the infield grass at the time of the pitch. So in other words, if you want to bring in an outfielder and go with two then you can, but no more three infielders on one side of the diamond.

Jim Calis and MLB was trashing this deal, even tried to goat Roch into saying something negative. I am usually negative on the o’s but I thought this was a good trade. Well measured. I would have liked other pieces but they did their due diligence. I like it. I was shocked to hear that analysis honestly.

Curious what they can get for Britton. His return will factor on his every pitch, stressful to watch.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Jim Calis and MLB was trashing this deal, even tried to goat Roch into saying something negative. I am usually negative on the o’s but I thought this was a good trade. Well measured. I would have liked other pieces but they did their due diligence. I like it. I was shocked to hear that analysis honestly.

Curious what they can get for Britton. His return will factor on his every pitch, stressful to watch.

Apparently Jim Calis isn't listening to Dodger fans who think they got fleeced.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At the end of the day, Mancini is playing left field in the major leagues and regardless of the defensive analytics, doesn't kill the Orioles by playing out there. Is he a good defensive outfielder? Nope. He is a complete butcher who you are scared when the ball gets hit to him? Nope.

Of course the Orioles should hope Mountcastle, who's more athletic than Mancini, can become a better defensive left fielder than him, but the point I was making is if a major league team, one that was challenging for a wild card most of last year was capable of playing Mancini in LF, then I don't see why Mountcastle can't make himself into a passable left fielder.

He kills the Orioles out there. He has zero range.  He is not an outfielder.

He reminds me of myself.  When I was in my early 20's playing softball I played center field.  So when I joined my company softball team I thought I was a center fielder  After a game I thought I was a Right Fielder. After that I took my place at first base and stayed there.  I wasn't butchering anything but I wasn't getting to anything in the outfield either that wasn't hit right to me. Mancini is like 45 year old me.  

Archived