Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, weams said:

No, that does not work. It's 16. Not 15. Not 14. And they fired him. The guy who wanted to do the international stuff. 

It is possible that MLB and Mexican League could come to an agreement and more players would eligible.  But the Orioles missed out on Gaston and they had a ton more slot money left.

I am guessing if somehow anyone highly rated appeared they would not get the player either.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is possible that MLB and Mexican League could come to an agreement and more players would eligible.  But the Orioles missed out on Gaston and they had a ton more slot money left.

I am guessing if somehow anyone highly rated appeared they would not get the player either.  

It's possible. And you may be right. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It will be interesting to see how they will be allowed to allocate resources.

Exactly. I'm not claiming this bit of a conspiracy theory is what happened, but there is some logic to it ...

When Duquette made the Braves trade he thought he would be able to use the slot allotment to make a big play for VVM, but the Angelos brothers were only interested in dumping O'Day. Some time after their mission was accomplished, they informed Duquette that they had no intention of spending that much money on an international player.  Seeing that the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming trade - and still pissed about PGA not letting him take the Toronto job without an exorbitant return - Duquette took an "F' them" moment and made the Zoellner trade.

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Exactly. I'm not claiming this bit of a conspiracy theory is what happened, but there is some logic to it ...

When Duquette made the Braves trade he thought he would be able to use the slot allotment to make a big play for VVM, but the Angelos brothers were only interested in dumping O'Day. Some time after their mission was accomplished, they informed Duquette that they had no intention of spending that much money on an international player.  Seeing that the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming trade - and still pissed about PGA not letting him take the Toronto job without an exorbitant return - Duquette took an "F' them" moment and made the Zoellner trade.

Stuff like that happens, but only you know it's going to be your last job in the pertinent field.

41 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I guess the Zoellner trade had zero effect on the ability of the Orioles to sign anyone.  As it was reported that the Victor brothers offer was considerably less than the winning bid.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

I guess the Zoellner trade had zero effect on the ability of the Orioles to sign anyone.  As it was reported that the Victor brothers offer was considerably less than the winning bid.

We all were aware of that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived