Updated Farm System Rankings After Trade

Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm hoping for better than Chen as Kremer appears to have a pretty good ground ball rate unless I'm mistaken.

Here is there profile from early this year 

Chen was just under 40% GB during his time with the Orioles, Kremer was about 40% in 150+ innings in 2017-2018.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

That’s a good start. Add a few more pieces in the fire sale, make some INTL moves, and then add a top spot in 2019 draft. Could set up a farm system that is deeper than we’ve seen in my lifetime. I’m not young. 

How “not young” are you?    The farm system we had from the mid-60’s to the early 70’s was outrageously good, easily the best in baseball.   

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I do like a potential OF of Diaz, Mullins and Hays. 

Maybe by 2020

1. Mullins C.F.

2. Diaz LF

3. Mancini 1B

4. Schoop 3B (Extend)

5. Stewart DH

6. Mountcastle 3B

7. Sisco C

8. Hays RF

9. Bannon 2B

Of course, it's a stretch that all of these guys make it.

Mancini and Sisco are well on their way to proving that they can't hit ML pitching, Stewart would be a pretty weak DH, Mountcastle is not a ML 3B of course I see you have him teaming with Schoop so perhaps you are thinking he fields and then relays to Schoop for the throw to first

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Chen was just under 40% GB during his time with the Orioles, Kremer was about 40% in 150+ innings in 2017-2018.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just want to add that ground ball rate tends to decline as pitchers face more advanced competition.

So in the last two seasons he's pitched 165 innings....that's 495 outs, of those he's struck out 239 or 1.45 per inning. That leaves 256  with a 40% GB rate or 102 ground out would mean that 154 would be by fly out. Right?

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Mancini and Sisco are well on their way to proving that they can't hit ML pitching, Stewart would be a pretty weak DH, Mountcastle is not a ML 3B of course I see you have him teaming with Schoop so perhaps you are thinking he fields and then relays to Schoop for the throw to first

My you give up quickly....Cisco has barely had a cup of coffee here. Mancini performaned very well last year as a rookie. He's suffering from the sophomore jinx if you believe in such a thing. What really has happened is the league has adjusted to him. Now he will have to figure out how to make adjustments. I'm confident he will.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

My you give up quickly....Cisco has barely had a cup of coffee here. Mancini performaned very well last year as a rookie. He's suffering from the sophomore jinx if you believe in such a thing. What really has happened is the league has adjusted to him. Now he will have to figure out how to make adjustments. I'm confident he will.

I'm not, and Sisco misses curve balls even bad ones by a mile. Looks like the classic career that ended when he confronted decent breaking pitches

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So in the last two seasons he's pitched 165 innings....that's 495 outs, of those he's struck out 239 or 1.45 per inning. That leaves 256  with a 40% GB rate or 102 ground out would mean that 154 would be by fly out. Right?

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa876350&position=P#battedball

The breakdown is here.

12 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

That list doesn’t include the 2018 draft.

Pops 65 FB combined with a 55 slider and solid control numbers for a 21 year old get him in the top 20 for me. I imagine McKenna will move up significantly. I believe Lowther should be above Cody and Wells. Fenters FB and Curve give him a great shot at being a nice BP arm. 

Mountcastle/Hall/Diaz/Hays/Harvey/Akin/Rodriguez are a strong top of our farm system to go along with our top pick in 2019, and possibly an international signing...

If we land pick 1, the C from Oregon State would complement this group well. His swing gives me the vapors. 

Adley Rutschman appears high on many top prospect lists, along with Witt. The great news is: we have needs at both positions, organizationally. And we'll likely have a shot at one of them, if not a choice between them. 

Of course, the board will likely change between now and then. But I like Rutschman's switch hitting ability, and his power potential. And he could contribute in 2020 if he's good enough. We shall see...

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm not, and Sisco misses curve balls even bad ones by a mile. Looks like the classic career that ended when he confronted decent breaking pitches

Plenty to worry about there, but I do think it’s too soon to give up on Sisco.    As to Mancini, I think it’s mostly psychological.     He’ll hit decently if he gets in the right frame of mind.     But he’s not going to wow anyone with his overall offensive/defensive game.    Kind of a healthier Reimold (not his style of play, just overall level).

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How “not young” are you?    The farm system we had from the mid-60’s to the early 70’s was outrageously good, easily the best in baseball.   

The O's had a top-10 farm system in 2008-2009. That is probably when it was at its best in my lifetime (I am 33). If they make noise in the international market, trade Britton, trade Schoop by the deadline next year, and have a good draft with a top 2 pick and all the slot value that entails, I could see them back in the top 10 in the 2019-20 offseason, depending on whether the top guys have graduated by then.

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

Adley Rutschman appears high on many top prospect lists, along with Witt. The great news is: we have needs at both positions, organizationally. And we'll likely have a shot at one of them, if not a choice between them. 

Of course, the board will likely change between now and then. But I like Rutschman's switch hitting ability, and his power potential. And he could contribute in 2020 if he's good enough. We shall see...

F we get the 1st selection I want Witt Jr and it's  not close.

41 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The O's had a top-10 farm system in 2008-2009. That is probably when it was at its best in my lifetime (I am 33). If they make noise in the international market, trade Britton, trade Schoop by the deadline next year, and have a good draft with a top 2 pick and all the slot value that entails, I could see them back in the top 10 in the 2019-20 offseason, depending on whether the top guys have graduated by then.

If Schoop can't be extended he should be dealt before the deadline. Manny would've fetched more las deadline with 11/2 season of return for the buying club. Nit that I'm happy with the trade. Just saying

Archived