Updated Farm System Rankings After Trade

Roll Tide

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Mancini and Sisco are well on their way to proving that they can't hit ML pitching, Stewart would be a pretty weak DH, Mountcastle is not a ML 3B of course I see you have him teaming with Schoop so perhaps you are thinking he fields and then relays to Schoop for the throw to first

What team are you a scout for? Since you can come to such insightful conclusions from not even a full season in the majors. Why do you even continue to follow the Orioles...obviously you know they have zero talent going forward. And everything I've heard has said Mountcastle has improved his defense at 3B. Again, what are your qualifications to go against actual baseball people? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Altuve is right up there.   

I hadn't watched him a lot. Knew he was a great hitter but not sure why. Just watched some video breakdowns. Yep. All the hallmarks: bat stays on plane with pitch for a long time... Turning on inside pitches... Taking outside pitches to opposite field... Basically working with whatever the pitcher throws you...

Whereas guys like Davis (and say, Mark Reynolds) pretty much rare back and swing real hard, with an upper-cut motion... often regardless of pitch location, selection or count. Build a lineup of guys with limited bat skills... and you get, well, us. 

18 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I totally, TOTALLY agree with you. My personal take: strikeout-heavy power hitters are basically under-skilled (i.e. limited) batsmen. They happen to be really powerful. But they can't control that power well enough at the highest levels. 

The analogy would be a power pitcher without location. Sure, he's going to blow away less skilled batsmen. But the best hitters will simply let the pitcher get behind in the count, wait for him to groove a fastball... then hit it like BP. Or they just time the fastball and swing real hard. 

I believe in something called "bat skill." Robbie Alomar was probably the most skilled hitter I've seen in recent decades. He could lay down a bunt... go opposite field to drive in a run... He could hit a fly ball when needed, again to advance a runner. 

Chris Davis can't do any of those things, yet so many people have claimed that strikeouts don't matter. I believe they do, when they're super high, because it implies poor bat skill. 

And BORING. This team has difficulty first to third on a base hit. I'd rather watch a team lose doing something different than waiting for the HR.

Just now, UpstateNYfan said:

And BORING. This team has difficulty first to third on a base hit. I'd rather watch a team lose doing something different than waiting for the HR.

True. You're missing out on whole swaths of baseball action and strategy: stolen bases, hit-and-run, sac bunts, sac flies, et al.

I do understand the importance of OBP and OPS, but I think -- as with anything -- you can take it too far.

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

True. You're missing out on whole swaths of baseball action and strategy: stolen bases, hit-and-run, sac bunts, sac flies, et al.

I do understand the importance of OBP and OPS, but I think -- as with anything -- you can take it too far.

I dunno if you can ever take OBP to far. If you are able to some how get an entire line up with .350 and higher OBP players you are GOING to score a TON of runs. 

On 7/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, El Gordo said:

You thought wrong. Go back and read the OP. Nothing to do with 2021 team.

I wasn't talking about the question from the OP, I was talking about responding to a question that was asked multiple times in the thread ... like these below ... I guess I assumed the 2021-ish time frame given that the lineup that was posted prior to 25 Nuggets' post included several current minor leaguers who are not ready yet ... thanks for being so kind about it though. I always appreciate being told "you thought wrong" and "go back and ready the OP" when I am just trying to join in a conversation.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:05 PM, 25 Nuggets said:

There's two 3B there - Schoop staying at 2B?  Who's playing SS?

On 7/18/2018 at 11:07 PM, El Gordo said:

Who's your SS? We need to get one in the Britton trade. I like Nova from HUS.

Archived