I think we just saw the passing of the torch

Moose Milligan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is his last year under contract.  Just don't offer him another contract.

I think they induct him into the Orioles Hall of Fame. And then invite him back for the parade next year. 

8 hours ago, orioles119 said:

I would be on board with bringing in another voice - perhaps Mike Matheny after the dark cloud of the Cardinals shenanigans is gone.

Nope. He let Bud Norris run his clubhouse. Bad instincts. 

36 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This is the most sensible route for the Sell Everything Now crowd.  

I have been an original member of that group. Just not when the team is above .500. I like winning better. When possible. 

7 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I agree plus Schoop has had a poor year.  If it is me i let him and Gausman play the year out and in the off season go them with an extension for 3 additional years and if they dont want to be locked up.  Move them during the winter.  I think we got a nice haul for Manny but most them are 2 years away from really helping the major league team and those two will be free agents  by then.

I don't see Schoop as a 2B long term and I don't know where else he can play.

Extending Gausman now doesn't make a lot of sense while the team is in transition. Who knows when we'll be good again? I would be OK with trading him if the return is good. Also OK with holding onto him and see if he increases his trade value with a good year. I am hopeful our pitchers could benefit with improved defense once we get rid of the dead weight.

9 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

What do they do with Buck Showalter. I don't see him as a fit for an organization that is going to commit to analytics. Buck is a hunch manager

Buck not into analytics?  Don’t let the Southern accent fool you. He was one of the first managers to do the shift. Time to the plate for pitchers has always been big. He was ahead of the curve on using the bullpen early as well.  Plus only having an A “squad” set of relievers that you only use in high situations. 

He makes fun of wOBA, but don’t you have to know about something to make fun of it?

2 hours ago, weams said:

I have been an original member of that group. Just not when the team is above .500. I like winning better. When possible. 

It's the road back to .500 that I think ought to be the discussion right now - and competing the following year, not arbitrarily setting 3-5 years as the timeframe (I know you are not saying that, but others are).  Blowing up and rebuilding is binary BY DEFINITION.  It's also a self-fullfilling prophecy.  

Building and sustaining a successful major league baseball team is a highly dynamic process.  Buy into the notion of "windows" of competitiveness also means stockpiling dynamite for the inevetable blow up.  Predictable, wasteful, unecessary and, worst of all, lazy IMO.  Better to use the dynamite to blow the hell out of conventional wisdom.

I expect a genuinely dreadful 2019 for us fans.  But .500 by 2020 and competitive by 2021is doable if the Orioles set that as their goal.  It's a completely different thought process and requires more work than a 3-5 year rebuild, but I'm like you and I much prefer winning when possible and the sooner we get back to that the better, I think.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Moose Milligan said:

With these past two weeks, I think we have witnessed the passing of the torch from Peter Angelos to John.  Bringing Brooks in as a goodwill ambassador and advisor, the Machado trade (and hopefully trades to come) the announcement that this FO is going in a more analytics based approach with a focus on the international market...these are all very positive things and things that I don't think would happen under Peter.  

Now of course the Orioles have to act on it, they actually need to walk the talk here.  I think John isn't going to mess around and let things slip.  That is my hope, anyway.  

There's reason for optimism in Birdland, the past 24 hours have shown it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the Orioles do on these fronts and how the plan unfolds.  

As you said, and as it has been speculated, it does indeed appear that John Angelos has transitioned into the leader of his father's ownership group.   Naturally, we're not privy to what has transpired behind closed doors, but recent events point to John calling the shots.  He was attributed with the 'Kids Cheer Free' campaign, brought former Orioles greats Brooks Robinson and Eddie Murray back into the organization, and engaged the team's leader -Adam Jones- in a dinner that Jones would later characterized as, "...testing each other's temperature about the organization and the community."   As well, I found it telling that the normally reserved Dan Duquette recently (and unprompted) foreshadowed what most would agree are necessary and welcome changes to the workings of the organization.  Among a multitude of things, he spoke of adding more scouts and spending in the International market, implementing new technologies and incorporating a greater emphasis on analytics.  He seemed energized.  I suspect that occurred after speaking with John Angelos.

I know some would like to see Duquette brought back to enact his vision, but I hope we wipe the slate clean, getting a new "GM" with strong ideas to rebuild this franchise, and one given the opportunity to thrive, unencumbered.  Have him bring in his own people; a fresh new start from ownership on down.  But regardless of how that plays out, change will not be evident overnight.  It'll require patience... allowing the building of the foundation that has already begun to be laid.  

Anyway, Moose, a promising new era appears to be taking shape... one long overdue.  Here's to us all being around to see it come to fruition. 

My question for everyone on this topic is do you want John or Lou Angelos to make a public statement that they have control of the team? Or would you rather them not say anything and let their actions do the talking?

12 minutes ago, Peace21 said:

My question for everyone on this topic is do you want John or Lou Angelos to make a public statement that they have control of the team? Or would you rather them not say anything and let their actions do the talking?

Yes, I'd like to hear that they have control, just so that I can stop using words like appears and seems. ?  However, if there is a reason they cannot, that's fine by me.  Seeing the events that have transpired recently sure point to this transition, and I'm "So far, so good," on their actions.

9 minutes ago, Peace21 said:

PRESS RELEASE: CAMDEN YARDS, BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, USA: John and Lou Angelos want the Orioles faithful to know what their father is almost dead enough now that they now have kinda sorta have full control of the team. Thank you, and now back to your regularly scheduled programming of Chris Davis striking out while looking down the third base line.

Archived