Schoop: Extend or Trade

Dipper9

What should we do with Schoop?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Schoop?

• Extend him.
    • Trade him.
    • Wait until next year's deadline when his value may be higher.

Schoop played 3B when he was originally called up.  He was terrible there.  His arm was fine but he didn't react quickly enough to hard hit balls, resulting in a bunch of errors.  Quick reaction time and arm strength are the two most important tools needed to play 3B.   I can't imagine that his reaction time has improved over the years.  

I would not re-sign him if the consensus is that he's no longer an adequate 2B.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not interested in a slow footed poor range 2B. Need to find fast, rangey middle infielders, who provide a base stealing threat and decent OBP on offense

I'd move him today to 3B to see if he can play a passable 3B and see if he can find his power, but Schoop is a very flawed player (mediocre defense, below average runner, poor OBP). By this offseason at the latest we should be trading him for whatever we can get (won't be much).

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm not interested in a slow footed poor range 2B. Need to find fast, rangey middle infielders, who provide a base stealing threat and decent OBP on offense

I'd move him today to 3B to see if he can play a passable 3B and see if he can find his power, but Schoop is a very flawed player (mediocre defense, below average runner, poor OBP). By this offseason at the latest we should be trading him for whatever we can get (won't be much).

Hes not that bad of a fielder especially factoring in his offense.  And hed be more than fine at 3B.  Im surprised he hasn't been there yet, probably because our infield depth has been garbage for awhile. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn’t be 2-3 weeks, because Schoop spent 27 days in the majors in Sept. 2013.    He’d have to be down about 6 weeks.    Not happening.   

Why not keep him down 6 weeks?  It would give you another year of control. I guess it would make him angry but he isn't producing now and you can say maybe next year you will make fanfest.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why not keep him down 6 weeks?  It would give you another year of control. I guess it would make him angry but he isn't producing now and you can say maybe next year you will make fanfest.  

I think it would be seen throughout Baseball as a chicken poop move. He’s hitting .368 in July (.941 OPS), so the timing would be terrible.  

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Last year Schoop had better offensive stats than Machado and only 1 less HR. What happened?

An oblique injury. Oblique Injuries in Professional Baseball

They hurt, last a long time and frequently come back.  In fact it's amazing he came back as soon as he did.

In my opinion this has everything to do with his down year and with proper rest in the off season I would expect a return to the skills he flashed last year.

8 minutes ago, Greg said:

“It’s a good question. I hope I stay here. This team gave me a chance. This team, the Orioles, signed me,” he said. “If they want to talk, of course I’m going to sit down and talk with them. And we’re gonna see. I hope I can stay here. I hope I can be on this team and I hope this team can trust me enough and build around me and win a championship. When I was little, I won the Little League World Series. I’m a winner. I think I’m a winner. So, you never know.

“But it’s never too late. Even for Manny, it’s never too late. They could re-sign him (this winter). So, I’m willing to sit down with them.”

“Yeah, of course, why not (build around) me?” Schoop said. “I know I can do it. I’ve proved it, too. I can do it. And I still have a lot more room to improve.”

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Schoop played 3B when he was originally called up.  He was terrible there.  His arm was fine but he didn't react quickly enough to hard hit balls, resulting in a bunch of errors.  Quick reaction time and arm strength are the two most important tools needed to play 3B.   I can't imagine that his reaction time has improved over the years.  

I would not re-sign him if the consensus is that he's no longer an adequate 2B.  

He's started all of 14 games at 3B - nowhere near enough to make a determination if he can play there.  He's not Manny Machado.  Neither is anyone else.  

Archived