Buck - "I don't know if I'd use that word [rebuilding]"

TonySoprano

In the pre-game, Melewski asked about "rebuilding."  Someone suggested "readjusting" instead and Buck replied, "I don't think the fans will buy that."

Dan told 105.7 yesterday it would go "into 2019 and may also continue in 2020.”  ( https://1057thefan.radio.com/articles/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-joins-big-bad-morning-show )

Showalter was asked about Dan Duquette’s comments about the club beginning to rebuild.

“We’re excited about the direction we’ll be going now,” Showalter said. “I’ve done this a few times. If you embrace it and we’ll be consistent to the message and what we’ll try to do. (Want to) put something together here that everyone can be proud of. In our situation, we wish the industry allowed you to keep guys like Manny. But we were able to acquire a lot of good players as opposed to a comp pick and that is exciting.”

Melewski - http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/showalter-pregame-britton-on-trade-talks-more-manny-clubhouse-react.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

In the pre-game, Melewski asked about "rebuilding."  Someone suggested "readjusting" instead and Buck replied, "I don't think the fans will buy that."

Dan told 105.7 yesterday it would go "into 2019 and may also continue in 2020.”  ( https://1057thefan.radio.com/articles/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-joins-big-bad-morning-show )

It doesn't appear Dan and Buck are on the same page.

You had to know Buck wasn't all aboard with that. I mean, the guy has been around the block a while and isn't getting any younger.

Gotta imagine we get a new manager who is aboard for the rebuild. This is going to be a process.

“He did a great job for us over the years, but given that we’re in the rebuilding mode, we’re going to give the opportunity for those innings to some younger pitchers that maybe are going to help us build a more competitive team again.”

That's what Dan was quoted as saying yesterday.  (http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-dfa-chris-tillman-nunez-in-tonights-lineup.html )

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I truly hope that he was just criticizing the semantics of the word choice because with the way this team is playing, it doesn't look like the fans are buying anything, especially tickets.

If Buck isn't on board with the rebuild than it's time for him to pack up his desk. He needs to understand, reality dictates a rebuild. It's entirely possible he is just portraying to the media that he isn't giving his guys and excuse to lay down and they still want to win, but if even a part of him is going through his cellphone contact list, scrolling past Cody Rasmus, looking for more aged veterans with a busted wheel, he is going to need to be shown the door. 

5 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

You had to know Buck wasn't all aboard with that. I mean, the guy has been around the block a while and isn't getting any younger.

Gotta imagine we get a new manager who is aboard for the rebuild. This is going to be a process.

Did you read the article?   Nothing at all in there to suggest Buck isn’t on board.   Quite the contrary.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Dan and Buck when the year ends.   They’re both talking as if they’re going to be here.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did you read the article?   Nothing at all in there to suggest Buck isn’t on board.   Quite the contrary.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Dan and Buck when the year ends.   They’re both talking as if they’re going to be here.

Just don't call it a "rebuild" ?

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I did not, admittedly, at work and saw the quote and that blurb. Sure made it sounds like he wasn't down to be a bottom team and watch young players growing pains for the next few years but if he is, great.

12 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Buck is a problem and has to go. I'm sick of his BS, his tired cliches and excuses. 

Yes can we please get Phil Reagan and Dave Trembly back.  

People love to criticize Buck and he has his flaws but every year we were predicting a middle of the pack team and a .500 or slightly above team by the experts.  We also would have a better record the our expected win total .  The manager is a big part of that and Buck’s team for most of his stay here proved the experts and analytics wrong.

2 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Buck has done a good job for us overall but he's worn out his welcome big time

I wouldn’t say “worn out his welcome,” exactly, but I think maybe the players here have gotten a little too used to his message.    Sometimes that happens.    On the other hand, if this team is going to turn over pretty quickly, maybe that doesn’t matter.

Archived