John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Has anything changed to make us think he would accept a trade now? Last I read he said he wasn't leaving until after he throws his tailgate party.

It’s doubtful he would accept a trade, but I suppose being away from your family for one month is less painful than being away for two months, and there might be an opportunity that’s better than the one in Philly.    

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s doubtful he would accept a trade, but I suppose being away from your family for one month is less painful than being away for two months, and there might be an opportunity that’s better than the one in Philly.    

and now that relative of his has passed away, maybe he is in better mental shape to leave him for a spell.

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Has anything changed to make us think he would accept a trade now? Last I read he said he wasn't leaving until after he throws his tailgate party.

Not a surprise that Jones clears waivers.  I still think he might agree to a trade to a certain division winner like the Indians.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Cleveland is 13 games ahead in their division. 

So...it's not about the division. It's about the postseason. Is Jones an upgrade over Guyer, Cabrera, R.Davis, Greg Allen? I'd think so. Brantley is really the only starting level OF they have (healthy). Naquin and Chisenhall are out awhile and it's hard to know if they come back (and are the same in the postseason). Encarnacion is also dealing with a bicep issue.

27 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Being a 4th OF in Philadelphia isn't a good option for a player still trying to get a contract next year either.

Would that 2 months in Philly (assuming October) really hurt him that much relative to playing 41 more games in the abyss here?  I guess that is impossible to quantify.  But, you have a chance to compete for a title.....and if you hit well, especially in October, the manager will find a way to get you in the lineup even without a DH option (it isn't like Philly's current outfield is that good now). 

Money pays the bills, I know.  But as a player how many more chances will you have at this point to go for a ring? 

Adam seems to have two benefits to finishing the season here, as far as his next contract is concerned.  1.) Capability to play RF  2.) Ability to serve as a mentor.  I bet it caught other teams' attention how professional he was in the transition to Mullins playing CF.  If the Orioles don't offer him a deal this off-season of sufficient number of years, other teams would surely appreciate the professionalism and mentoring, and it could net him the contract he desires.

Jonesy should go to PHI or CLE and try to win a ring! I'm imaging in that DD is checking in with him again now that he's cleared waivers. 

If DD is the GM, I don't believe the O's will offer Jones a contract for next year. 

Maybe if Jones is sitting around in March, we offer him a 1-year, 3 million dollar deal a la Chris Tillman. Is Tillman dominating in TX yet? 

Archived