Orioles "No one is untouchable in rebuild"

Roll Tide

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gausman isn't that young, isn't that controllable (2 years left), and Bundy, while a bit younger (though a few months from turning 26), is a guy with a history of injuries, with decreased velocity that is only going to decrease further. I would trade them both for a good package without hesitation. Gausman, if we could extend him and do something to actually develop him, I wouldn't mind keeping around--as he's much more likely to age well than Bundy--but we should be opening up talks right away if that's the case. 

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Gausman isn't that young, isn't that controllable (2 years left), and Bundy, while a bit younger (though a few months from turning 26), is a guy with a history of injuries, with decreased velocity that is only going to decrease further. I would trade them both for a good package without hesitation. Gausman, if we could extend him and do something to actually develop him, I wouldn't mind keeping around--as he's much more likely to age well than Bundy--but we should be opening up talks right away if that's the case. 

That's why I said around next July with Gausman, as his walk year is 2020.  Bundy's is 2021, so I doubt he'll go anywhere before July 2020, if then.  A lot can happen between now and 2020/2021.  They might be competitive again, and need pitchers like Gausman and Bundy in the rotation.  Short sighted to trade them away now or this offseason, IMO, unless some team REALLY knocks their socks off with a stupid offer.

37 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I think you'll find 2 years and 2 months of Guasman would be pretty valuable to teams like the Rockies, Cubs, Brewers etc.

1 hour ago, nadecir said:

We started with 3 Rule V picks on our opening day roster, last season why not start with even more Rule V picks in 2019?

I would rather see a team of Rule V picks on the field in 2019 than a bunch of older, replacement level veterans  who have no chance of helping in the future when the Orioles can reasonably compete.  We are going to be bad next season.  At least take a look at inexpensive, younger players from other organizations without rushing our own prospects.

I am continually stunned at the way our FO has created this great myth that we will be substantially helped by the Rule V draft.

Our participation in that draft means that we don't have enough quality on our own 40 man roster (especially regarding depth of prospects).

I hope someday soon we will be protecting 40 guys and won't be scouring the available players to add to our talent base.

I like what Schoop is doing - I think he has a little "maybe I can get out of here now" pep in his step.  I haven't given up on April 2020, and see Gausman and Givens trades this month as helpful towards building that core, even though those guys would remain under their new team's control then.  Schoop on the other hand could be an interesting FA target in 18 months.

Just now, OrioleDog said:

I like what Schoop is doing - I think he has a little "maybe I can get out of here now" pep in his step.  I haven't given up on April 2020, and see Gausman and Givens trades this month as helpful towards building that core, even though those guys would remain under their new team's control then.  Schoop on the other hand could be an interesting FA target in 18 months.

I think he has a little "hey my oblique isn't hurting anymore" pep in his step.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he has a little "hey my oblique isn't hurting anymore" pep in his step.

Perhaps that too.  An unfortunate hallmark of the Oriole grind and overall lack of depth has been the front-liners gutting it out.  I'm pretty sure if Carlos Correa was an Oriole he'd have had like 1 day off in the past month for whatever his back thing is.

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You have to think, if they are giving DD license to trade off controllable assets, that must mean that he is staying.

Not necessarily. He is going to try to build his resume up as much as possible. If he is staying then no reason to not have extended him yet. Maybe he will "earn" an extension by making what appears to be very good trades.

Archived