Bundy is Broken

weams

The majority on talk radio today said his ankle injury caused him to alter his delivery and we are seeing the results. Someone (Buck?) said today he is throwing more like a merry go round delivery instead of an over the top delivery.  He finishes his pitches going to his left instead of straight ahead or squared up. It's usually about the delivery if not a shoulder or elbow problem.  Why is Bundy not adjusting to these issues and saying there is nothing wrong with his delivery? Is he not coachable? I remember when he first signed and joined the organization there were questions about his workout program. Something he and his father I believe put together. There were questions about it at the time.  We know what followed his first few years. I can't imagine he doesn't still talk to his father about each performance and they both look at film from each game. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, section18 said:

The majority on talk radio today said his ankle injury caused him to alter his delivery and we are seeing the results. Someone (Buck?) said today he is throwing more like a merry go round delivery instead of an over the top delivery.  He finishes his pitches going to his left instead of straight ahead or squared up. It's usually about the delivery if not a shoulder or elbow problem.  Why is Bundy not adjusting to these issues and saying there is nothing wrong with his delivery? Is he not coachable? I remember when he first signed and joined the organization there were questions about his workout program. Something he and his father I believe put together. There were questions about it at the time.  We know what followed his first few years. I can't imagine he doesn't still talk to his father about each performance and they both look at film from each game. 

Calcium in the shoulder? Pain when he goes higher in his extension? 

8 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I obviously don't know nothing, but It seems like you could look at any number of pitchers and wonder why they are flying open, and their pitches are coming in flat, and don't have any super special English on them. That is what the vast majority of pitchers do. If it was a simple fix to correct the flaw, top free agent pitchers wouldn't cost as much as they do. Sadly, Bundy might just might be "broken".  

I assume most changes occur as compensation for pain. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I assume most changes occur as compensation for pain. 

I suspect you may be right.

Has Bundy always had the arm stab at the back of his delivery? I had not noticed that until this year, but maybe I just didn't care since he was pitching well. Now, everything is scrutinized more so.

Also, is Bundy the closer Buck was talking of? Maybe he cannot handle the starter load and his stuff can be nasty in shorter stints. Just a thought, what say you?

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I assumed he was talking about Mike Wright at the time.   

So did I. But, looking at what Bundy has actually done as an Oriole, his stuff can be electric for a time. He has never shown that he can withstand a starter's load. I hope he changes all of that, but at some point, he is what he is. Just a thought. 

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

So did I. But, looking at what Bundy has actually done as an Oriole, his stuff can be electric for a time. He has never shown that he can withstand a starter's load. I hope he changes all of that, but at some point, he is what he is. Just a thought. 

Even last year when he averaged 6.1 per start (ML average was 5.7) and was slightly above ML average (103 ERA+)?

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Even last year when he averaged 6.1 per start (ML average was 5.7) and was slightly above ML average (103 ERA+)?

He is like the little girl with curls, when he is on, he is on, and when he isn't, he isn't.

He still has 12 QS this season, and 19 out of 34 were QS, last season.

-First 5 starts.  

31.2 IP, 1 HR

1.42 ERA

BA .220, OPS .595  

-Next 3 Starts

9 IP, 9 HR 

19.00 ERA 

BA .460, OPS 1.589 

-Next 8 starts 

55.1 IP, 8 HR

2.60 ERA 

BA .192, OPS .609

last 8 starts 

39.2 IP, 15 HR

ERA 9.08 

BA .343, OPS 1.101

In his 2 good stretches 9 HR’s allowed in 87 IP. 

Two bad stretches 24 HR’s in 48.2 IP. 

-First bad stretch was talk of groin. 

-Second bad stretch off of ankle injury.  

He allowed more HR’s in his second good stretch but also lower BA. He goes from being a number 2, (at worst) at his best to being a AAAA pitcher. Clearly all pitchers have good and bad stretches but this is extreme. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

-First 5 starts.  

31.2 IP, 1 HR

1.42 ERA

BA .220, OPS .595  

-Next 3 Starts

9 IP, 9 HR 

19.00 ERA 

BA .460, OPS 1.589 

-Next 8 starts 

55.1 IP, 8 HR

2.60 ERA 

BA .192, OPS .609

last 8 starts 

39.2 IP, 15 HR

ERA 9.08 

BA .343, OPS 1.101

In his 2 good stretches 9 HR’s allowed in 87 IP. 

Two bad stretches 24 HR’s in 48.2 IP. 

-First bad stretch was talk of groin. 

-Second bad stretch off of ankle injury.  

He allowed more HR’s in his second good stretch but also lower BA. He goes from being a number 2, (at worst) at his best to being a AAAA pitcher. Clearly all pitchers have good and bad stretches but this is extreme. 

He's never been a number 2

20 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think this has to be all about health, not wearing down. I thought in 16 he wore down at the end. Which made sense. 

I have to believe his lower half issues are impacting his mechanics.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I think this has to be all about health, not wearing down. I thought in 16 he wore down at the end. Which made sense. 

I have to believe his lower half issues are impacting his mechanics.  

Its more than that, Coaches and MASN guys see the trouble and that he is throwing different, and yet, he claims, he reviews the tapes and doesnt see anything he is doing different.

Archived