A big middle finger to the Sox

Moose Milligan

51 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Cora, you have almost a .700 winning percentage ........ and you're complaining? 

o

I believe that when a team is winning, THAT is the best time to complain about an injustice. I like it when a team wins a game(s), and complains about the bad umpiring of said game afterward ........ the fact that the team won the game does not mitigate incompetent officiating, if the game(s) was indeed badly officiated.

When teams complain after they lose, it is often attributed to sour grape/sore losing ........ complaining after a win (and/or when your team is doing well) cannot be so easily dismissed as such.

o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Really ??? If the Orioles were in the heat of a pennant race and were up by a score of 5-0, then the game was called against the worst team in baseball, a game that was destined to get rained out, youd be pissed too. On top of that, the Yankees had already lost. 

o

I have a big problem with the rule of expunging the results, and have stated so on numerous occasions.

If the home team decides that it wants to start a game in spite of inclement whether looming on the horizon, fine ........ but they should subsequently have to live with the results of that decision, which means that the game should be resumed at a later date, picking up right where it left off (which in the case of last night, would be with the Red Sox up by a score of 5-0 in the 2nd inning.)

o

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, alright, alright.  I freely admit that my reaction to the Sox and Cora might not have been right and based on emotion.   Especially after Firestone schooled me on what a good dude Cora apparently is.

Still, can we all agree facing towards New England and extending middle digits?

o

I don't care if Alex Cora is the kindest, gentlest soul on the face of the planet ........ anyone whom is currently wearing a Yankees uniform or a Red Sox uniform can go jump in a lake.

I have (generally) been a little more lenient in that attitude towards guys like Brian Roberts and Paul Blair, who played the bulk of their careers for the Orioles before later playing for the Yankees in the twilight of it all.

o

4 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Because the game never happened.

That's why they didn't lower the number on Cal's streak on the warehouse until the game became official after 5 innings or 4.5 if the Orioles were leading.

52 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Really? If the O’s were in the heat of a pennant race and were up 5-0, then the game was called against the worst team in baseball, a game that was destined to get rained out, you’d be pissed too. On top of that, the Yankees had already lost. 

It's unfortunate for the Red Sox, but blaming the Orioles is nothing but sour grapes. Games are played through intermittent rain all the time. There have been several games this year that I have been shocked to see completed. 

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Paul Blair had some pretty key moments as a Yankee including a GWRBI in the WS.I miss him every day.

o

The Yankees might not have been in that World Series in the first place if not for Blair leading off the top of the 9th inning with a single in the 5th and deciding game of that seasons' ALCS against the Royals.

The Yankees were losing by one run in the 9th inning, and Blair's lead-off single started a 3-run rally that wound up being the difference in the game (and the series.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA197710090.shtml

Sparky Lyle ........ after having pitched 5.33 shutout innings the night before ........ shut the door on the Royals in the bottom of the 9th, with Freddie Patek as the potential tying run at home plate hitting into a double play to end the game. I still remember Patek crying profusely into his handkerchief in the dugout immediately after that happened.

o

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Yankees might not have been in that World Series in the first place if not for Blair leading off the top of the 9th inning with a single in the 5th and deciding game of that seasons' ALCS against the Royals.

The Yankees were losing by one run in the 9th inning, and Blair's lead-off single started a 3-run rally that wound up being the difference in the game (and the series.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA197710090.shtml

Sparky Lyle ........ after having pitched 5.33 shutout innings the night before ........ shut the door on the Royals in the bottom of the 9th, with Freddie Patek as the potential tying run at home plate hitting into a double play to end the game. I still remember Patek crying profusely into his handkerchief in the dugout immediately after that happened.

o

I remember Patek crying. It was one of those times, maybe one of the first, when I was thinking or saying, "Do they have to keep the camera on him for so long? Can't they just leave the guy alone?" The answer has long been clear -- no, they can't.

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Really? If the O’s were in the heat of a pennant race and were up 5-0, then the game was called against the worst team in baseball, a game that was destined to get rained out, you’d be pissed too. On top of that, the Yankees had already lost. 

I don't think Boston, either NY team, either LA team, the Cubs or the Phillies ever have anything to complain about.  They should win every year.

“I didn’t hear about it until this morning, which doesn’t surprise me,” Showalter said, rapping his knuckles on the table while attempting to measure his words.

“MLB called the game off. I don’t know what the ... MLB called the game. We don’t control that. So, if they’ve got a beef, they need to talk to MLB, right? I don’t know. What’s the deal? At least it wasn’t sleeting the whole game.”

Showalter was referencing an April matchup in the freezing rain at Fenway Park, with a few of his players wearing ski masks in an attempt to stay warm.

“They say play, we play,” Showalter continued. “I see all the diligent, unbelievable work that goes in to trying to predict weather. They do a great job. Last night was a tough one.

“Really, if you looked at it coming in, to play two out of three days, what a job done by Nicole (Sherry) and her crew. Anyway, they’re looking at the same radar we ... They control it, MLB and the umpires do. They say we’re going to call it, you call it and work on the reschedule.

“Obviously, I have a lot more deeper feelings about it. For those of us who have been around some of the history of things and other places. It’s part of the job, it’s not always fair. 

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/showalter-on-jones-and-last-nights-weather-controversy.html

On 7/26/2018 at 12:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Last night, the Orioles were the beneficiaries of what is arguably the stupidest rule in professional sports.

The "5-inning rule" ........ which completely wipes out the results of a game that has been started ........  encourages teams with an early lead to intentionally make outs, and it encourages pitchers of the team that has the lead to rush their pitches.

And the worst part of the rule is when something like last night happens.

Why that rule has not been changed is one of the great mysteries of sports, along with Division I-A college football's refusing to institute a 16-team playoff for the last 50 years or so.

All of that said, I do think that Cora complaining about the delay/stoppages in play from the previous night's game was sour grapes. That game was played for the full 9 innings, not a single pitch in the game was wiped out/erased, and both teams had to deal with the delays on an equal level. In fact, Cotra complaining at all about that game takes away from the outrage from what happened last night, which is solely and squarely where the focus/complaints ought to be (in my rat's ass of an opinion.)

o

o

(Orioles vs. Yankees, 8/01)

And now, the shoe is on the other foot ........ the Orioles lead the Yankees by a score of 7-1, and there is a rain-delay in the Bronx in between the 2nd and 3rd innings.

I have (and always will be) against that absurd rule of wiping out results of a game that has not had at least 5 innings completed ........ regardless of whether or not the Orioles are the beneficiary or the victim in the surrounding circumstances.

o

On 7/26/2018 at 12:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Last night, the Orioles were the beneficiaries of what is arguably the stupidest rule in professional sports.

The "5-inning rule" ........ which completely wipes out the results of a game that has been started ........  encourages teams with an early lead to intentionally make outs, and it encourages pitchers of the team that has the lead to rush their pitches.

And the worst part of the rule is when something like last night happens.

Why that rule has not been changed is one of the great mysteries of sports, along with Division I-A college football's refusing to institute a 16-team playoff for the last 50 years or so.

All of that said, I do think that Cora complaining about the delay/stoppages in play from the previous night's game was sour grapes. That game was played for the full 9 innings, not a single pitch in the game was wiped out/erased, and both teams had to deal with the delays on an equal level. In fact, Cotra complaining at all about that game takes away from the outrage from what happened last night, which is solely and squarely where the focus/complaints ought to be (in my rat's ass of an opinion.)

o

14 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(Orioles vs. Yankees, 8/01)

And now, the shoe is on the other foot ........ the Orioles lead the Yankees by a score of 7-1, and there is a rain-delay in the Bronx in between the 2nd and 3rd innings.

I have (and always will be) against that absurd rule of wiping out results of a game that has not had at least 5 innings completed ........ regardless of whether or not the Orioles are the beneficiary or the victim in the surrounding circumstances.

o

o

The Orioles dodged a bullet. The game was resumed, and completed.

I suspect that a lot of Red Sox fans had mixed feelings about what was occurring during the rain delay ........ on one hand, they wanted the Yankees to lose first and foremost to give them as much breathing room as possible atop the division. Division titles are like gold since the advent of the one-game Wildcard playoff game in 2012. On the other hand, I'm sure that they were thinking that it would be poetic justice if the Orioles had their large lead wiped out if they had been unable to complete 5 innings of this contest, only one week after they had been jobbed in their (expunged) game against the Orioles.

o

Archived