Brewers- It's On

section18

10 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Why would they want to trade Shaw? He's having a good season. A better one than Moustakas it seems too.

Seems like they got Moustakas really cheap so they pulled the trigger. I think Schoop going there is over with. I would like to see Schoop traded. Gausman should be traded as well but we have a little more wiggle room with him. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a brewer fan, my initial thought when I saw the Moustakas trade was that we were planning to trade Shaw in a big package for a big time starter. Archer/Stroman/Degrom/etc. Based on the comments from management and how Shaw has looked at 2b, I'm a bit more convinced that we seriously plan on playing Shaw at 2b. He hasn't looked bad, though he has yet to turn a double play.

I wouldn't completely disregard the rumors of Brewers and O's in serious discussions though. Miley is pitching for us currently and has made some very positive comments to the Brewers regarding Gausman specifically. It's certainly possibly the Schoop thing didn't work out but we are still trying to get Gausman or Bundy. There hasn't been much SP movement aside from Happ, most of the teams with arms available have team control on those arms and seem to be holding out for a big return.

Regarding the return for Moustakas. Phillips and Lopez were basically spare parts. I think Lopez was a bit underrated and has a good arm,  but with trading for Soria and a 40 man roster crunch coming this offseason...Lopez was unlikely to pitch another inning this year and definitely would have been DFA'd in the offseason. Phillips had more value and was highly touted. He was also a spare parts guy, but he was the primary piece in the trade and is generally a good dude. He got buried on the depth chart once we acquired Yelich and Cain. I'm happy he's getting a chance to play everyday.

I feel this continued Brewers talk, after the Moustakas trade, is everyone trying to squeeze a round peg into a square hole. They were going to trade for Moustakas OR Schoop, not both. Just let this thread die a slow death until some real news breaks. 

Archived