Who Goes Today?

weams

Who Goes Today?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Who Goes Today?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/18 at 16:02

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I can see Gausman and Valencia as possible.  Valencia could very well be August, as it fits more with an August deal.  Gausman is certainly a wildcard at this point.  I don't see Schoop or AJ going.

I can even see Gentry going, even while, I voted, no one else.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dealing Gausman and Bundy right now doesn’t seem like the most prudent path in maximizing their values. One official from another club told me this week that he’d take Bundy or Gausman in a heartbeat, but he wouldn’t give up the farm for either.

He’d trade for them as if they were back-end starters, not budding aces.

Yes, Gausman has two-plus years of control remaining and Bundy has three-plus, and that’s enticing, but they currently fit as mid-level starters in a solid rotation, the official said. The question that prospective teams must ask is whether they could count on Bundy (7-9, 4.53 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) and Gausman (5-8, 4.43 ERA, 1.38 WHIP) to help carry them to the 2018 postseason?

I think Gausman can be valued in a similar--or better--place for this year than the SP that have already been dealt. He's probably better than Hamels at this point, but maybe a bit behind Happ, for instance.  Gausman, meanwhile, has a bit more upside than Happ, but not quite the numbers this season AND two more years of control. Happ went for Drury (a 45-50 graduated prospect) and McKinney (45). One would assume for more 4X the amount of control, the price tag would at least be double that. So, would that mean something like Hayes and Kramer or Newman and someone like Brandon Waddell? I'd still do that deal. If you can get a 55, 50 and 40-45 guy, you do it. Would the haul be less than that? If so, I think I might hold.

I have no sense for what's going to happen or not. Literally, nada. 

If I had to close my eyes, turn around three times and guess... I'd say a minor move like Valencia for cash or considerations. 

But I'm in no rush to see us trade Schoop or Gausman, anyway, for reasons I've outlined before (selling low, basically).

If we do reasonably well with international signings (however they work), and manage our prospects well... and then have a good offseason, trading Schoop and whoever else we can for more prospects... AND we draft well next year (domestic and international)... it's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Birdfan21 said:

Just a gut feeling Trumbo goes for next to nothing.  He doesn’t want to be here, they want to cut payroll, he does provide some power to a contender. If not today it’ll happen before next opening day. 

They would have to pay most of his salary this year and next.  He is owed what 13.5 million next year?  I am guessing if the Orioles ate all but 2 million dollars of his salary someone might bite.  He is here through next season.  

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

They would have to pay most of his salary this year and next.  He is owed what 13.5 million next year?  I am guessing if the Orioles ate all but 2 million dollars of his salary someone might bite.  He is here through next season.  

I think you're underestimating Trumbo.  The Orioles might well have to eat some salary to trade him, but not nearly as much as you're saying here.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think you're underestimating Trumbo.  The Orioles might well have to eat some salary to trade him, but not nearly as much as you're saying here.

I think his valuation of Trumbo is on point. He's paid like a 2 Win ballplayer that is barely above replacement level.  He is a one-trick pony offensively and that one trick is overrated. He has no to negative defensive value anywhere you put him on the diamond. 

His player type is not valued in today's analytical environment.  

I said no one.  But, I think that if my choice was no one or the field, I'd take the field.  But, I have no confidence in any one particular player being traded.  At this point, I'd only expect a small trade, not a big one (Gausman, Bundy or Schoop).

Did I hedge enough of my bets?  I think I mean, I don't know.  :-)

Just now, awannabegeek said:

I think his valuation of Trumbo is on point. He's paid like a 2 Win ballplayer that is barely above replacement level.  He is a one-trick pony offensively and that one trick is overrated. He has no to negative defensive value anywhere you put him on the diamond. 

His player type is not valued in today's analytical environment.  

But $2 million?  A lot of teams would love to have him at that kind of cost.  If he's traded, the Orioles won't have to eat $11.5 million of his salary, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

But $2 million?  A lot of teams would love to have him at that kind of cost.  If he's traded, the Orioles won't have to eat $11.5 million of his salary, IMO.

We got him for Steve Clevenger when he was making less than 7 million a year and was younger.  He has had back to back bad seasons and is 32 and can't play defense.   I think if Trumbo was not  under contract for next season he would probably have to take a minor league deal. 

Archived