Chris Davis Trade Possible in 2019-20?

Bradysburns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw him play in high school and I think he went 18 for 22 in that game, mostly from long range.   I thought he was going to be great for the Terps, but that’s when I learned that suburban Montgomery County basketball wasn’t exactly a breeding ground for basketball greatness.     He did have one great game where he came off the bench in the last few minutes and made several long jumpers to lead a Maryland comeback.    I forget the opponent.  

I am sure it was Duke!  ?  Yeah played for Blair and prob the JCC teams.  Our boy big swish Davis bopped one last night and barreled up a nice single.  He's back!

22 hours ago, beervendor said:

There's also the PR nightmare scenario where the team eats the contract and Davis goes on to find a moderate (or stunning) resurgence with another team. Currently, the team has only made one enormous miscalculation and a large portion of blame has fallen on the player. The money is spent either way, does the downside of blocking a prospect outweigh the risk of royally and very publicly screwing the proverbial pooch *AGAIN*? Laughingstock wouldn't begin to describe it. Not advocating any particular approach, just sayin...

It's a good point you raise, but I don't think the fallout would be any worse than Arrietta's success once he was shipped out.  I don't know... I just don't feel that he is the veteran leader a young team might need to look to given how little he seems to have worked before the season started and the futility of the "changes" he's made during the season to improve.  The whole tale about how much he worked in the offseason and the contradictions, therein, worry me about him being the type of player Adam Jones was to our upstart club once Buck arrived.

I just don't think you DFA him, which they should do if they can't find a buyer.  Even paying 80% of his contract is better than just casting him off having to foot the whole bill.  But as someone said, it is money that has theoretically already been spent.  Either way, I just don't see him here next season.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:40 PM, baltfan said:

People hate Law here but he sure was right on the value of Davis in this clip  

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14333343

I was not for signing him, but I think Bowden's perspective is why there IS a team that would take him if we put up enough of the contract.  Any minimal agreement to pay him by another team is better than simply releasing him.  That's MY only point.  It very well could be that he is so bad, under the view of Law, that any team willing to take a chance on him won't do it til he's released because his numbers are soooooo llllooooowwwww.  It's an albatross that needs to be cast off in whatever way at the smallest cost to a dumb team that made the deal in the first place.

KKKKris Davis

Anyway, maybe he finds the fountain of youth/some steroids and manages to OPS .850 by next year's break.  Then he might be tradeable if we eat some money.  That's about the only way.  And I would put the odds that he manages to do the above at about 500-to-1.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's no way.  Even if he comes out and mashes next year there's still going to be a very real fear about how low he can sink.  

I suspect if he comes out and mashes next year, we'll eat 1/3 to 1/2 of his contract, take some B/B+ prospects, and send him on his way.  Being in a tight pennant race with a hole in your lineup becomes a really strong motivator, and renders a large part of normal logic moot, in my opinion.

That team can always cut him if he falls off the cliff again, with a much smaller financial burden, since the O's are paying a lot of it.

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I suspect if he comes out and mashes next year, we'll eat 1/3 to 1/2 of his contract, take some B/B+ prospects, and send him on his way.  Being in a tight pennant race with a hole in your lineup becomes a really strong motivator, and renders a large part of normal logic moot, in my opinion.

That team can always cut him if he falls off the cliff again, with a much smaller financial burden, since the O's are paying a lot of it.

I'm not sure.  He's been hitting this way for well over a year now.  I can't see any team taking him no matter how much contract we eat, AAAAND giving us prospects because he's hits so poorly for so long that anything he does that's positive is almost an outlier.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure.  He's been hitting this way for well over a year now.  I can't see any team taking him no matter how much contract we eat, AAAAND giving us prospects because he's hits so poorly for so long that anything he does that's positive is almost an outlier.

For sure it will depress his value, and I also don't think he will be any team's first choice.  But we might be able to find a desperate team that whiffed on the real prizes of the trade deadline.

Archived