The Kevin Gausman appreciation thread

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

KG never quite became the ace we hoped he’d be, but he played an important role in our rotation in our 2014 and 2016 playoff runs.    I have a feeling his best seasons are in front of him.   

He will now.  I think one of the most under rated players in hangout land here.  This one is going to hurt.  This trade is not good unless this slot money leads to Victor Victor Mesa.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

KG never quite became the ace we hoped he’d be, but he played an important role in our rotation in our 2014 and 2016 playoff runs.    I have a feeling his best seasons are in front of him.   

his 2016 wasn't terribly far from ace status.  I was hoping we'd see another season like that (or even better.)  It seemed like he was so close to turning the corner... and then first half 2017 happened.

I remember when we drafted him and watching him with LSU, eating the donuts between innings. It was exciting because he was the college arm that could make it to the majors quicker to help extend our competitive window. He did do that and he was enjoyable to watch at times.

Emotions and bias aside, he never quite harnessed three pitches at once, which made it difficult for him to thrive. I almost forgot about back half of 2016 until Hallas pointed it out. I remember a few of those starts, it felt like he was peaking at the right age. Maybe it's between the ears and he'll harness it in ATL. Seems like that happens to us a lot. His FB and splitter can both be plus, so his slider he only needs to be able to mix it and spot it. I'll root for him.

It will be painful if he blossoms. I'll be happy for him, but it will feel like another Oriole kick in the nuts, especially because the package of player doesn't seem that great, even from the start. 

Anywho, good luck Kevin! Thanks for working hard at your job and contributing to our winning teams. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 2

Pitched well entire career here. Helped us win the division in 2014.  It seems like only yesterday I saw him walking accross the club level while putting on his jersey with DD to announce his signing.   Time travels quickly.  I am sure he will be a big success in Atlanta with better coaches and a better defense behind him.  Gausman will be missed. 

I wish him the best.  I have to wonder if there were some issues between him and Buck, and possibly others in the organization.  Palmer criticized him on more than one occasion for poor pitch selection, insinuating that he either wasn't focused, or prepared, or maybe baseball savvy.  And there was the time earlier this year when Buck was so quick to yank him out of a game that he crossed in front of a Red Sox player, I think it was Betts, as he was rounding 3rd during his home run trot.  I dunno, some things just seemed off at times.  But I think it's clear that he never developed into the the TOR guy they thought/hoped he would, which is a shame.  I think that if the Orioles believed he still had ceiling, that he'd be on the team today.  The fact that the moved him tells me they think he's going to continue to be a middling starter.  We shall see.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

My favorite pitcher by far. Reunited with Wallace and Chiti and pitching with a real defense behind him, I think he has a bid Aug/Sept/Oct and his best year in 2019

Guys that can still hit 97 on their 110th pitch are rare

Still doesn't make them a good pitcher.  Daniel Cabrera could hit 98 on the gun, for example.  Again, we shall see.

I was sad about this one, though I think it was the right strategic move. 

I've been a Gausman fan since he came up. I found his slight oddballness— the lankiness, the tattoos and glasses, the donuts way back when— endearing. He's fun to watch when he's on, and he has the stamina to be a real ace if he ever puts it all together. 

The last two years have been pretty disappointing, but I agree with others that his best seasons are probably ahead of him. I won't be surprised at all if he gets back to his 2016 levels in the NL. Keep that up for a couple years and he'd get a nice contract in free agency. 

I have to admit that when it was Kevin who was scheduled to pitch this year, I would dread it. But then he was there, sailing through the line up, getting outs.  I  will definitely miss him. But he'll be with some other ex-Orioles . Brad, Darren O'Day, Nick, Flash. He'll have some company.

I’ve always thought he’ll be able to put it together because his raw stuff is just so good. But unless I’m remembering incorrectly I’d say his debut performance against the Blue Jays way back when set a trend for his career to date - he’s got an electric fastball, but his off-speed stuff just hasn’t been good or consistent enough to keep hitters off of the FB. It’s always been a bit of a mystery how much contact he allows for a power pitcher. I wish him well and I still think there’s a decent chance he elevates his game to the next level in the NL.