Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure how much I like Villar at SS from a defensive perspective.  But certainly better than Martin with the bat, we'd probably see an overall improvement from total value at that position if Villar was at SS.  Hanser at 2nd would be ok.  

Certainly not a middle infield that would be part of the future but it could be fun.

Is Hanser serviceable at 3B?

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hanser's arm is not strong at 3B.  Its better used at 2B.    He can backup a 3B but I don't think it should be where he gets most of his playing time.

From what I have read his shoulder surgery in 2017 cost him some arm strength.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hanser's arm is not strong at 3B.  Its better used at 2B.    He can backup a 3B but I don't think it should be where he gets most of his playing time.

So do you prefer Hanser at 2B and JV at SS

or

JV at 2B and Hanser at 3B?

Never seen Villar at 3B ... but I’d assume he could play 3B with Alberto at 2B

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Would have to see if he's as serviceable as Villar.

So if you're headed into next year and your options are  SS Villar / 2B Hanser or SS Martin / 2B Villar...obviously one performs better offensively.  Defensively?  Would have to weigh out the difference but I'm assuming SS Villar / 2B Hanser still comes out ahead.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Villar is good.  And he'd be a good player on a team where he's not viewed as one of their best players.  Like if the Astros had an open 2nd base spot, Villar would be good for them.  

Unfortunately, the Orioles are filled with guys that would be good on better teams where their deficiencies are masked.  We've got a decent power guy like Renato Nunez with a .309 OBP.  That OBP would be alright if he was on a team surrounded by guys that got on base and he could jack one every so often.  Same with Hanser, he doesn't strike out but he doesn't walk, either.  

Villar gets on base at a decent enough, but not spectacular clip.  He's got some pop.  He can steal a base but also can run you right out of an inning by doing something incredibly boneheaded.  So while he's a good player and I'd like to keep him...dunno, it just doesn't make too much sense.  Then again, we don't have a 2B prospect knocking on the door.  

Fairly accurate take here. I do think he’s a candidate for a reasonable two year deal as a placeholder. Heck, I wanted Iglesias at SS I’m the offseason and he signed a MiL deal.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

So do you prefer Hanser at 2B and JV at SS

or

JV at 2B and Hanser at 3B?

Never seen Villar at 3B ... but I’d assume he could play 3B with Alberto at 2B

I like Alberto 2B,   Villar SS,   Ruiz 3B

Villar offers so much more offense than Martin.  Villar has good range but is a little more error prone.   I can live with the errors for the offense.  

Alberto is much better at 2B than 3B because he does not have the arm for 3B.   Villar maybe has a little more range at 2B than Alberto but Alberto is steadier on defense at 2B.     I think Alberto will hit righties better according to what he did in 2018 at AAA and what I have seen lately this season.  

I like Ruiz at 3B.  He has the arm.  He fields well there.  He has made some adjustments in his offense in the past few weeks.   We will see the rest of the season whether the has the bat to stay a 3B.  Ruiz does not hit lefties so the O's probably need a different  alignment vs them.

10 hours ago, Finisher said:

Can't wait to non tender this scrub.

Maybe the trade deadline was affecting him?  He’s been on fire since he knew he was staying put. 

The ship has sailed, but I think we should’ve claimed Galvis off waivers. He mashes against the Orioles.

Right now we’re looking at Ruiz/Peterson, Villar, Alberto in the IF next year. 

Elias may have been trying to posture for a better trade return for Villar.  He can be traded before the O's go to arbitration.  If he can finish the season with an .800 OPS, 20-25 HRs, and 35-40 SBs, he could be very attractive to a competitive team looking for a 1 year rental at 2B.

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe the trade deadline was affecting him?  He’s been on fire since he knew he was staying put. 

The ship has sailed, but I think we should’ve claimed Galvis off waivers. He mashes against the Orioles.

Right now we’re looking at Ruiz/Peterson, Villar, Alberto in the IF next year. 

He's been a solid 2 WAR guy all season. He's gotten hot enough to maybe hit 3 WAR.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, wildcard said:

Alberto’s defense is bad everywhere. He’s only playable if he continues to hit like he has been.