Bucks recent comments

Roll Tide

“I’m just excited about getting the good, talented players and leading them in the right direction to put together something special here again.”

This is from Rochs article this morning.

I am starting to think that Dan and Buck are going to be retained. If the new acting leadership is being honest Dad has been the real problem for more than a decade.

If I had to chose one it would be Duquette, but I'm okay with Buck being here for a couple more season.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re both talking as though they’ll be here, and that’s how they should be talking IMO.     But I don’t think it necessarily means they’ve been told they’ll be back.   

I agree but I think they have. No one in their right mind would let an outgoing GM have a sell off in my opinion. Dan talked about having a plan moving forward. I doubt he would've done that if there wasn't an understanding about his job security. With Buck he just sounds like he's spoken to Dan.

All speculation that John or Lou should put to rest if they are intent on keeping these guys IMO

Nothing will happen between now and the end of the season that should change anything. As much as you don't want to lose, getting the 1st pick in the draft is the best option. Over modest improvement in the record by a bunch of guys that mostly have nothing to do in the future.

I'm not sure announcing an extension for Buck while he's in the midst of one of the worst seasons in Major League history is a solid marketing tool.  

Let the season end, announce that Duke is coming back.  Then let Duke decide whether Buck returns, and if so, Duke makes that announcement.  By that time the "regular" fan base will take it as positive offseason news and will be excited to see how they handle the offseason.  

I'm of the impression they both should be replaced, but that said, they both were part of turning this franchise around, and if Duke truly has the power now, then I'd be okay with them both returning IF that decision is Duquette's to make. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Whoa, a levelheaded intelligent response.

I agree, 100%.  

Yeah, Frobby has been polluting this board with that "levelheaded, responsible" crap for way too long now.  Makes it hard to get a good torches and pitchforks mob started.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This is from Rochs article this morning.

I am starting to think that Dan and Buck are going to be retained. If the new acting leadership is being honest Dad has been the real problem for more than a decade.

If I had to chose one it would be Duquette, but I'm okay with Buck being here for a couple more season.

Maybe he will be. 

I remember reading Buck was thinking of retiring after his contract expires 2018, a few years ago. Looks like he's having second thoughts. I dont really care except for the "favoritism to vets" thing, I dont think it has been a problem because no prospect are really forcing their way onto the team yet.    

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’re both talking as though they’ll be here, and that’s how they should be talking IMO.     But I don’t think it necessarily means they’ve been told they’ll be back.   

I think you are right, particularly in Buck's case. I think Buck has to go for his good and for the good of the organization. He had a great run, but it is over. 

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you possibly have back to back last place finishes with the second being a franchise worst and extend the Manager and GM?

When those seasons are the fault of the owner and not the GM and manager, probably.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

When those seasons are the fault of the owner and not the GM and manager, probably.

I think we all agree that Duquette's hands have been tied until recently. So it's really hard to judge his performance when he was probably being undermined and wasn't calling the shots up until a few months ago. 

Buck, on the other hand, has made plenty of bad managerial decisions over the last few years. Shunning Kim, continuing to play "his" guys (Tillman, Davis, etc.), and moving Manny to SS. Those were all bad decisions that hurt this team. Yes he did some good, but it's abundantly clear that ship has sailed. Thank him for his service and send him on his way. 

19 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think we all agree that Duquette's hands have been tied until recently. So it's really hard to judge his performance when he was probably being undermined and wasn't calling the shots up until a few months ago. 

Buck, on the other hand, has made plenty of bad managerial decisions over the last few years. Shunning Kim, continuing to play "his" guys (Tillman, Davis, etc.), and moving Manny to SS. Those were all bad decisions that hurt this team. Yes he did some good, but it's abundantly clear that ship has sailed. Thank him for his service and send him on his way. 

While I agree with you on his bad decisions, I think it's unfair to omit the countless brilliant coaching decisions he's made during his time here.  And as for Manny to SS, I assumed that was a direction from the front office to hopefully increase his trade value.  Everyone knew what he could do at third, show he's good at short, too.  Didn't really work out, but it could have been more damaging to move him back than to play up the narrative of the learning curve to get back to his level of defense.

All that said, I do think it's time to move on from Buck.

Archived