August Trade Stock Watch

ScGO's

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

3 down votes for something everyone knows? I think I will just post on MASN boards from now on.  People on here have no clue about baseball.  

A thread about August trades and bring up Bundy (who won't clear waivers) after quoting a section that doesn't mention him,  so you could whine about trade that isn't related.

I didn't down vote and think you're fine to be upset about a trade.   However, you're so far out in left field, you don't even care how unrelated and silly your post was.   

If you can't remotely stay on topic,  don't post.   It's simply a waste of everyone's time. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, atomic said:

Props to DD for getting nothing for Gausman by packaging him with O'Day?  So you want us to package Bundy with Trumbo and get nothing in return? 

Well, your handle certainly is apropos.  But, Ill play.  Nothing:  To get nothing...the options would literally be to release Gausman and still pay him or I guess we could have traded him and paid his salary for a PTABNL.  That's nothing literally.  Unquestionably the Orioles did better than that and you know it.  You keep screaming as if the Orioles were held up at gun point.  There are plenty here who think the Orioles didn't get enough.  And with any deal, the proof will be what it looks like down the road.  But your constant screaming of an opinion and demanding it be accepted as fact is just childish.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

It is true but for some reason you are living in fantasy land where you don't want to admit.  Best prospect according to MLB.com is Jean Carlos Encarnacio who is rated as our 15 best prospect and is rated overall as a 45.  You get more than that for a dependable middle of the rotation guy with over 2 1/2 years left. It was a complete steal for the Braves.  A complete salary dump and no regards to the return. 

See bold above.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Well he had the value to get someone to pay 12 million dollars for him in addition to his salary so I think you are clearly mistaken.  In no way does your arguments make any sense. 

You understand that this statement completely refutes the first one right?

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

3 down votes for something everyone knows? I think I will just post on MASN boards from now on.  People on here have no clue about baseball.  

I don't do down votes very often at all and did not here.  Everyone has the right to their own opinions and the board exists to come and share em.  But you take odd positions without giving grounded evidence to support, and then use evidence against the position to argue for it.  And it happens a bunch.  Discussion here shouldn't require screaming and shouldn't require negative "votes".  Get yourself squared away, Atomic. You can be better than this.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Why would you be pleased? The team's payroll next year will be low.  What will it gain you to get non-prospects for a guy of Bundy just to save 13.5 million dollars of Trumbo's salary?   You can always just DFA Trumbo if you don't want him on the team. 

Don't want to pay his salary.  Again, Bundy is much like Gausman in my eyes, a player who is overrated by their own team.  Bundy seems like a guy who won't last long in the league with his injuries and body frame.  He gives up a ton or HRs too.  I wouldn't trade him for non-prospects.  I think the O's got prospects back in the Gausman trade, but a lot of the value that would have went into the caliber of prospects came to us in the form of shedding a payroll and acquiring the intl money.  I think we would get better prospects back in a trade that included Trumbo and Bundy than we did for Gausman and Oday bc  a lot of that value was in intl money which we probably wouldn't ask for in this trade.

Also for the record, I never recommended trading Trumbo and Bundy in a package, just that Dan may find an interesting way to shed Trumbo's contract.  For example maybe we trade him with a prospect to shed his salary.  I'd get up off a Rifela, Messinger, or a McCoy to get rid of Trumbo's contract.  Personally, I would try to shop Bundy this winter when more teams may be in the market for a SP.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I would love it if they cut Trumbo and non-tendered Beckham. LOVE IT. 

I could see Trumbo cut, Caleb, and Rickard being non-tendered but I would hold onto Beckham for a minute.  I still think we can scrape some value out of him, especially if he learns to play OF and becomes a super utility guy.  He's been killing it in the 2nd half so far and if he can put together a decent season next year, I think we could trade him either at the trade deadline or next offseason.  

The same with Cobb.  There is no rush with him as he has 3 years left.  Let us wait and see if he can turn it around in the next year or two than ship him when his value is higher.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle.  ?

If you still think Mancini can carry the bat for first put him there.  If you can't find anyone better put Davis there and rotate the DH.

I'm not worried about first base on the 2019 squad.

I think Mancini deserves a full year at 1B to determine what type of player he really is.  He's been solid so far in the 2nd half, and I still love his bat speed.  With 2019 being a wash, I would like Mancini to be our opening day 1B.

36 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If Trumbo finishes well it's not inconceivable that he be moved in the off season.  Not for anything too valuable but still.  Same with Cashner.  Givens could fetch a decent prospect.  Cobb and Bundy, with the multiple years left, are our 1 and 2 for 2019, which is fine.  Someone has to pitch and if they do well they could bring a nice return at the deadline.  Jones, Gentry, Valencia, Beckham, etc. will just disappear soon.  The only problem on the entire 40 man is that Davis disaster.  Pete wanted him, Pete gotta pay him, preferably to be somewhere other than Baltimore.

Givens and Bundy are the two that Dan needs to be smart with this offseason.  They both need to be traded by the end of next offseason in my opinion, but at a time when Dan thinks their value is as high as it can get in terms of years of control, the market for pitching, and their performance.

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Mancini deserves a full year at 1B to determine what type of player he really is.  He's been solid so far in the 2nd half, and I still love his bat speed.  With 2019 being a wash, I would like Mancini to be our opening day 1B.

I don't think he deserves anything but since we aren't going go be competitive I'd consider it.

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

In two years from now, we may also look back and realize Gausman wasn't all that good.  I didn't think he had a ton of value going into the trade deadline personally.

I do think we got a bit less than value on Gausman.  To get a half season of a 30 year old journeyman Scott Feldman cost us Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop.  Did Gausman’s return (and he has two years of control, not a half season) come even remotely close in prospects to  two actual major league pitchers in return...no,    Even totally removing their subsequent performance after the trade, the actual return for a rental starter then was two major league pitchers.  

So, maybe it is just that the market was bad, but I will continue to think that we could have done better waiting on the Gausman trade. But the O day money and the international money is what seemed to create this impetus.   Maybe we get a ringer out of this, maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he deserves anything but since we aren't going go be competitive I'd consider it.

I just meant in the sense that he had a good rookie year and showed the ability to be a 3 WAR player.  And he's played a position the last 2 seasons that he doesn't want to play and everyone in the world including himself knows he's terrible at.  If he looks like last year's Mancini in the 2nd half, I'd hope Dan would find a way to make him our 1B next year. 1 year to find out if Trey is MLB 1B.  I feel like a bunch of the O's that are coming back next year should get a pass after this disastrous year.  Who knows what being part of this team did to their mental focus.  

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I just meant in the sense that he had a good rookie year and showed the ability to be a 3 WAR player.  And he's played a position the last 2 seasons that he doesn't want to play and everyone in the world including himself knows he's terrible at.  If he looks like last year's Mancini in the 2nd half, I'd hope Dan would find a way to make him our 1B next year. 1 year to find out if Trey is MLB 1B.  I feel like a bunch of the O's that are coming back next year should get a pass after this disastrous year.  Who knows what being part of this team did to their mental focus.  

I'm being serious here.  If they can't focus as a pre or arbitration eligible player I'm not sure MLB is the right career for them.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Honestly, I agree with you, the Gausman trade, in my opinion was not great, but I am going to downvote this baseless melodrama. Maybe you should consider the Soap Opera message boards.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

Well he had the value to get someone to pay 12 million dollars for him in addition to his salary so I think you are clearly mistaken.  In no way does your arguments make any sense. 

Gausman has some value.   So did the salary relief we got on O’Day, the $2.5 mm in slot money, and the four players.     It’s going to be a couple of years before we know the value we got in exchange for Gausman.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gausman has some value.   So did the salary relief we got on O’Day, the $2.5 mm in slot money, and the four players.     It’s going to be a couple of years before we know the value we got in exchange for Gausman.

It’s the old “Trade everyone away, we’re the worst team in baseball.”  Then “I don’t know the players we got back, why did we make that trade?”  

Cant have it both ways. 

But back to the OP, I hope Trumbo is hitting his way into somehow being a commodity. Even if it’s a salary dump. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But back to the OP, I hope Trumbo is hitting his way into somehow being a commodity. Even if it’s a salary dump. 

Call me old fashioned, but sometimes I like to see players do well just for the sake of doing well.  Yes I’d like to be able to offload Trumbo, but if he’s going to be on our team, I’d rather watch the 2018 version than the 2017 version.    He’s having a half-decent season considering his natural limitations.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Call me old fashioned, but sometimes I like to see players do well just for the sake of doing well.  Yes I’d like to be able to offload Trumbo, but if he’s going to be on our team, I’d rather watch the 2018 version than the 2017 version.    He’s having a half-decent season considering his natural limitations.   

I agree.  As much as we discuss the team's performance and the business side of the game, I still like to feel good for the human beings who are putting on the uniform.  

Archived