Luis Ortiz 2018

Flash- bd

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Ortiz looks atrocious. It’s hard to imagine he’s ever a starter for a decent mlb team. 

Watching Walker Buehler again tonight made it even more painful to know he was one pick from possibly being ours, that youngster is filthy. 

So it is time to Give Up on all the 23 year olds that do not pitch Lights Out in their first MLB Start.

9 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Ortiz looks atrocious. It’s hard to imagine he’s ever a starter for a decent mlb team. 

Watching Walker Buehler again tonight made it even more painful to know he was one pick from possibly being ours, that youngster is filthy. 

Didn't watch the game. Could you tell in a bit more detail why so atrocious?

Luis Ortiz’s first major league start tonight didn’t carry through the second inning.

Ortiz came out of the game with an injury, perhaps sustained while trying to avoid a collision with Chris Davis. He faced one more batter, walking Yolmer Sánchez, and limped off the mound with assistant athletic trainer Mark Shires and pitching coach Roger McDowell.

I'm starting to wonder if Chris Davis thinks that he's on a personal mission from Jesus to destroy the Orioles. ?

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Didn't watch the game. Could you tell in a bit more detail why so atrocious?

Probably cause he's fat.  I didn't see it, but apparently he hurt himself running over to try and cover first base and had to be pulled early.

I look at it as potential energy and good for hibernation, personally.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Probably cause he's fat.  I didn't see it, but apparently he hurt himself running over to try and cover first base and had to be pulled early.

I look at it as potential energy and good for hibernation, personally.

There is video of the injury in this story.

The injury is not because he is fat. Yoan Moncada hit a grounder up the first base line that Davis fielded at the edge of the outfield. Ortiz, Moncada, and Davis all run toward the bag. Ortiz looks like he would be there in perhaps enough time to get Moncada (who has elite speed. rated 65). Despite this, Davis holds onto the ball and keeps running toward the bag. Ortiz beat Davis to the bag, but because Davis did not toss the ball and was barreling toward Ortiz, Ortiz stopped short and had to quickly jump out of Davis' way.

This is on Chris Davis. It was a bad play. 

3 minutes ago, Santandah said:

There is video of the injury in this story.

The injury is not because he is fat. Yoan Moncada hit a grounder up the first base line that Davis fielded at the edge of the outfield. Ortiz, Moncada, and Davis all run toward the bag. Ortiz looks like he would be there in perhaps enough time to get Moncada (who has elite speed. rated 65). Despite this, Davis holds onto the ball and keeps running toward the bag. Ortiz beat Davis to the bag, but because Davis did not toss the ball and was barreling toward Ortiz, Ortiz stopped short and had to quickly jump out of Davis' way.

This is on Chris Davis. It was a bad play. 

I disagree.    Ortiz was slow getting to 1B and Davis had to run there because Ortiz wasn’t going to beat Moancada to the bag.   Which he should have been able to do, except that he runs very poorly.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I disagree.    Ortiz was slow getting to 1B and Davis had to run there because Ortiz wasn’t going to beat Moancada to the bag.   Which he should have been able to do, except that he runs very poorly.   

I looked at that. Davis made the decision very early on to not toss the ball to Ortiz. He cocked is arm back and changed his mind. Moncada and Ortiz neared the bag at almost the same pace. He should have tossed the ball. 

Pause the video at 6 seconds. You'll see Ortiz is actually closest to the bag out of the three -- and at this point he jams on the breaks because Davis, who is furthest from the bag of the three, is coming right at him. 

It would have been close, and Moncada probably would have been safe. But Davis had no shot at him at all. 

4 hours ago, Santandah said:

Pause the video at 6 seconds. You'll see Ortiz is actually closest to the bag out of the three -- and at this point he jams on the breaks because Davis, who is furthest from the bag of the three, is coming right at him. 

It would have been close, and Moncada probably would have been safe. But Davis had no shot at him at all. 

True, but I'm pretty sure Davis went to the base because he could see Ortiz wouldn't get there on time.

Some overweight pitchers have speed and agility despite carrying the extra weight. Sabathia was like that until injuries and age slowed him down. I saw just a little of Ortiz last night, but he doesn't look like he's one of them. 

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

True, but I'm pretty sure Davis went to the base because he could see Ortiz wouldn't get there on time.

Some overweight pitchers have speed and agility despite carrying the extra weight. Sabathia was like that until injuries and age slowed him down. I saw just a little of Ortiz last night, but he doesn't look like he's one of them. 

Could you be more specific?  He's had the hammy since Biloxi so he was favoring it.  Give him a pass.  :leaving:

25 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Could you be more specific?  He's had the hammy since Biloxi so he was favoring it.  Give him a pass.  :leaving:

I didn't know about the hamstring. He just looked slow and a little awkward in the field, based on a tiny sample size. Glad to reserve judgment until next year, but I hope I'll be looking at a slimmer version then.

Archived