Cobb & Cashner Clear Waivers

Greg Pappas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the Gausman trade signaled that the O's are willing to trade any player making money.   I think Cobb will be traded now or in the off season.   I don't  think  they would  send money with him but they could package him with someone like  Trumbo this off season.    It would not surprise me if he is traded in the next few days to a contender for next to nothing if they can unload the contract.  I'd rather see them hold out through the winter to get a good prospect in return.

Cashner is not pitching well enough to attractive much attention from a contender.

No one is going to trade for Cobb or Trumbo without the Orioles picking up most of their salaries.  We don't have a Gausman to put in a deal to get rid of them. I guess we could package Trumbo with Mountcastle and DL Hall and so.eone would bite.

51 minutes ago, atomic said:

No one is going to trade for Cobb or Trumbo without the Orioles picking up most of their salaries.  We don't have a Gausman to put in a deal to get rid of them. I guess we could package Trumbo with Mountcastle and DL Hall and so.eone would bite.

Trumbo can;t be traded at all now until he recovers and shows that he is fit to play and can. Just like O'Day.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So what you are saying is that none of the Brewers, Braves, Phillies, Cards, Cubs, D'Backs,  or Rockies could use a  hot starter for  2-3m this season  plus  enough salary room to keep him for 3 more seasons.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So what you are saying is that none of the Brewers, Braves, Phillies, Cards, Cubs, D'Backs,  or Rockies could use a  hot starter for  2-3m this season  plus  enough salary room to keep him for 3 more seasons.

I am not sure what you are saying.  Are you suggesting we pay someone 45 million dollars to take Cobb? 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No

Then what you mean with enough salary room to keep him for 3 more years?  I thought you mean you were going to pay his salary for the next 3 years. No one is going to take on Cobb's contract. If they wanted him they would have gotten him in free agency. He has performed much worse than expected and the Orioles were the only team interested in signing him to the deal he got. 

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Then what you mean with enough salary room to keep him for 3 more years?  I thought you mean you were going to pay his salary for the next 3 years. No one is going to take on Cobb's contract. If they wanted him they would have gotten him in free agency. He has performed much worse than expected and the Orioles were the only team interested in signing him to the deal he got. 

Those clubs were not a month away from the playoffs when Cobb signed last spring.   Cobb is probably the hottest  starter that has cleared waivers.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Those clubs were not a month away from the playoffs when Cobb signed last spring.   Cobb is probably the hottest  starter that has cleared waivers.

I don't think teams are going to be willing to pay Cobb for 3+ years for a playoff push when he isn't even eligible for postseason play.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think teams are going to be willing to pay Cobb for 3+ years for a playoff push when he isn't even eligible for postseason play.

Maybe you know something I don't.   I thought if Cobb is traded before the end of August he is eligible for the postseason.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe you know something I don't.   I thought if Cobb is traded before the end of August he is eligible for the postseason.

To be honest I am just not expecting anything to be done in the next week.  No hint of anything, no team with a huge need.

I suppose it could happen, I was just assuming if anything happened it would be in Sept.

I should have explained my thinking.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To be honest I am just not expecting anything to be done in the next week.  No hint of anything, no team with a huge need.

I suppose it could happen, I was just assuming if anything happened it would be in Sept.

I should have explained my thinking.

The O's didn't put Cobb and Cashner through waivers for fun.   I bet Dan is burning up the the phones trying to move them.  Cobb is a hot starter and more likely to be attractive to a contender.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's didn't put Cobb and Cashner through waivers for fun.   I bet Dan is burning up the the phones trying to move them.  Cobb is a hot starter and move likely to be attractive to a contender.

Everyone goes through waivers. Everyone. 

Archived