Olney on Ownership, Duquette, Anderson, and Showalter

Greg Pappas

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buster didn't offer any new insight; he just raises the questions we have already been asking about what will happen after the season.  In short, "how the Angelos family handles the big decisions ahead will say a lot about the direction of the franchise, as it enters a period in which it will need to engender as much good will as possible within the community."

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Buster Olney wrote an article (down a bit, after the Nationals stuff) that had a few talking points regarding the Orioles:

• Wondering how John and Lou Angelos will go about the business of remaking the franchise
  • Dan Duquette and the future of the GM position
  • Brady Anderson's future with the team
  • The Buck Showalter situation

Well I know I feel about the situation and if two of three aren't gone then I am. I can't put up with anymore Brady and Buck. I won't be surprised if the three are staying though. 

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well I know I feel about the situation and if two of three aren't gone then I am. I can't put up with anymore Brady and Buck. I won't be surprised if the three are staying though. 

Why would the O's pay Buck 3.5m to lose 100 games?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Why would the O's pay Buck 3.5m to lose 100 games?

The only reason to do it is if you see him being the guy to build the team back up over 3-4 years, install good fundamentals, etc.   I think we rightly gave Buck a lot of the credit for moving the team from a loser to a winner from 2010 to 2012, even though it took 2 years to do it.    

That said, I’m not feeling it.   I just think this team needs to hear someone else’s message.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The only reason to do it is if you see him being the guy to build the team back up over 3-4 years, install good fundamentals, etc.   I think we rightly gave Buck a lot of the credit for moving the team from a loser to a winner from 2010 to 2012, even though it took 2 years to do it.    

That said, I’m not feeling it.   I just think this team needs to hear someone else’s message.    

Would you bring back DD or rather have a fresh voice from a new GM? 

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Would you bring back DD or rather have a fresh voice from a new GM? 

It depends on whether we think we could attract somebody better to Baltimore.   Last time we were rejected by 3-4 GM candidates we targeted.    If I thought we could interview 5 good candidates and get one of the top two (in the team’s opinion) to take the job, I’d rather have a fresh start.    But I’d rather have Duquette than somebody who nobody else wants.   

Archived