Olney on Ownership, Duquette, Anderson, and Showalter

Greg Pappas

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on whether we think we could attract somebody better to Baltimore.   Last time we were rejected by 3-4 GM candidates we targeted.    If I thought we could interview 5 good candidates and get one of the top two (in the team’s opinion) to take the job, I’d rather have a fresh start.    But I’d rather have Duquette than somebody who nobody else wants.   

That makes a lot of sense Frobby. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on whether we think we could attract somebody better to Baltimore.   Last time we were rejected by 3-4 GM candidates we targeted.    If I thought we could interview 5 good candidates and get one of the top two (in the team’s opinion) to take the job, I’d rather have a fresh start.    But I’d rather have Duquette than somebody who nobody else wants.   

Like DD ? This will be the last major league gig for DD, nobody wanted him when he got the O's job, no one will want him when he is finally fired after building  one of the top 5 worst rosters in ML history and backing it with a bottom 10 farm system.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some assistant GM from another team will want to do it for  less than 1M.   Now that it has been proven the team can make the playoff with the Angelos as owner.   Stating there is a rebuild takes a lot of the immediate pressure off to win.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Like DD ? This will be the last major league gig for DD, nobody wanted him when he got the O's job, no one will want him when he is finally fired after building  one of the top 5 worst rosters in ML history and backing it with a bottom 10 farm system.

I think you’re probably right that he won’t land another GM job.   But as he undoubtedly had certain constraints in his job here, it wouldn’t shock me if some other teams felt he did a pretty good job here under the circumstances.  

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Duquette will be running some team before New Year's Day.  The question is whether or not it's the Orioles.  I suspect the decision on that will be just as much his as Baltimore's.

46 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Would you bring back DD or rather have a fresh voice from a new GM? 

There are two potential pitfalls with replacing Duquette: the Orioles' possible inability to identify outstanding candidates for the job and the possible unwillingness of those candidates to take the job.

The second problem may have diminished with the passing of the torch (and putting much of the team to that torch). I don't know how prospective GMs would regard working under John and Lou's ownership, but it has to look better than serving as a GM under Peter. On the other hand, the Angeloses would have to convince a new hire that they will run the team differently from the way their father did and that they're going to (and the owners have permitted or will permit them to) hold on to the team for a while.

I wonder about the first, though. Do John and Lou Angelos have the ability or experience to figure out what they 're looking for in a GM? Do they have allies or contacts in or around MLB who will help them identify the kinds of talented, creative talent the Orioles (IMO) should be looking for, and whom specifically they should be pursuing and avoiding? If they try to hire an assistant GM who is under contract with another team, will the other team's owner agree to release that assistant? Would the search have the benefit of Duquette's contacts, or be conducted without his help (even if not behind his back)? I find it hard to be confident that the Angeloses will make a really good choice.

55 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

There are two potential pitfalls with replacing Duquette: the Orioles' possible inability to identify outstanding candidates for the job and the possible unwillingness of those candidates to take the job.

The second problem may have diminished with the passing of the torch (and putting much of the team to that torch). I don't know how prospective GMs would regard working under John and Lou's ownership, but it has to look better than serving as a GM under Peter. On the other hand, the Angeloses would have to convince a new hire that they will run the team differently from the way their father did and that they're going to (and the owners have permitted or will permit them to) hold on to the team for a while.

I wonder about the first, though. Do John and Lou Angelos have the ability or experience to figure out what they 're looking for in a GM? Do they have allies or contacts in or around MLB who will help them identify the kinds of talented, creative talent the Orioles (IMO) should be looking for, and whom specifically they should be pursuing and avoiding? If they try to hire an assistant GM who is under contract with another team, will the other team's owner agree to release that assistant? Would the search have the benefit of Duquette's contacts, or be conducted without his help (even if not behind his back)? I find it hard to be confident that the Angeloses will make a really good choice.

You got some good points. It may be best if they bring back DD. They'd have to remove the restraints that their father put on DD.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Or someone brand new with no experience but exciting innovative ideas! A Lee Mazzilli of GMs as it were. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Or someone brand new with no experience but exciting innovative ideas! A Lee Mazzilli of GMs as it were. 

Do you really mean "with no experience?" I could see a young person who's never been a GM, but I'd definitely want someone who has learned the ropes by spending at least a few years as an assistant in a good organization.

I want someone skilled and impatient; someone who wants to bring watchable Orioles baseball back as soon as possible and has the chops to pull it off.  Someone not named Anderson, but has the negotiated ability to correctly position anyone who is named Anderson in the best possible place for the long-term benefit of the organization.

And then keep him there.

14 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

Did anyone notice that when they showed Dan D during the telecast it really looked like he was sleeping.  It's possible he was reading something of staring at a bug crawling on the floor but if I'm a betting man, he was catching some ZZZZZ's.

It sure looked like it.  

Archived