Hurt or Injured?

weams

I don't think Buck's right on this one.  Sometimes, if you play hurt, that leads to an injury.  I didn't ever really understand what getting injured meant until I was 21 "racing" in a half-marathon run.  I twisted my ankle badly at the 6 mile mark, rolled around on the ground in pain for about 20 seconds but then felt good enough to keep running.  Well, a mile or so later, I twisted it much worse and had to crawl to the aid station.  The ankle swole up to twice its previous size and turned all the colors of the rainbow - I was on crutches for the next 4 months.  

I think using Buck's logic, he would have expected me to keep playing after the first sprain (which I'd gladly do), and I wouldn't have been able to play at my previous level and would have risked a serious injury.  And some guys just can't perform well unless everything's working.  Sometimes, it's got less to do with toughness and grit as it does with talent.

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I don't think Buck's right on this one.  Sometimes, if you play hurt, that leads to an injury.  I didn't ever really understand what getting injured meant until I was 21 "racing" in a half-marathon run.  I twisted my ankle badly at the 6 mile mark, rolled around on the ground in pain for about 20 seconds but then felt good enough to keep running.  Well, a mile or so later, I twisted it much worse and had to crawl to the aid station.  The ankle swole up to twice its previous size and turned all the colors of the rainbow - I was on crutches for the next 4 months.  

I think using Buck's logic, he would have expected me to keep playing after the first sprain (which I'd gladly do), and I wouldn't have been able to play at my previous level and would have risked a serious injury.  And some guys just can't perform well unless everything's working.  Sometimes, it's got less to do with toughness and grit as it does with talent.

I understand Buck's point that players can't sit out for any pain or issue they have - but yeah, I agree with you: if a player's oblique is keeping them from hitting anywhere close to what is normal for them... they should sit out and heal up so they can be effective again.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that they’ve kept Jones in RF the last two days even with Mullins out.   

I think Jones realizes what he has to do in order to extend his career in any meaningful way. It won't do him any good to switch him off a position that he needs to learn to survive in order to play his former position that nobody will pay him to play moving forward.

Archived