Hot in August

Frobby

Mullins .317/.386/.556

Gentry .364/.382/.515

Trumbo .304/.322/.517

Mancini .291/.319/.555

Rickard .286/.310/.500

Ironically, Mancini was the only one of these 5 who was on the 25-man roster the entire month.    He produced 7 homers and 20 RBI to lead the team in both categories.   Trumbo was second in both categories (5 HR 14 RBI) despite playing in only 16 games (14 starts).    Beckham had 5 HR and 13 RBI but only a .635 OPS for the month.   

Also of note, Jonathan Villar stole 8 bases in the month.   You have to go to back to 2013 to find the last time an Oriole did that (Nate McLouth had 8 in April and 9 in May).   In fact, in 2016 no Oriole stole more than 4 bases the entire year, in 2014 no Oriole stole more than 8 all year, and last year the leading total was 9.   Nice to have this element back on the team.

Among the pitchers the highlights were:

Alex Cobb 2.66 ERA in 40.2 innings.

Mychal Givens 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings

David Hess 3.58 ERA in 28.0 innings.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins .317/.386/.556

Gentry .364/.382/.515

Trumbo .304/.322/.517

Mancini .291/.319/.555

Rickard .286/.310/.500

Ironically, Mancini was the only one of these 5 who was on the 25-man roster the entire month.    He produced 7 homers and 20 RBI to lead the team in both categories.   Trumbo was second in both categories (5 HR 14 RBI) despite playing in only 16 games (14 starts).    Beckham had 5 HR and 13 RBI but only a .635 OPS for the month.   

Also of note, Jonathan Villar stole 8 bases in the month.   You have to go to back to 2013 to find the last time an Oriole did that (Nate McLouth had 8 in April and 9 in May).   In fact, in 2016 no Oriole stole more than 4 bases the entire year, in 2014 no Oriole stole more than 8 all year, and last year the leading total was 9.   Nice to have this element back on the team.

Among the pitchers the highlights were:

Alex Cobb 2.66 ERA in 40.2 innings.

Mychal Givens 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings

David Hess 3.58 ERA in 28.0 innings.

Still were 8-20 and the pitchers gave up the most runs of any month this year 

33 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Still were 8-20 and the pitchers gave up the most runs of any month this year 

Just focusing on some positives.   The three pitchers I mentioned are the only ones over 9 innings who had an ERA under 4.76.

45 minutes ago, oriole said:

You know who pitched real well in August?

Kevin Gausman

Why does that matter? He was traded from a team that will lose 100 games this year and possibly a couple of more seasons.

We could beat a dead horse about the return, but it seems as though DD was instructed to shed payroll. It is really simple.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Honestly, as bad as Beckham is defensively and in some at bats...youd have to agree that he's a better replacement for JJ Hardy than Hardy was in the last couple of seasons.Home runs aren't everything...but it doesn't hurt to have some power. He just hit his 10th HR today.... JJ hadn't had a 10 home run year for the last 4 seasons.

Hardy was a solid player in 2016.   Didn’t hit well but played plus defense.   I miss him.   

10 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why does that matter? He was traded from a team that will lose 100 games this year and possibly a couple of more seasons.

We could beat a dead horse about the return, but it seems as though DD was instructed to shed payroll. It is really simple.

It doesn't matter really I was just pointing it out. He left the O's and has since been the pitcher we all hoped for. I think that's interesting, I'm sorry you don't.

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Honestly, as bad as Beckham is defensively and in some at bats...youd have to agree that he's a better replacement for JJ Hardy than Hardy was in the last couple of seasons.Home runs aren't everything...but it doesn't hurt to have some power. He just hit his 10th HR today.... JJ hadn't had a 10 home run year for the last 4 seasons.

I’d much rather have the 2016 version of Hardy than Beckham.    Yeah he didn’t hit a ton of homers but he hit well enough (.269/.309/.407) and was rock-steady in the field (6 errors in 114 games while still showing good range).   But Hardy looked like an old man in 2017.    

Beckham at is best is an average defensive SS who can give you a .700-.750 OPS.  I'm fine with paying his arbitration number for that level of production. 

Beckham at his worst is a poor fielding SS who strikes out a ton and gives you a sub .600 OPS.  

If I knew I was getting the first version, I would happily tender him a contract for 2019.  But I think it's important to have a reliable defensive SS to help anchor the defense for our young pitching and I'm not sure Beckham is that. 

13 hours ago, oriole said:

You know who pitched real well in August?

Kevin Gausman

13 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Why does that matter?

Like you said, it doesn't matter.  We're going to be bad during all of Gausman's remaining arbitration / team control years.  We've simply traded away having to pay him during that time in exchange for what will likely be something like having a 96 loss season instead of a 94 loss season the next couple of years. 

In the big picture, it means nothing, and we save back extra funds to apply elsewhere later, when it has meaning.

Archived