Managers available

weams

I think Buck is done. He’s been content with just trotting our Davis, Gentry, Joseph to finish our true year. Last year we saw Hays and Sisco play a bunch in September. This year it’s only been Mullins. There hasn’t been much of Wynns/Sisco. There has been no Hays, Mountcastle, or even Stewart this year. 

If he was coming back wouldn’t he want to get a look at some of these guys in MLB action?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

BJ Surhoff would be the perfect manager, IMO. I would love to see him manage. Former catcher. Very smart. Great Oriole. Loves Baltimore. 

Guys like Surhoff and Thome would be my target.

Brach has a 0.54 ERA with the Braves after being so putrid for us this year we gave him away. That's more of an indictment of Buck and Roger than Gausman imo.

11 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Brach has a 0.54 ERA with the Braves after being so putrid for us this year we gave him away. That's more of an indictment of Buck and Roger than Gausman imo.

I wish we had a top pitcher like Palmer.  He famously told Weaver the only thing he knew about pitching was that he couldn't hit it.  I feel the same is true of Buck.  There have been too many examples of pitchers that have drastically improved after leaving the O's, often immediately.

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wish we had a top pitcher like Palmer.  He famously told Weaver the only thing he knew about pitching was that he couldn't hit it.  I feel the same is true of Buck.  There have been too many examples of pitchers that have drastically improved after leaving the O's, often immediately.

Bob Gibson: "What are you (Catcher Tim McCarver, after being sent to the mound by Manager Johnny Keane) doing here? Just give me the ball. The only thing you know about pitching is that it is hard to hit." Source: Bob Costas Interview http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/bob_gibson_quotes.shtml

Just now, El Gordo said:

Bob Gibson: "What are you (Catcher Tim McCarver, after being sent to the mound by Manager Johnny Keane) doing here? Just give me the ball. The only thing you know about pitching is that it is hard to hit." Source: Bob Costas Interview http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/bob_gibson_quotes.shtml

I always thought it was Palmer's quote.  I guess he borrowed it from Gibson.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Buck is done. He’s been content with just trotting our Davis, Gentry, Joseph to finish our true year. Last year we saw Hays and Sisco play a bunch in September. This year it’s only been Mullins. There hasn’t been much of Wynns/Sisco. There has been no Hays, Mountcastle, or even Stewart this year. 

If he was coming back wouldn’t he want to get a look at some of these guys in MLB action?

I would think so.

5 hours ago, Finisher said:

Thome would be my choice, I have no idea why the pitchers suck then get with another team and then improve. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays is hurt.  Mountcastle does not need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  They can use that spot for someone else.  Stewart did not hit for that last two months at Norfolk.

The O's have promoted Mullins, Nunez, Valera, Ortiz, Rogers,  Hess, Carroll, Ramirez,  Fry, Yacabonis and Philips.

14 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Let it be known that I've no issue with Buck returning - he's certainly earned every right to make that call - but failing that, I'd be very interested in learning Mike Bordick's vision for this franchise. 

The deciding factor on Buck may be how much he wants to be paid.  3.5m to lose 100 games seems pretty steep.   Bordick? Really?

Buck should stay! If the players below would of performed the way they were supposed to, the O's would of been at least a .500 team. 

Davis, Mancini, Beckham, Bundy, Cobb ( 1st half), Givens , Brach and Schrop when they were here ,plus throw in Britton and Bleier being hurt didn't help.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays was hurt for awhile and has been a dud between Aberdeen and Bowie (.235/.266/.410 - .676 OPS). Mountcastle can't defend worth a damn. And DJ Stewart has been a dud this year (.235/.329/.387 - .716 OPS).

Gentry was cut. I'd imagine Duquette was playing him to see if he could find somebody to grab him. That doesn't appear to be a Buck decision.

Sisco needs work. And he's not exactly tearing it up in AAA: .242/.344/.352 - .696 OPS and didn't handle the bat well at the major league level, anyways.

Give a manager some weapons or they're going to look inept. 

I'd say my only trepidation so far is platooning Mullins. But...who's decision was it to acquire Andreoli? Not Buck. 

1 hour ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Let it be known that I've no issue with Buck returning - he's certainly earned every right to make that call - but failing that, I'd be very interested in learning Mike Bordick's vision for this franchise. 

2 Things.  First welcome aboard.  Second, I love Buck and what he was to the good teams and even more what he was when he got here.  But how, has Buck earned the right to make that call?  He is under .500 for his tenure here.  Last year the Yankees and the Redsox went to the playoffs and they BOTH fired their managers.  The Orioles went 4-19 to crater last year and have lost 99 games get back to the same point on the calendar.  There is really no circumstance where you lose 118 games in 162, and think you dont make a change.

Add to that Buck has had more input than most managers as to roster....and I just dont see him back.  And I don't see a GM saying yes to the job if he can't pick his own manager.  But until we see how things are structured going forward I really just don't know.  

Again, welcome.  Hope you enjoy.

Edit to add:  Bordy? ;) 

Archived