Managers available

weams

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Why do you think Thome would be good at managing a team, and specifically this team? Great player, seems like a very fine guy, but what makes him an outstanding prospect as manager?

Just seems to be kind of former player that could help this team. I can't tell you exactly why I believe he could be a good manager.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

These are funny points:

1. I agree.  Since last September, what are they, 48-120?  That is so bad it is laughable.  Nobody should be able to keep a job with that kind of a stretch.

2. I really do wonder about this.  I don't follow other teams' top pitching prospects but it is either really bad luck or we just don't have people who are as good as what other teams have.

3. The hitting and pitching coaches are lucky that they even get salaries.  Seriously....what value have they added?  Who has gotten better this year as a result of their advice and wisdom?

4. They grow the arms....for other teams to benefit from.  The key for other GMs is to get to the Orioles pitcher early enough in his career to overwrite the bad advice and psychological damage done by pitching for the Orioles. 

5. None.  But the Giants won the 2014 World Series because of one player. 

6. Different eras, but I agree in principle.

7. I hope it doesn't take 10 years.  I would love a Houston type rebuild.  Interesting with Houston though because they gave up on JD Martinez.  Obviously a massive mistake that a championship trophy forever absolves them of, but wow he has turned into a hell of a player.  Might win the Triple Crown this year. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if JD is a key reason the Sox beat the Stros in a playoff series!

45 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if JD is a key reason the Sox beat the Stros in a playoff series!

It used to be that the Orioles were the only team that couldn't get him out but now nobody can.  He has been unbelievable this year.  He has had an Ortiz-like effect on that lineup, as he has made everyone better. 

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

It used to be that the Orioles were the only team that couldn't get him out but now nobody can.  He has been unbelievable this year.  He has had an Ortiz-like effect on that lineup, as he has made everyone better. 

Are you trying to say that JD is on steroids?

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You you trying to say that JD is on steroids?

HA!  Actually no I wasn't even thinking that....about JD I mean.  Ortiz' career statistical patterns have always been very interesting.....especially his sudden power surge upon coming to Boston and his outstanding 2016 retirement season, his best in close to a decade.  Although there really isn't anything suspicious about the extremely productive last few years of his career, as athletes always get much better as they get close to 40.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:57 AM, Finisher said:

Guys like Surhoff and Thome would be my target.

Brach has a 0.54 ERA with the Braves after being so putrid for us this year we gave him away. That's more of an indictment of Buck and Roger than Gausman imo.

Hadn't thought of Thome for us lately, but good call. Seems like the perfect personality type. 

Thome is an OK baseball family man diplomat. But I've never seen anything that would make me believe he's a good tactician or judge of talent. There's a reason there's no general correlation between being a star player and good manager or coach.

If we're replacing Buck, then I'd rather go younger. Ron Johnson is 61. I really want Jim Thome here. Not sure the White Sox allow It, but Thome would bring a different approach. He could maybe teach these young guys discipline and how to approach AB.

No way do I want to look at Gibbons 162 games a year. The 19 times I watch him stumble to the mound as the Blue Jays manager is too much.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Thome is an OK baseball family man diplomat. But I've never seen anything that would make me believe he's a good tactician or judge of talent. There's a reason there's no general correlation between being a star player and good manager or coach.

What convinced people about Alex Cora or any other former player? Thome was an Oriole way type player, played the right way, was a leader, and has worked 4+ years in the White Sox front office. They seem to love him.

I’d rather hire a young GM though and let him figure it out.

30 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

What convinced people about Alex Cora or any other former player? Thome was an Oriole way type player, played the right way, was a leader, and has worked 4+ years in the White Sox front office. They seem to love him.

I’d rather hire a young GM though and let him figure it out.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what was so "Oriole Way" about Thome? Every former player that's succeeded as an Oriole manager had something very clearly distinctive about them, ranging from many years coaching and managing in the minors to being pioneers in the use of stats to being a good defensive catcher. I just don't see what Thome brings aside from being gracious.

Archived