Managers available

weams

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Manager doesn't matter, IMO, until you've got the horses.  And right now, we ain't got the horses.  Probably won't for a few years.

Pass on Gibbons, anyway.

I agree on passing on Gibbons, but disagree with your premise that managers don't matter "until you've go the horses." I think managers are just as important in a rebuild, but for different reasons. I think you need a development guy in the manager role. You need someone who will give the young guys the ABs and innings they need over the veterans at times. And someone that can help the players grow.

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I agree on passing on Gibbons, but disagree with your premise that managers don't matter "until you've go the horses." I think managers are just as important in a rebuild, but for different reasons. I think you need a development guy in the manager role. You need someone who will give the young guys the ABs and innings they need over the veterans at times. And someone that can help the players grow.

In other words not Buck Showalter. 

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I can give young guys at bats.  I can give young guys at bats all day.  Just let me fill out a lineup card.  

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

and throw the youngsters out too much and in bad spots, and bury their confidence.

Its a fine line they have to work at times.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In other words not Buck Showalter. 

I’m not in favor of retaining Buck, but I think this is unfair considering that Buck took over four losing teams and developed them into winners, including a team that was literally starting from scratch.   Buck is certainly capable of managing and developing a rebuilding club.    But I don’t think this is the right situation for him.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not in favor of retaining Buck, but I think this is unfair considering that Buck took over four losing teams and developed them into winners, including a team that was literally starting from scratch.   Buck is certainly capable of managing and developing a rebuilding club.    But I don’t think this is the right situation for him.

Pretty sure the Diamondbacks were a .500 team when Buck took over.  ?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good Post, and I agree with you, mostly.

But, for me, it depends on whom they bring in, this wasn't one of the best manager spot, when vacant, and until Buck showed up, we have a variety of manager after Davey that just couldn't get the job done.

I think in OH, Buck gets way too much blame, and in some cases, too much credit.

Archived