Predict the 25-Man Roster for Opening Day (2019)

Greg Pappas

C Joseph or FA

1B Davis 

2B Villar

SS  FA

3B Nunez

LF Mancini

CF Mullins

RF Stewart or Vet FA

DH Trumbo

Bench 

Wynns

Wilkerson- maybe Valera

Rickard

Peterson if no FA OF or Stewart if a vet OF is signed  

I think Sisco will start in minors, he is a tough call. Things would be much easier to just give Stewart a job if Davis is gone  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

C Joseph or FA

1B Davis 

2B Villar

SS  FA

3B Nunez

LF Mancini

CF Mullins

RF Stewart or Vet FA

DH Trumbo

Bench 

Wynns

Wilkerson- maybe Valera

Rickard

Peterson if no FA OF or Stewart if a vet OF is signed  

I think Sisco will start in minors, he is a tough call. Things would be much easier to just give Stewart a job if Davis is gone  

Doesn't make much sense to me to go FA for any C,, IF or OF spots.  Rather pick up a back end RP.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

They will probably go with 13 pitchers next season, which leaves only a 3-man bench. If he is unproductive and blocking anyone, regardless of position, you have to get rid of him. 

I would rather a 12 man staff. Keep Peterson and then send down a Wilkerson until you settle down pitching. Then can bring up Valera when your pitching resets and vice versa.  

15 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Doesn't make much sense to me to go FA for any C,, IF or OF spots.  Rather pick up a back end RP.

Talking someone along lines of Joseph. Nothing major, same for RF. Better version of Rasmus.

I think it makes sense to spend a little on SS. Igesias ? 

And a bounceback SP.  

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Talking someone along lines of Joseph. Nothing major, same for RF. Better version of Rasmus.

I think it makes sense to spend a little on SS. Igesias ? 

And a bounceback SP.  

I'd rather bring up some of our MiL OF prospects before getting a FA. Why get someone along the lines of Caleb when you already have him. Spend money on Scouting Player Development and International FA. SS is fine for now between Villar and Beckham. 

Just now, El Gordo said:

I'd rather bring up some of our MiL OF prospects before getting a FA. Why get someone along the lines of Caleb when you already have him. Spend money on Scouting Player Development and International FA. SS is fine for now between Villar and Beckham. 

I am fine with Caleb back. Just thoughy they may go in another direction.  

My issue with Villar is what about 2nd? I don’t think Wilkerson is an everyday player. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

This version of Caleb is probably paid $1.5M if he is tendered a contract. If he is non-tendered and brought back for closer to the minimum, then sure.

Why quibble over 1M? And what FA C are you getting better for less than 1.5M?

5 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Is Mancini being blocked now? CD can be a situational bench guy until somebody really needs his spot, or he retires. Name a team that ate 104 M?

No, as I said Mancini isn’t blocked. But if the Os are playing him in LF, he most certainly is blocking someone. 

As for the team that ate $104M. Well no one has ever done that. But no one has ever paid that for the worst performance in history either. They can wait a year or whatever, but his own comments suggest along with his performance that he is simply done. The value is what it is...

What situation exactly would Chris Davis provide value in from the bench. If it’s not pitching in games where the O’s are already blown out, I just don’t see it. 

I’d love to be wrong here Gordo. But it says here that the Orioles are pretty much eating that contract no matter what. If they or you want to feel better by keeping him on the roster and hoping he is useful, well who am I to argue. It’s not my money. 

I just seems to me we have some up and coming talent in the outfield and getting those guys to play is more important than playing Mancini or Trumbo in the outfield. Keeping Davis guarantees at least one of them joins Davis in the field. And that does block someone. 

I wish it weren’t so Gordo!

19 minutes ago, foxfield said:

No, as I said Mancini isn’t blocked. But if the Os are playing him in LF, he most certainly is blocking someone. 

As for the team that ate $104M. Well no one has ever done that. But no one has ever paid that for the worst performance in history either. They can wait a year or whatever, but his own comments suggest along with his performance that he is simply done. The value is what it is...

What situation exactly would Chris Davis provide value in from the bench. If it’s not pitching in games where the O’s are already blown out, I just don’t see it. 

I’d love to be wrong here Gordo. But it says here that the Orioles are pretty much eating that contract no matter what. If they or you want to feel better by keeping him on the roster and hoping he is useful, well who am I to argue. It’s not my money. 

I just seems to me we have some up and coming talent in the outfield and getting those guys to play is more important than playing Mancini or Trumbo in the outfield. Keeping Davis guarantees at least one of them joins Davis in the field. And that does block someone. 

I wish it weren’t so Gordo!

I would wait at least another year before I ate the money. Given CD's comments I think there's a strong possibility if he is played sparingly as he has been recently he will retire or reach some sort of settlement. If there is a chance of saving some of that money what's the hurry? He hasn't been keeping Mancini off 1B much lately and Stewart has had a lot of time in the OF.. Nd who know's maybe he'll finally make adjustments and become somewhat productive. Again what's the urgency.

I dont post as often as I would usually like, but I have been thinking about this a lot throughout the season and some things below might seem like jokes, but these are serious.

First, I believe the new Manager of the Baltimore Orioles will be Mark DeRosa. He interviewed for several positions last year, and I think this would go with recent trends. I don't know names for certain, but I also wouldnt be surprised to see him bring in some MLB Network analysts as hitting, pitching, bullpen coaches, etc.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see the continued effort in bringing in more former Orioles as they have already with Brooks and Eddie. I think somehow in some role, Brian Roberts, and/or someone similar have a part in the new managerial staff.

C- Caleb Joseph and Austin Wynns (poor Sisco still starts out in Norfolk

1B/DH- Trey Mancini and Chris Davis. Whenever one is playing one, the other will play and vice versa.

2B-Jonathan Villar

SS- Jose Iglesias as a FA signing

3B-Ryan Mountcastle

LF-DJ Stewart

CF-Cedric Mullins

RF- Austin Hays

Bench-Wilkerson, Michael Taylor (Cashner Trade player), Joseph/Wynns, and Nunez.

SP: Alex Cobb

SP: Dylan Bundy

SP: Miguel Gonzalez on a 1 yr deal

SP: David Hess

SP: Luis Ortiz

RP-Jimmy Yacabonis

RP-Pedro Araujo

RP-Richard Bleier

RP-Tanner Scott

RP- Miguel Castro

SU-Paul Fry

CL- Mychal Givens

I think we trade Cashner and Trumbo for random prospects in the Minors. I think Cashner goes back to the NL (Nationals my guess, even through the MASN mess) and Trumbo back to Seatle as Cruz wont be someone they resign.

I think we struggle again in 2019, winning 55-60 games. And then start to see a change with upcoming prospects, with more trades occurring to allow the new future birds to opportunity to grow and have more.playong time. We have a surplus of OF, so dont be surprised if one gets traded for a needed position for growth. 2020 will be 65-70 games won with more home grown starters as an option and also players like Diaz yo take over OF from someone. 2021 (DeRosa last yr on contract will be when we start heading towards .500 and see if he's renewed with an extension

8 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I would wait at least another year before I ate the money. Given CD's comments I think there's a strong possibility if he is played sparingly as he has been recently he will retire or reach some sort of settlement. If there is a chance of saving some of that money what's the hurry? He hasn't been keeping Mancini off 1B much lately and Stewart has had a lot of time in the OF.. Nd who know's maybe he'll finally make adjustments and become somewhat productive. Again what's the urgency.

I hope you are right....

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Why quibble over 1M? And what FA C are you getting better for less than 1.5M?

Not sure the context of it or not but Tom Davis brought up Maldonado yesterday after the game on radio. 

He did say that Iglesias, Hechavarria and Galveston were some names he heard talked about. He sounded like he heard some buzz about them but once again not sure of the context.  

Archived