BR: O's farm system 18th; list of 10 prospects

wildcard

7 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

What important about depth? A lot of possible 4th OFs and long relief arms? 

I believe stronger overall talent pushes our B/C prospects to be better and improves the likelihood that they reach their potential and develop into something more than AAAA guys.  When we add the better pieces, the competitive atmosphere in our system should push those guys too.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

The lack of commitment to the minors is my biggest beef with mgmt. How in the hell are you going to compete year after year with the yanks and sox if you're not developing a significant number of players into major leaguers? I cannot fathom what the thinking was.

Angelos is 80 something years old and wanted a shot at winning while he could enjoy it. I'm not saying I agree with the premise, but if you're told by your employer to win at all costs that's what you do.

15 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

The lack of commitment to the minors is my biggest beef with mgmt. How in the hell are you going to compete year after year with the yanks and sox if you're not developing a significant number of players into major leaguers? I cannot fathom what the thinking was.

I think given the poor health of Pete, he made the decision over the last few years to push all their money into the center of the table with the 25 man roster and hope for the best.  Pete was desperate for a world series.  Turns out he had a pair of 2's and lost big.  If the boss says do this, you have to do it. 

I don't like where the team is and I bet the sons don't like it either, but I understand the motivation behind the decision, not saying I agree with it.  Unfortunately, old sickly people make decisions for the now and not long term (dealing with this with my father-in-law right now, shake my head at the decisions he makes). 

The result is they are looking at a massive rebuild that is going to take 4 to 5 years if they are mostly right in their decision making.  Good luck with that. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think it's premature to call Hall a star?  Bundy  was in the majors at this stage of his development and he didn't become a star.

Even if they sign VVM their is no guarantee he hits at the ML level.

It's premature to call any of these guys stars.

I believe he was referring to top-end potential as a prospect (legit upside to be more than a solid-to-above-average regular).

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's pretty ridiculous if after trading Manny, Schoop, Britton and Gausman they can't even end up in the top half of farm systems.

My gut reaction agrees with you. But Gausman and Schoop haven't been consistent over their careers and were not having good years this year. Britton was a good deal but we got lucky and played opportunists with the Yankees trying to cash in on Tate before having to protect him. I feel like Manny could have gotten more and that deal was unimpressive but I don't know what other teams were dealing. Overall, I think the O's did as well as they could do and the fact that they're still in the bottom half of rankings is more of a recognition of how bad it was before the deals even took place.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I’m curious what the ranking of minor league systems would look like if you looked only at players who were not signed by their current organization as international free agents. Has anyone done that? 

Obviously the Orioles would move up, but I have no idea how far. 

I’m sure that would be quite different.   But what would be the point of that exercise?

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I believe stronger overall talent pushes our B/C prospects to be better and improves the likelihood that they reach their potential and develop into something more than AAAA guys.  When we add the better pieces, the competitive atmosphere in our system should push those guys too.

Schoop was better because of Manny in my opinion. 

Should move up the rankings after the #1 draft pick and hopefully VVM. Givens, Belier, Villar are a few (actually valuable) trade chips that should be gone in 2019 that will bolster minor league depth. People may be disappointing at a ranking of 18 after the fire-sale, but keep in mind that outside of Machado, none of the chips we traded were stars. They were all seriously flawed. Which is why you didn't see "stars" coming back to Baltimore.

I like the starting pitcher depth. Although it's probably still not great I think it's strides ahead what we've had in the past. If only we can develop them....

Frederick: Hall (1st rd), Hanifee (4th rd), Baumann (3rd rd), Bishop

Bowie: Kremer (minor league leader in strikeouts), Lowther (CBB), Wells (minor league pitcher of the year in 2017)

Norfolk: Tate (1st rd), Ortiz (1st rd), Akin (2nd rd)

wild cards like Harvey (1st rd) and Sedlock (1st rd)

Lower level guys like Gray-Rod (1st rd) and Knight (4th rd)

52 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Should move up the rankings after the #1 draft pick and hopefully VVM. Givens, Belier, Villar are a few (actually valuable) trade chips that should be gone in 2019 that will bolster minor league depth. People may be disappointing at a ranking of 18 after the fire-sale, but keep in mind that outside of Machado, none of the chips we traded were stars. They were all seriously flawed. Which is why you didn't see "stars" coming back to Baltimore.

I like the starting pitcher depth. Although it's probably still not great I think it's strides ahead what we've had in the past. If only we can develop them....

Frederick: Hall (1st rd), Hanifee (4th rd), Baumann (3rd rd), Bishop

Bowie: Kremer (minor league leader in strikeouts), Lowther (CBB), Wells (minor league pitcher of the year in 2017)

Norfolk: Tate (1st rd), Ortiz (1st rd), Akin (2nd rd)

wild cards like Harvey (1st rd) and Sedlock (1st rd)

Lower level guys like Gray-Rod (1st rd) and Knight (4th rd)

Gausman is a star.  Just ask any one from the Braves and they will confirm it for you.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gausman is a star.  Just ask any one from the Braves and they will confirm it for you.

Have you spoken to them?

Honestly, I don’t care what their opinion is now.   Ask them a year from now.   Then I’ll care what they think.   

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He's literally the same guy he was here.  If getting him to Atlanta brightens things for him, be happy for him.  As to all the massive pieces we failed to get from the Atlanta vault.  I know you do not really think Atlanta had any of their top 5 guys on the table and we said, um no uh could you just take this injured pitcher and his two years?  Oh and could we have a chunk of that international money since you cant spend it?  I dont.  I do wish we had gotten more and dumped salary later, but that wasn't my call.  I'm not even disagreeing with you really, but you consistently seem to argue that the only thing keeping Gausman from being an honest to goodness ace here was our poor defense and inability to score.

Archived