Instructional League Begins

weams

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What do you think they do with Curran?   Injuries kind of screwed up his season but I think he did enough to earn a promotion to Frederick.     But he and Escarra can’t both play 1B, which may be a reason Escarra is playing LF in instructs.  

Seamus projects as a DH anyway right?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seamus projects as a DH anyway right?

I’d hate to concede that at age 20 (21 a couple weeks ago), even though he’s not regarded as an athletic guy.    I’d still want him getting plenty of reps at 1B.   He did DH about 30% of the time this year.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What do you think they do with Curran?   Injuries kind of screwed up his season but I think he did enough to earn a promotion to Frederick.     But he and Escarra can’t both play 1B, which may be a reason Escarra is playing LF in instructs.  

I agree with COC that Curran probably won't ever be average with the glove at 1B. Escarra doesn't have the type of impact power I think you want in a 1B, so I'd imagine Escarra playing in the OF and 1B when Curran is at DH or having a day off. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Could he play it at the Núñez level?

I have no idea, I've seen him flash the glove at first, he's got a quick first step, but the ball comes at you differently. I haven't seen him throw much, but after hearing his arm looked good in the OF, I think it'd be worth a look. 

52 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I have no idea, I've seen him flash the glove at first, he's got a quick first step, but the ball comes at you differently. I haven't seen him throw much, but after hearing his arm looked good in the OF, I think it'd be worth a look. 

I believe he played some 3B at FIU, and a little catcher too. Never seen him, and not saying it was pretty. But it would not be foreign to him if my memory is correct. 

Just now, Jammer7 said:

I believe he played some 3B at FIU, and a little catcher too. Never seen him, and not saying it was pretty. But it would not be foreign to him if my memory is correct. 

Doesn't surprise me, he seems too athletic to have not been tried elsewhere besides 1B.

• 3 months later...

Wow, very harsh post reputation in this thread. I’m gonna tell my therapist we can forget about mom for awhile, we’ve got more pressing matters to address. :(

https://www.prospectslive.com/from-the-field/2018/10/1/emptying-the-notebook-fl-instructs

Baltimore Orioles

2B/SS Adam Hall- Solid defender with good first-step quickness, but looks like more of a 2B than a SS. Made nice play to his right with Jeter-esq jump throw to second for a force out. Upright stance and stays upright through swing. Mostly hands and little lower half. Linear bat path. Will take outside pitches to opposite field. VIDEO

RHP Gray Fenter – Sturdy frame, big chest. High slot nears over the top. FB 93-94 with plane from high slot. Should generate lots of ground balls. Very predictable mix: went to FB an inordinate amount of the time despite quality CB 77-79 with tight spin. Reserved CB for two strike counts. VIDEO

RHP Hector Guance –  Thick build. Easy velo from low three quarters slot. Works at deliberate pace. FB 92-94 with run and sink. Slider 84-85 plays well off FB with big tilt; plus pitch. One of the better pitchers in Baltimore’s camp. VIDEO

3B Jean Carlos Encanacion – Good athlete. Strong arm at third, should be able to stay there. Wide base stance. Center of mass stays on back foot. Quality bat speed. Big hole down and away. Pitch recognition vs spin is questionable. VIDEO

2B/3B Jean Carmona – Advanced for his age. Aggressive early in counts. No issues catching up to premium velocity. Plus bat speed. Creates torque with hip rotation. Does not look overmatched vs older competition. Good hands on poor warmup throw to second. Nice feed to Grenier on 4.6.3. DP. VIDEO

RHP Tim Naughton – Fast arm. Very short arm action; shot puts it. Ball jumps out of hand, but extension is below average. FB 93-96 some life on FB. Average slider 83. Some effort in the delivery. Pen arm.

RF Zach Jarrett – Tall, muscular. Looks like a tight end. Mashes fastballs including one for a homer off Yoendrys Gomez. Short stride, brute strength is enough for substantial power.  Below average OF range, but makes diving plays on the periphery of range. Heavy feet. VIDEO

https://www.prospectslive.com/from-the-field/2018/9/22/live-looks-baltimore-orioles-instructs-92218

Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, 18 years old

2018 1st round pick. Prototypical pitcher’s body. Listed 6’5” 230 pounds. Max. body projection. Looks bigger than listed size. Brings a physicallity to the mound. Easy delivery with smooth actions. Good lower half utilization. FB velo 90-94. Elevates FB for swing-and-miss offering. Punched out 2 of 6 hitters faced on high FBs. SL 83-84 with glove side run, acts like a cutter, inconsistent tilt, consistently missed spots with it in this look. CH firm. CV is a tight-spinning hammer at 75-76. Throws with confidence. Looks like a future beast.

Hector Guance, RHP, 23 years old Video

Signed October 16, 2013. Large, high-waisted frame. Physical presence at 6’6” 230 lbs. Low 3/4 slot with cross body delivery adds to deception. Well balanced delivery. Stays in line with home. Keeps head still. FB 93-94 - straight. CV 79-82 with inconsistent shape. SL 85-86 with tilt. Fringey off-speed.

Gray Fenter, RHP, 22 years old Video

2015 7th round pick. Sturdy frame w/ a high waist. Keeps front shoulder closed on delivery which adds some deception. Delivery has effort. Downhill thrower. Hgh 3/4 slot, arm follows the body. FB 91-93. SL 85-86. CH 83. Fringey off-speed offerings. Attacks hitters.

Zach Matson, LHP, 22 years old

2016 24th round pick. Large frame. 6’3” 230 lbs. No body projection. Delivery is easy, repeatable, throwing from high 3/4 slot. FB 87-88 with run. T 90. CH 81-83. CV 77 - tight spin with 12-6 action.

T.J. Nichting, CF, 23 years old

Smaller frame with maxed out projection. Switch-hitter, profiles as a lead-off guy. Will attempt bunts for base-hits but unable to execute today. Linear swing, slap hitter, with minimal power projection. Possibly 20 grade. Doesn’t utilize lower half in swing. Plus range in CF. Good reads off bat. Made over-the-shoulder catch on the warning track.

Rylan Bannon, 2B, 22 years old Video

2017 8th round pick - LA. Acquired in Machado trade. Small frame but strong. Brings some physicality to the plate. Polished hitter, shows good patience, has a plan. Wide open stance. Big swings early in the count. 4.44 run times. Quicker than home-to-first times indicate but speed is still below average. Quick first step on defense, good reads off the bat, plus range at 2B. Fringe arm. Made two diving stops to both sides, covering a lot of ground.

Zach Jarrett, RF, 23 years old

2017 28th round pick. XL frame. Strong, physical hitter. Neutral stance. Aggressive, pull approach. Below average runner. Below average reads off the bat. Made two diving catches that an average defender would not have needs to dive for.

Juan Escarra, LF, 23 years old

2017 15th round pick. Strong, athletic build. Physical presence. Good feel for the barrel. Balanced swing with loft. Keeps hands in a good position to do damage. Strong arm in LF. Accurate throws.

Jean Carlos Encarnacion, 3B, 20 years old

Signed May 10, 2016 by ATL - acquired in Gausman trade. Athletic build with projection. Quick-twitch athlete. Has made adjustments to stance since last look on 7/24/18 with ATL. Now hands are further away from the body with the bat vertical during set-up. Showed improved ability to stay back on pitches and not lunge to front foot. Still has trouble picking up spin and the swing can still get long at times. 4.28 home-to-first. Tooled up, athletic player. Still very raw.

Cadyn Grenier, SS, 21 years old Video

2018 CBA draft pick. Strong, athletic build. Closed stance, hands at shoulder height. Minimal stride. No lower half in swing. Patient hitter. Drew two walks on the afternoon but did swing through a 91 mph FB on a 3-1 count. Flashed above-average range to his right, making diving stop in hole, but airmaled the throw. Probably 2B long-term based on build, athleticism, and arm.

Cody Roberts, C, 22 years old

2018 11th round pick. Strong, athletic frame. Neutral stance with hands high. Has trouble with spin. Passive actions. Flinches on CV/SL. Hunts FBs but even then doesn’t swing with intent. Double-plus throwing arm. Athlete behind the dish.

Alexis Torres, DH, 20 years old

2016 5th round pick. Small frame with minimal projection. Lacks present strength. Has trouble with spin, pitchers attacked with off-speed all day. Handsy swing with minimal lower half.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So, about that Instructional League...

During the holidays nobody in my family is permitted to talk politics or instructional league baseball. Brian Roberts is off limits every day but flag day, on flag day the only rule is, there are no rules. Well, that and bring your own lunchables. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

It's been over right?

Yeah, and I wish we’d heard more about it.   Oh well, only four weeks until pitchers and catchers report, so there’s that.    And hearing from the new brass at Fanfest will be interesting, though unfortunately I can’t attend and will have to rely on your tweets and whatever Roch reports.   

Archived