Orioles hire Doug Witt and Rich Amaral as pro scouts

MurphDogg

18 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm not sure to what degree, but this is a worrisome situation to me. Hiring scouts before either hiring a new GM or extending DD is such an Orioles thing to do.  DD himself has said he has not been told anything in regards to an extension. 

Perhaps he’s being disingenuous about that.    But also, perhaps you have to be opportunistic when a scout you think is good becomes available.    Duquette is the GM until someone says he isn’t.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps he’s being disingenuous about that.    But also, perhaps you have to be opportunistic when a scout you think is good becomes available.    Duquette is the GM until someone says he isn’t.

If DD made the hire, I'm fine with this. However, if DD did not, that is worrisome.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes you are right. He is. But with only 5 games left to go in the season then Angelos Sons know who the GM will be. They know by now what to do with Buck and Brady. It's also time to let us fans know. 

2 hours ago, Spider44 said:

As some have suggested, Rich Amaral was hired by Brady. I know this for a fact. 

Do you have any other inside info you can share with us?  Such as what’s going to happen with the GM & manager situation when the season ends?

On 9/25/2018 at 4:17 AM, foxfield said:

The interesting thing here is not just Witt, Rich Amaral is a former Oriole and former teammate of...that’s right...Brady Anderson. 

Glad we are increasing scouts, but can't this organization ever let GM hire their own people?

Oh jeez. Amaral is a guy that didn’t get to the big leagues until he was 30. The guy stuck with it and grinded out a respectable career until he was 38. I think he’s knows baseball. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Oh jeez. Amaral is a guy that didn’t get to the big leagues until he was 30. The guy stuck with it and grinded out a respectable career until he was 38. I think he’s knows baseball. 

That is fair and I know several scouts although none of the Orioles scouts. And I did not in any way mean to knock Amaral. 

But this organization has proven itself to be screwy and until we name a GM and demonstrate that said GM is fully in charge, folks here and elsewhere will have doubts, even if at times they seem to involve tin foil. 

I wish I hadn’t raised the issue, but I wish I didn’t think about stuff like that too. Again fair point. 

18 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Perhaps this hire was by none of the above.  Patrick DiGregory is the Director of Pro Scouting.  I suggest it was his hire.

It's an interesting point, but does the DoPS have hiring authority?  I guess the answer might be "it depends on the organization."  If DiGregory went to DD, Brady, etc., and said that he wanted to hire the guys, than that seems fine.  But my guess is someone had to sign off.

Archived