Is it safe to say that the Orioles will win more games in 2019?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likely to win more games next year. The question for fans is: Will they win sufficiently more games and will the team have some interesting players to watch? If Davis is regularly in the lineup, then the inference is that Orioles' management doesn't care if I watch or don't watch.

115 losses is tied for the 5th most in major league baseball history.  That is a lot of teams across a lot of years, so I think it is very unlikely that they will lose that many again.  No professional baseball team should ever be that awful.  Not coming to the ballpark completely defeated would be a good start, and so I agree with many others who feel that a change in leadership and attitude would help a lot. 

The O's are not finished tearing the team down yet.   Cobb, Cashner, Givens, Trumbo, Villar, Bleier and even Bundy could go in the next year.    So the priority is not really winning at this point.   Its limiting payroll and getting rid of anyone who will not be with the team when they are ready to win again.

I think the team will try to win.  But they probably will be worse than any of the teams in their division.   That is 68 games and they will be luck to win 1/3 of them. That would be 23 wins.  Of the other teams I think its safe to say they will be worse than half of those 94 games.   Let say they win 1/3 of that half.   That is 16 wins.   The other half they play .500 against. That is 24 games.  So in total that is 63 wins.   I think that is about what to expect. 

I feel like before the trades, the team significantly underperformed it’s true talent.    But after the trades, there was very little mature talent left on the team.   It’s a pretty sad indictment that we traded away Manny, Britton, Brach, Schoop and Gausman and yet suffered essentially no deterioration in team performance.    

I’m guessing we do a little better in 2019, but not drastically — still a sub-60 wIn season.    

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

The O's were HISTORICALLY bad this year.  Really historic.  There are only a few teams in MLB history that have won 47 games or fewer in a season. 

I don't expect us to be that bad again in 2019.  I also am not really interested in debating the merits of a 60 vs a 70 win team however.    Losing teams are losing teams and I'm interested in becoming a winning team again asap.   The rest is kinda just noise to me.

Nice post and well said.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is really hard to lose 115 games.  This years team was bad, but they were also unlucky.  Odds are very good that next year's team is somewhere in the 105 loss range.

So you see 17 WAR in next years team.  Where do you see that coming from?

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are saying Davis' presence in the locker room is what caused the collapse?

I think it's possible that seeing Davis out there nearly every day sent a message to the team that management didn't value performance on the field.

And that once they were reasonably out of contention -- which came earlier this year than all but one year in franchise history -- it's very possible that human nature kicked in and SOME players felt like trying your hardest to help the team win was a chump's game.   When management clearly doesn't care enough to bench the worst player in baseball history, why should I care about winning.   At best I'll go out there and try to put up the best personal stats I can.   But caring about doing the little things to help a team win?   Why?   The manager doesn't.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I think it's possible that seeing Davis out there nearly every day sent a message to the team that management didn't value performance on the field.

And that once they were reasonably out of contention -- which came earlier this year than all but one year in franchise history -- it's very possible that human nature kicked in and SOME players felt like trying your hardest to help the team win was a chump's game.   When management clearly doesn't care enough to bench the worst player in baseball history, why should I care about winning.   At best I'll go out there and try to put up the best personal stats I can.   But caring about doing the little things to help a team win?   Why?   The manager doesn't.

They did bench him, twice.

I think the players understand that Davis' contact is a factor.

Archived